A healthy alternative?

Shrimpy
Shrimpy Posts: 14
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
... or am I kidding myself? I made some banana oat muffins today in favour of shop boughts cakes/biscuits. I am rubbish at nutritional content at the moment (haven't quite got my head around "good" and "bad" levels so could someone please tell me If these are OK or awful.

Thanks! xx

Ingredients:
100g oats
200g plain flour
1 egg
100g light brown sugar
4 bananas
Handful of pumpkin and sunflower seeds
60g butter (I had run out of olive oil)
Baking powder
Bicarbonate of soda

Nutritional Info:

12 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 194.1

Total Fat 6.0 g

Saturated Fat 3.0 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 1.0 g

Monounsaturated Fat 1.7 g

Cholesterol 26.5 mg

Sodium 211.7 mg

Potassium 218.3 mg

Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g

Dietary Fiber 10.3 g

Sugars 5.1 g

Protein 3.6 g

Vitamin A 4.2 %

Vitamin B-12 0.7 %

Vitamin B-6 12.6 %

Vitamin C 6.0 %

Vitamin D 0.5 %

Vitamin E 4.4 %

Calcium 4.5 %

Copper 6.2 %

Folate 4.2 %

Iron 4.0 %

Magnesium 7.9 %

Manganese 25.1 %

Niacin 1.9 %

Pantothenic Acid 3.5 %

Phosphorus 8.6 %

Riboflavin 4.4 %

Selenium 3.6 %

Thiamin 5.7 %

Zinc 4.2 %

Replies

• Shrimpy
    Sorry about the HUGE amount of space it takes up ~ wasn't sure how to condense it.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I'm no expert - but they seem reasonable enough to me. The things I tend to watch carefully are fat, sodium, cholesterol and the overall carb/fat/protein breakdown. These aren't real high in calories (some muffins are ridiculous!) and they have a good amount of fiber, sodium's reasonable and fat isn't too high. Certainly not something you'd want to eat a bunch of - moderation is key, but as an occasional snack you could certainly do a lot worse!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    They look (and sound) pretty good to me! If I were eating one for breakfast, I would want to up the protein content. Maybe use whole wheat flour? Another egg? Some kind of nut?
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    mmmm!! Sounds good.

I can't say I'm an expert either, but it's better you made them yourself. Packaged and store made usually have different additives to "keep" on the shelves longer. Plus YOU know what you put in them. Bananas are good for you and so is oats. I think you're good. Just be careful HOW much you eat of them - too much can just be as bad as one or two of the other sweet stuff.
  • Shrimpy
    Thanks guys, the plan is just to have 1 with a cup of tea in the morning of afternoon a couple of times a week when my hubbys home instead of the usual cream cake or sugar filled muffin. Sounds daft but it's a little ritual of ours. We get very little time alone together so this is our time ... I sound so lame :o)
    I plan on making blueberry muffins with wholemeal flour too when these are done.
  • Good parts:
    Monounsaturated Fat 1.7 g - These are good, google "flat-belly diet".
    Sodium 211.7 mg - low = good
    Potassium 218.3 mg - high = good
    Dietary Fiber 10.3 g - high = good (I try to find breakfast cereal with at least 5g dietary fiber/serving)
    Sugars 5.1 g - for a muffin, this is low = good
    Protein 3.6 g - for a muffin, this is high = good

Nice recipe, i may steal it from you. :)
This discussion has been closed.