PTs? People who have had PTs? People who would like a PT?

Replies

• MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    I had a PT and now I don't. He was really good and explained a lot to me but he was so flakey! I could never get a set day of the week to workout. It was always "Ill text you the next time I am available". I told him right from the start, "I need at least 2 days a week with you" - he agreed to that but now that I think about it, the most we ever worked out was once a week. I just don't think that is a way to do business. When I finally did get a hold of him, he always acted like it was all my fault (Not sure how, with me being the customer and all)

Where I'm from, I am a big fish in a small pond. I have a lot of very prominent contacts just through my work (I work at a college and have a very high level job that is also very public). You better believe that I'm yelling out to all my colleagues and friends about his performance and commitment. Around here, word of mouth is a big thing.

If I could hire another trainer in this small town, I would do so in a heartbeat. But I am so disgusted by my PT's lack of commitment that I'm at the point where I believe that I can just do it all on my own.

So, just make sure you are honest and up front with your clients. Lay it all out for them so that they know what to expect and when (and then keep that commitment). I think I would have been happier if he said "I can't work out with you because you smell" than to be led on and lied to.

I am not worried so much about the lack of results as I saw some people post....I am the one who needs to put forth the effort. I don't expect my trainer to take the blame for that. It's pretty much the same as anything....it's what you put into it.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    I had a PT for approx 3 months & loved it.

What i loved:
    *I was accountable - to be there when i planned
    *I learned how to use certain parts of the gym
    *I learned how to use my body to do things without machines
    *She focused on overall body recomp
    & she was personable. Just balanced enough to still get the job done.
    *flexibility (financially) she allowed me & my SIL to train together (as were were the same body type / size) and only charged us one fee... this made it much easier to continue our sessions.

What i would have preferred be different:
    *although i know it's probably not the objective of a PT (as it's their profession) I wish she'd had made it a little easier to continue what i'd learned outside of our sessions - i wrote down as much as i could & still do some of what she taught. But some kind of schedule or goal plan (written for me) would have been nice - so I could someday take hold of my own training.
    *nutrition. I know this is a gray area b/c PTs aren't Nutritionist, & mine vaguely covered what SHE ate - but quite frankly she's in the gym at least 8 hrs a day, i am not lol... it would have been nice if some kind of general meal plan accompanied our training...

But all in all, she is one of the major stepping stones that got me into the gym hardcore so i am very thankful for her.
  • I started my fitness/diet journey December 2011: hired a PT and stuck with him for 6 months. Liked the guy, but wasn't seeing any results. When he moved on to greener pastures, I joined another gym and hired another PT-who was completely useless. Poor knowlege base and unmotivated himself. I'm not paying someone to stand next to me while I run the treadmill. This one refused/avoided getting me anywhere near the weight room. Fired his DA... Next guy was a powerlifter-he's on youtube lifting heavy junk. He was all caught up in a personal crisis. Didn't talk (literaly). Just grunted and pointed at stuff. he did teach me great lifting form!
    Now, I've just walked into the gym, got the firness manager, and TOLD him we were doing Stronglifts! Made it clear his job was to make sure I didn't hurt myself, correct form, motivate, and teach me the in's and out's of the weightroom so I would eventualy be confident in there by myself...
    I have been SOOOOOOOOO dissapointed with the quality of PT's out there. Check out JCD Fitness and Body Improvements-they are my go to guys

Good luck
  • akillaah
    akillaah Posts: 22 Member
    my personal trainer is absolutely amazing. She cares a lot about me and my goals and making it happen no matter what the cost - i wasn't just about the sale to her and I've never felt that way about her in the slightest. She is understanding, but still firm and makes sure that I stay committed and motivated as well as have fun and enjoy exercising. She is very creative with my work out routines and tries not to do the same exercise twice in a short time span. I don't know, I just really love her passion for the job and her want to see me succeed as much as I do - if not more! Lol! I wanna do good for me, but I also want to do good for her since, even though I'm paying her, she really commits 150% to me always and I don't want to give her a reason to doubt me I guess.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    If I could afford a Personal Trainer I would want...

Someone who remembers my name when we meet up.
    Someone who is as committed to my weight loss/work out training as I am
    -- sometimes more so on those days I just want to throw in the towel.
    Someone who WILL hold me accountable (without being a jerk about it.)
    Someone who is consistent, punctual, tidy/presentable, flexible to work with
    Someone who puts together a tailored program for me, and keeps things not boring
    Someone who doesn't mind reshowing me some basics and won't hesitate to correct my form if they see me screwing it up.
    --remember, HOW you say I am doing it wrong is just as important as correcting me.
    Someone who is absolutely approachable without losing professionalism.
    Someone who has the education to back up what they are trying to educate me on
    Someone who clearly benefits from his/her own advice (do NOT be obviously overweight and telling me how to get in shape.)
  • I had my share of personal trainers and gained a lot of information but exericising and diets seem to change a lot, so I come here often for advice. Recently I had this great wellness/PT coach. First she worked out of her home, and not at a gym. She provided a few different options with bootcamp style. She really kicked my butt and loved it. She also provided/helped with my diary and changed a lot of it. She was quite reasonable too. The reason I'm not going to her right now is fiances (even with her reasonable prices). I think what makes a great PT is that you change it up a bit and not some borning routine you get at a gym. Anyone can learn stuff and go from there but it's those PT that really push you hard. It also helps that you are just not a client but a friend.

