New to MFP; anyone else have gym anxiety?

Options

Replies

• jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have anxiety sometimes when going to the gym, especially if it's a new class. Before I started lifting weights I would freak myself out. But in the end, no one cares, and if they do, then they aren't working out hard enough.

My advice is just go and get it over with. The more you go to the gym you'll get into a routine and focus on what you're doing, not what everyone else might be thinking. In the end those are your thoughts anyway! If you focus on what you want three months from now, realize that the only way to get it is to work out, and just go go go, and notice that people aren't paying attention to you.

Good luck, and get going!
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i used to have this too, but i think about the people in the Biggest Loser, and they can do it on national TV, and achieve their goals, then i can go to the gym and achieve mine, yes its better said than done, but if you are in this for the right reasons, other people shouldnt bother you, i usually get complaments from regulars that see my progress, get out there and do you baby
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is to go in with a plan. If you feel unsure of yourself, you're more likely to start thinking other people are looking at you. And they probably aren't; most people go to the gym to do their own workouts, not to watch other people working out. (That One Guy goes to the gym to load plates on the bar and then sit on the bench chatting and drinking coffee. THAT'S the guy we all judge; don't be that guy.)

If you can, set up a couple visits with a personal trainer and explain that you want a plan, get them to show you all the exercises and check your form. If you can't, at least make a list of the exercises you want to do; practice them at home a couple of times (seriously, put a soup can in your hand and pretend it's a dumbbell - you'll get the feeling of the movement without the weight), take a deep breath and go for it. Everyone was a beginner at some point, and you will be surprised how quickly you shed that beginner feeling.

And if someone does say something rude to you (which they won't) that somone is a jerk, and you can safely disregard their opinion.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    If you want to go to the gym but are dealing with anxiety, I would do a few things.

First (and most importantly) - Know that there may be a few *kitten*, but the majority of the people there are cheering you on. I'm a gym rat and I can promise you that *I* would be cheering you on.

Second - If you're nervous because you don't know what to do at the gym, I recommend always going in with a plan (I'm going to use the treadmill for 30 minutes! I'm going to squat, deadlift and bench press! I'm going to jump rope, split squats, and body rows! etc.) so that you don't feel lost. Also, read up about form for exercises you want to do that *seem* complicated (like weightlifting). They're usually not that complicated at all, but it's best to go in armed with knowledge!

Third - If you're still nervous about knowing what to do, hire a trainer for a couple of sessions or find a gym-going friend to go with you. They can show you the ropes and help you get confident that you know what you're doing.

Good luck!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I workout at home.

However, back in January I joined a running group. The first night that I was scheduled to attend the class I drove all the way there, looked inside and panicked. Everyone was all decked out in what I thought at the time was appropriate running gear... meanwhile I was wearing a sweatshirt and sweat pants! LOL I felt like a loser and thought for sure that everyone would be judging me...so, being the big baby that I am, I turned the car around, started crying and drove all the way home. I was so mad at myself!

Of course, the week after I made sure that I bought myself a nice new pair of workout pants and a new workout jacket. It still wasn't the expensive running room attire that I thought everyone else was wearing, but I felt so much better putting it on. It gave me confidence. So, I literally forced myself to go and I am so glad that I did as I made some new friends and I am now running three times per week (a 5km distance). And hey, that night I was surprised because someone else in the class was wearing a pair of sweatpants too!

Sometimes our own personal insecurities make moutains out of mole hills. What I suggest you do is do what you need to do to make yourself feel a bit more confident, and then walk into that gym like you own it! No one is judging you...they are all there to do the same thing as you...get fit and be healthy! :)
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1, when I started to going to the gym for real I was in my early 30's, I weighed 315lbs, I'd get winded getting up a flight of stairs, had minimal upper body strength at best and was worried people would watch and judge me because I was a big guy and so therefore should be able to bench 300lbs right out of the gate. What I made myself realize is you can't get to the top without starting at the bottom. My advice throw together some good steady play-lists on your ipod, go in with a plan of attack for body parts you'll be working for the day and get into your zone, true gym goers do not give a crap what you look like as long as you are trying. Don't just roam around looking lost, don't camp out on equipment texting people, if you're on a machine you are unfamiliar with ask a staff member or look at the equipment itself, most come with pictures and written directions. If you really feel uncomfortable most gyms offer a free trainer for a few sessions at least, utilize this tool! They will show you how to use gear and help you with a workout routine. Either live in fear or conquer it, your choice!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out I was self conscious and nervous because I didn't want to look stupid because I didn't know what the hell I was doing lol. I could see our gym from my living room window and I would wait until everyone left before going over there. After I got more comfortable with my workout routine and started seeing a little progress I was able to workout with people around, it just stopped bothering me. It took me the longest to have my boyfriend see me workout because he is skinny. But we worked out together once and I was able to go longer than him! It made me more confident and now we do most of our workouts together. So I think it just takes some getting used to, might be uncomfortable at first but you'll get over it! Plus the more you do it and the more results you get, the better you will feel and it'll be easier.
  • TaterTotz7
    TaterTotz7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a gym anxiety. My solution: Don't go to the gym.

Everything you can do at a gym, you can do in your own home, or outside. Read up on body weight strength training and do something you enjoy and doesn't require equipment for your cardio!

