Cardio

Options
Ok so I've been asking on all the different opinions regarding cardio. Some of my fitness friends/trainer have made these comments:
- Its what you eat that counts. Even if you don't workout but you eat a balanced diet you will loose.
- Cardio is over rated...strength training will make you loose inches and build muscle which will burn the fat. So 10/15mins a day of cardio as a warm up/down is enough.
- Cardio is a MUST.
- Cardio will burn calories and thats it. If you do only cardio and burn more than what your intake is you will loose but be flabby.

So you can see why I am a bit confused. I need to loose a good 60lbs to be at my goal......Any opinions???

Replies

• Tisha9377
    Tisha9377 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I took the first three weeks getting used to meeting my calorie goals and allowing it to sink in that this is what I want for my life for the rest of my life. I was sick too, but I didn't really get ANY exercise. This week I have committed myself to 30 minutes of cardio a day. I can tell you that I feel the difference. I have more energy, but I am also more hungry. I have alot of weight to lose myself. I dont want to be healthy but with all this loose skin, so I am trying to lose weight at a good pace. They say the slower it comes off, the more permanent it will be. I am big on skin care and muscle gain. I been tracking my measurements so that when I dont lose weight I will still see a loss in inches which is all that really matters to me. I am trying to whittle my middle. I think cardio is important for our heart, but I think strength training is more important so that we do not get sagging skin. I love to participate in the mini challenges throughout the week. You test your own strength that way and can keep it going with the challenges. I have to say that I am only 4 days into my COMMITTMENT to Cardio 30 minutes a day, but seeing it increase my appetite is kind of scarey. I'm sticking to 1200 calories a day because I am super short and of course by adding the cardio it is increasing my calories to around 1450 with that added exercise. I had told myself that I was not going to eat the extra calories, but finding myself hungry I really dont have a choice in the matter. How long have you been on MFP? How are you doing? And what are your goals and order of importance? I am in the midst of week four and down 10lbs. I'm very happy with that! And I think with adding exercise now I will see more progress this coming month. I plan to get in as much strength training and skin care daily so that I am taking care of my whole body!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    Cardio and strength training both have a place, but for losing weight the primary part is what you eat, that is, eating less calories than your burn. Having said that, it is very easy to lose weight that is made up of a lot more muscle loss than would be ideal leading to a body that is lighter, but still fairly fat. That is where exercise comes in. Cardio in shorter durations will help keep some of that muscle while increasing your calorie burn. Strength training, especially heavy lifting, will often result in slower weight loss, but a greater loss of fat and retaining of muscle leading to a more fit look that losing weigh with diet alone will result in. I personally do both, and wish I had done both from the beginning.
  • Michelleanon
    Michelleanon Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your opinions. I think that realistically both cardio and strength training are the way the way to go along with healthy eating. It has become so much more complicated over the years with what is right/wrong....I have lost 30lbs doing a mix of everything..but it just seems to take forever..I think I really do need to buckle down and be more determined. I am so good in the week and eat well on the weekend but I do like my wine (on the weekend only) and I think that has REALLY slowed me down...Thanks for the advice :)