I definitely agree with a lot of that. I think that being a friend is important, but still maintaining a balance so that the client doesn't feel that they can distract with the friendship. I'm not sure I put that as clearly as I would like- but I see a lot of trainers at my gym spending their hour chatting about love lives and gossip and not getting much else done. If we can get our work done, then tell me anything you like :)

However, I am aware that with some older adults in particular this may also be a social event for them, so making it effective but social is important to me.

I agree, you don't want to be too chatty. I guess What I meant by friend is that someone that really cares about their goals and really wants to help them, rather caring about making a few bucks off of them. My coach actually reduced her prices so she can achieve people's goals.
  • If I could afford a Personal Trainer I would want...

Someone who remembers my name when we meet up.
    Someone who is as committed to my weight loss/work out training as I am
    -- sometimes more so on those days I just want to throw in the towel.
    Someone who WILL hold me accountable (without being a jerk about it.)
    Someone who is consistent, punctual, tidy/presentable, flexible to work with
    Someone who puts together a tailored program for me, and keeps things not boring
    Someone who doesn't mind reshowing me some basics and won't hesitate to correct my form if they see me screwing it up.
    --remember, HOW you say I am doing it wrong is just as important as correcting me.
    Someone who is absolutely approachable without losing professionalism.
    Someone who has the education to back up what they are trying to educate me on
    Someone who clearly benefits from his/her own advice (do NOT be obviously overweight and telling me how to get in shape.)

I agree. I had a trainer that always rescheduled on me. It was so fustrating that ended up me leaving
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    I have been working with a personal trainer for about five months now and it has been well worth the money. I work with him twice a week. He keeps me motivated and even on the days we don't work together he comes and makes sure that I am exercising properly. He has taught me alot about nutrition. He has me lifting heavy something I didn't think I would be able to do. He pushes me out of my comfort zone which is what I want. Just in the 5 months I have worked with him I have lost 70 pounds. My husband is also working with the same trainer and he has gotten great results as well.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I've had 3 PTs.. and each one was different so I have a pretty broad view of what I think a PT should be.

Main things for me:
    Be on time
    Actually listen to what I have to say( My first PT did not listen for ****, and wound up throwing out my back three times)
    Take measurements(none of my PT's have done this, but I do this myself, so it's not a major requirement)
    Figure out their goals and how you are going to respond to them
    Encourage but don't be too peppy(my current trainer does an excellent job with that one)
    Give a copy of the program so that your client can repeat it on their own
    Focus on them and them alone.. not others around you(my current trainer sort of has an issue with this, but I'm fixing that)

I think thats my main points.. if I have anymore, I'll add them.
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Several years ago the gym I was at had a PT who for a small fee would teach you how to use the machines. It was a 6 lessons at 1/2 hour each. It was all I could afford. I loved this woman. She was friendly with a good sense of humour and motivating. I was sorry I couldn't hire her for more. I later left that gym since it was going downhill fast.

I posted this recently about my experience at my current gym. I had a problem with a PT's sales tactics.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/668220-sales-pitch-truth-or-bit-of-both

Once of the things that bothered me about her was that during the sales pitch she asked me all sorts of questions, then used it against me. For example, she had asked me for a fitness goal and I said, "I want to dance at my grandkids' weddings" (which will be many years from now as my kids are 18 and 20). Later on when I was debating about signing up due to the costs, she threw this in my face asking, "do you still intend to be around for your grandchildrens' weddings?". Suggesting that if I didn't sign up with her I'd be dead in no time. That's not the type of person I want to be around.
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Wow, you guys sound like you would make some pretty great clients, too. I love to see all this enthusiasm for lifting heavy!

The quoting system on MFP leaves a lot to be desired, so it makes it a bit difficult to respond to everyone, but I'm getting so much great input here.

The measurement of progress thing is so important. I'm sorry to those of you who not only didn't see much by way of results, but had no way of seeing your progression. I have to admit that I hate writing anything down (even grocery lists) but I'd better get my butt in gear and track EVERYTHING for my clients.

I mean, ultimately, personal training is what my clients want, their goals, combined with my knowledge, empathy, and resources.

This is really helpful for me in regards to planning my consultation stages. Of course I've thought all about what I can offer my clients, but without knowing what they want or need, that isn't constructive for either of us.

I'm glad I am hearing more positive than negative stories about your dealings with PTs.

Let me ask this, and I imagine I'll get varied answers- how much info do you want, as a client? I love well-written articles (good science, not fad stuff) and I believe that the more a client can learn about their own bodies, the more prepared they will be to take care of it. I love to share anatomy, movement, and nutrition information. Is that welcome for you, or would you prefer to just learn in the gym, have your workout written out (coherently) and do your own research?
  • vanillarama
    Several years ago the gym I was at had a PT who for a small fee would teach you how to use the machines. It was a 6 lessons at 1/2 hour each. It was all I could afford. I loved this woman. She was friendly with a good sense of humour and motivating. I was sorry I couldn't hire her for more. I later left that gym since it was going downhill fast.

