What do you eat when you're on a budget?

Options
Ive found that when my money is "funny" its a little harder to eat healthy. Its alot harder to plan. Planning is one of the most important part of the weight loss process, so let me know what you eat.

Replies

• bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    salad
    rice
    beans

I can get enough salad fixings for a week's worth of lunches for about $20-25 at Trader Joe's (and I'll throw in a hard-boiled egg for protein, so I don't get hungry immediately after lol). Rice and beans are staple "cheap" foods and you can mix them up in soups or with veggies and stuff so it's not really boring. I realize rice is a huge enormous carb, but I'll eat it as part of whatever meal precedes my next workout, so I have some energy to burn off.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Well, it's EASIER for me to plan because I am on a limited budget. I plan out most all of my meals in advance and that alone saves me a lot of money at the grocery store....I do not buy it unless it's on my list.

I cook most all my food, and that saves money. Two talapia fillets are $4 and a pound of zuchinni is a dollar and that's dinner for two nights. When I buy stuff for tacos, the ingredients last me for at least four meals. I buy those giant bags of frozen chicken breasts and those last me a good two weeks, easily, with chicken for sandwiches, salads, and wraps.

I buy flexible items. Tortillas are a staple for me because you can use them for every meal (breakfast burittos, tacos, wraps, etc). Same with english muffins (low cal, and I use them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner). I buy whats on sale and use the hell out of my local stores club card. I plan my menu around what is on sale at the store, actually if I can, too. Last week there was a SUPER sale on tuna so I got about five cans and that's MANY MANY lunches for me for about $5. A head of iceburg lettuce is about a dollar, which is cheaper than bagged salad, so I will often buy that instead if I'm really scraping by. And, again, I can use lettuce or spinach in a million different things.