Most importantly: Have fun. If it turns into a chore, you're going to end up quitting before you reach any goals.

THis...I dont go to the gym either
  • funsteps
    funsteps Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used to hate the idea of going to the gym and I still prefer to work out at home. It helps to remember that everyone at the gym is there to better themselves, whether they weigh 450lb or 100lb. Everyone is focused on their workout. I rarely pay attention to anyone at the gym unless they're being obnoxious (yelling on the phone, grunting WAY TOO LOUD while lifting weights) and I never cast judgement on anyone's workout. If someone focusing so heavily on me and worrying about how I look or what I'm doing, they must not be too worried about what they're working on, and I'll probably pass them up one day because of that.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I was nervous as hell the first time I went to the Rec Center at Texas A&M. I'd lifted in high school, but it's so different.

I was nervous about it and from the first time I walked in even though I was probably stronger than 80% of the guys in the gym, and knew what I was doing on most exercises.

If it makes you feel more comfortable I'd just like to say that gym anxiety is pretty common, and it's not just limited to those who don't know what they're doing or feel like they shouldn't be there.
  • commandax
    commandax Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was scared to death to walk into the muay thai gym for the first time, and it took me years to get up the guts to actually do it. It was a very hardcore environment, a dirty old warehouse full of boxing gear and hard men. Three months later, all of those tough, intimidating guys are really sweet and supportive and I look forward to going in and kicking my own *kitten* every day.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I flat out refuse to go to a gym. Ain't gonna happen. I lost over 90 pounds by walking and controlling what I ate. And am now maintaining just fine. We're all different and can succeed with different approaches.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from personal experience, NO ONE JUDGES YOU AT THE GYM.

The majority of people are very supportive and they think you are better off than the population that isn't trying.

When i first started i never was made fun of, or anything.

Just go, once you get the feel for it, you will never want to stop going.

Best advice on this specific forum.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    90 percent of the people going to the gym, are cheering you on, honestly.

I'm currently 230 pounds. and had the same anxiety as you, and had it the first couple weeks. Then one day, a woman that was at least 300 pounds came in, got on the treadmill, and started walking. She was panting, heavily, and sweating in 5 minutes, all I could think was "Good for her".. and then it hit me, that's what everyone is thinking. People don't look down on you for working out, they look down on you for not working out.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is to go in with a plan. If you feel unsure of yourself, you're more likely to start thinking other people are looking at you. And they probably aren't; most people go to the gym to do their own workouts, not to watch other people working out. (That One Guy goes to the gym to load plates on the bar and then sit on the bench chatting and drinking coffee. THAT'S the guy we all judge; don't be that guy.)

If you can, set up a couple visits with a personal trainer and explain that you want a plan, get them to show you all the exercises and check your form. If you can't, at least make a list of the exercises you want to do; practice them at home a couple of times (seriously, put a soup can in your hand and pretend it's a dumbbell - you'll get the feeling of the movement without the weight), take a deep breath and go for it. Everyone was a beginner at some point, and you will be surprised how quickly you shed that beginner feeling.

And if someone does say something rude to you (which they won't) that somone is a jerk, and you can safely disregard their opinion.

AWESOME advice!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I learned an expensive lesson about gym-phobia... if you have it, you are more likely to get taken advantage of by the gym's sales staff. This happened to me. I was gym-phobic but joined one anyway because it was convenient and then got roped into buying 12 personal training sessions because I felt like having someone there to guide me through things (and keep me company) would be helpful. $1200 later I didn't lose much weight/inches, my trainer was a club kid that had very little knowledge of fitness/nutrition aside from understanding how to use the machines, and once the training sessions were over (and I couldn't afford more) I lost all motivation to go to the gym because I didn't want to go it alone. Moral of the story? Calculate how much money you would spend on a gym membership then put that towards buying fitness machines for your home and make sure you have someplace to put them where you'll actually use them!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had gym anxiety. It's true, though, no one will make fun of you for being there. However, if you aren't confident enough to go yet, no big deal. Do it at home.

I lost my first 35 pounds using my Wii and the EA Active Personal Trainer game... got me into shape nice and quick! :) And it all happened in the privacy of my living room with only my dogs and husband to gawk at me. :) Luckily husband and dogs learned to stay upstairs while I was working out... I tend to swear a lot.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    the one time I tried to go to a gym (years ago) some cute girls leaving remarked that it was "too late " for me. i have yet to work up the courage to go back to a gym. i feel you have to look a certain way to get in or something. i know it's silly, but I'm still not going until I lose some weight .
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    the one time I tried to go to a gym (years ago) some cute girls leaving remarked that it was "too late " for me. i have yet to work up the courage to go back to a gym. i feel you have to look a certain way to get in or something. i know it's silly, but I'm still not going until I lose some weight .

Ain't nothing "cute' about those girls. Vituperative snakes. I hope you get to the place where you know how much better you are than them and can confidently go show them up in work outs. I say this as someone who has been in your shoes.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Disrespectful people are everywhere.

Don't listen to them. The only person that keeps you from the gym is you.

While I understand it is hurtful, just realize that there will ALWAYS be someone to open their mouth and say something rude.

Shrug it off, move on. Show them you are the stronger person by coming back and staying back.

When you let them get to you and quit, you just let them win.

EDIT: I am a little surprised though, i have never received a negative comment from the gym.