I posted this recently about my experience at my current gym. I had a problem with a PT's sales tactics.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/668220-sales-pitch-truth-or-bit-of-both

Once of the things that bothered me about her was that during the sales pitch she asked me all sorts of questions, then used it against me. For example, she had asked me for a fitness goal and I said, "I want to dance at my grandkids' weddings" (which will be many years from now as my kids are 18 and 20). Later on when I was debating about signing up due to the costs, she threw this in my face asking, "do you still intend to be around for your grandchildrens' weddings?". Suggesting that if I didn't sign up with her I'd be dead in no time. That's not the type of person I want to be around.

The sales pitch part is the part I hate the most, and is probably a weak point of mine- I do realize I have to market myself, but I know how I feel when people are trying to sell hard to me. I need to work on it though- it is important in this business, whether I like it or not.

The grandchildren comment is totally out of order though.

Edit: WHOA I just read that thread. That's crazy money. And a very bad approach by the PT :(
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    I've never had one.. but I am one ;) Been one for 9 years.
  • vanillarama
    Any suggestions welcome, jnero!
  • karenbethrn
    karenbethrn Posts: 56 Member
    I had a personal trainer once and I learned one thing... I'm paying for it, pay attention to ME. I hated it that he was always paying attention elsewhere, talking to other trainers, other employees, etc. I felt like, whats the point? I know how to use machines. I wanted a trainer to help me achieve my results. It was too easy. I felt like I was paying him to stand there and look pretty. Told me to run on the treadmill when I never have and am really afraid to since I'm uncoordinated and feel like I'm gonna fall. Just a bad experience. I'll be more picky next time. After all, its my money.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    I've had 2 PTs, the first was a female significantly smaller than me (height and weight), so I was never confident that she could stop me falling and this hampered me with certain exercises. She was nice, friendly, but there was no cohesion to our sessions. Also, I had specifically stated that I wanted to do strength training, but she preferred to stay out of the weights room. I stopped using her services, but I am still on friendly terms with her.

I stopped using a PT for while, but I had lost a lot of weight doing cardio, and realised I needed to do strength training but had no idea what to do. I then went for a PT that was a big guy who spent a lot of time either in the weights room or on the mats. I told him what I wanted and we have stuck to that with great results. He pushes me, writes regular programes for me and if I complain about a part of my body, he will help me target that area. We have been working out together since February and we get along great. He always chats to me when he sees me in the gym and refers to me by my name. The only issue I have is booking a convenient spot is sometimes difficult, but I can put up with that.

There are 8 PTs that work out of my gym, and there are only 2 others I would consider working out with for varying reasons, so I am intending to keep working out with my current PT for the time being.

Good luck.
  • karenbethrn
    karenbethrn Posts: 56 Member

Let me ask this, and I imagine I'll get varied answers- how much info do you want, as a client? I love well-written articles (good science, not fad stuff) and I believe that the more a client can learn about their own bodies, the more prepared they will be to take care of it. I love to share anatomy, movement, and nutrition information. Is that welcome for you, or would you prefer to just learn in the gym, have your workout written out (coherently) and do your own research?

As a nurse, I know about nutrition and anatomy. I want to know what is gonna get me the results the fastest. I know absolutely nothing about lifting. I only know how to use the machines, not which ones are gonna get me that result, or how much to weight to put on it. Don't get me wrong, its all appreciated, but not necessary. Protein shakes are my weakness. I don't know what to do there. Dunno if this helps you at all.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I could become a certified personal trainer through my local community college in just 4 months!

Regardless of my practical common knowledge and advice of diet and activity, I could be in a position to charge others to dispense that common knowledge to others!

Yeah, certification means nothing to me either.

If you feel you need one, get one.

If you feel the need to be one, do so because you stand out from other typical personal trainers.

Otherwise, I'd troll personal trainers. But that's just me

m223813421.jpg
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Being a woman, I love hearing encouragement. Hearing that I did well, I am getting better, whatever. I also like to talk about food. Know your food. When I have a bad day with food, telling me "like it is" (as in, "that was a poor choice"... no *kitten*)doesn't work (most of the time), I do like suggestions to make my decisions better though. My first PT was wonderful. SHe was a woman, and understood how we roll, but didn't push me enough. My second was a guy, and he kept telling me "That's terrible!" "Come on, you can do better than that!"... I'm sorry, that doesnt work for me, that makes me want to quit. My current trainer is a bit of a mix. He pushes me, and when I tell him that I can't do something, he tells me that I can, or will increase the weight to "punish my bad attitude". I also don't want things to be too serious. Have some conversations about stupid things. I like to chit chat.
  • Honestly....I think the fact that you have lost a good amount of weight yourself, would help your clients in a way that maybe someone that has always been fit wouldn't. To be able to say "I was once where you are"....with pictures to prove it, is motivation in itself.

Best of luck to you!