The 11 Best Foods You Aren't Eating (NYT)

HonestOmnivore
HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/the-11-best-foods-you-arent-eating/

This is a re-post of an article from June of 2008 - but it's great information! I've been working to incorporate all of these foods into my diet - some are MUCH easier than others :bigsmile:

The article is short and worth the read so go and take a look!

Here's the list -

Beets
Cabbage
Swiss Chard
Cinnamen
Pomegranate Juice
Prunes
Pumpkin Seeds
Sardines
Turmeric
Frozen Blueberries
Canned Pumpkin

I try to add blueberries to my breakfast at least 3 days a week, and I stock sardines in olive oil, mustard, or tomatoe sauce in our cupboard (but I don't eat them more than once a month), I've used canned pumpkin in baking...

Any ideas?:huh:

Replies

• I buy the pre-shredded cabbage and put it in a frying pan with water (instead of oil or butter), then I add garlic and curry powder (but you can add any spice you like) and sometimes use salsa for extra taste.

Turmeric is good on roasted potatoes, or if you slice the potatoes really thin and cook them up in the frying pan (or plop them in tin foil and bake) with a small amount of oil/margarine and the turmeric.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Try Cinnamon Almonds for a healthy snack! Wow! Are they good! But don't eat too many! We weighed them on our food scale and 25 of the ones we get weigh 1 oz.
  • I mix canned pumpkin in with my oatmeal in the morning. It really helps me, because I don't really like the consistancy of oatmeal, so adding pumpkin to it makes it smoother (and I can tell myself I'm almost eating dessert!) :wink: I alternate pumpkin some days with unsweetened applesauce on others, and I also add cinnamon - there's two in one meal! If it's a strength training day for me, I throw my protein powder right in there, and I'm full forever! Hope this helps!
  • AngelaBeaulieu
    AngelaBeaulieu Posts: 109 Member
    that all sounds so good, think I will try some of those ideas.

I also buy the shredded cabbage add a bit of water and mix in some chicken sometimes some rice . . . so yummy!
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Swiss chard is good sauteed in olive oil and served along with quinoa. Same for beet greens. Beets are best pickled or served as a borscht soup OR cold atop salad.

Turmeric can be added to chicken broth or chicken soup.

Cinnamon can be added to coffee grounds before brewing or added to oatmeal or other hot cereals.

Pumpkin seeds are good on salads or coleslaw, speaking of which is a great use for cabbage - serve with a mustard seed vinaigrette. Also sauerkraut is an awesome fermented food for digestive health.

I'd skip the pomegranate juice (glorified sugar) and eat a whole pomegranate. They're pricy (2-2.50/each), but a good treat now and again.

I second the pumpkin in the oatmeal (or yogurt)....soooooo good.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    I mix canned pumpkin in with my oatmeal in the morning. It really helps me, because I don't really like the consistancy of oatmeal, so adding pumpkin to it makes it smoother (and I can tell myself I'm almost eating dessert!) :wink: I alternate pumpkin some days with unsweetened applesauce on others, and I also add cinnamon - there's two in one meal! If it's a strength training day for me, I throw my protein powder right in there, and I'm full forever! Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the pumpkin idea
  • If you have a hard time with regular oatmeal texture, try McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal. Oh Man!!! It is really good! It is sort of nutty tasting to me. You actually have to chew it! It is wonderful. I put a cup of blueberries in it with 2 tsps of brown sugar and some cinnamon and ground cloves. Delish!!!!!!!
  • HonestOmnivore
    bump
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    If you have a hard time with regular oatmeal texture, try McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal. Oh Man!!! It is really good! It is sort of nutty tasting to me. You actually have to chew it! It is wonderful. I put a cup of blueberries in it with 2 tsps of brown sugar and some cinnamon and ground cloves. Delish!!!!!!!

Do you follow the instructions on the can to cook? I bought a can a week ago and wasn't sure if it was necessary - but sounds like it may be.
  • I add cinnamon to my morning coffee daily. I also recommend the pumpkin oatmeal. You can add cinnamon in with the oatmeal too.
    Tumeric is found in McCormick's curry powder. I use curry powder in almost all rice that I'm cooking and also lentils,cooked spinach, black beans, soups, etc.
  • HonestOmnivore
    Oh YUM! I'm going to try curry in my black beans tonight!
This discussion has been closed.