Tips/tricks/products for thin, oily hair?

Options
2»

Replies

• saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the extra conditioner make it worse? I appreciate your input, thank you very much, I just don't get the logic behind that, could you explain?? :flowerforyou:

Oddly enough, it doesn't make it worse.

I think the idea is that the greasiness you get is from your own scalp producing too much oil. And your scalp produces too much oil when it becomes too dried-out from shampoo, not too oily from conditioner. Using conditioner/water will carry away any excess oil, but not dry it out.

There's only so much your hair can absorb before the excess washes out... but your scalp can keep producing oil all day and now you can't rinse to excess out.

Who knows if this is right or not...
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* also a victim of the thin greasy hair club. Lol! I can only wash mine every other day because if I do it more often my hair will fall out (I'm talking bald spots here). I use rusk shampoo and conditioner and in between washes I depend on dry shampoo. First I started with John Freida but then I tried Big Sexy Hair's version and have not looked back. I spray in, wait a few moments, and use my blow dryer, then I brush it through. In a pinch I'll use the corn starch version of J&J baby powder and that works good only doesn't last all day like the dry shampoo does. Definitely get to thy grocery store and get dry shampoo, it will change your life :)

And I can get dry shampoo pretty much anywhere? I've looked for it before, but couldn't find it...Granted, I didn't scour all the aisles or anything, but I browsed the beauty section at a few places. What does it look like? I typically shop at Walmart, do they have it too?
  • thelaurameister
    Options
    Wouldn't the extra conditioner make it worse? I appreciate your input, thank you very much, I just don't get the logic behind that, could you explain?? :flowerforyou:

Oddly enough, it doesn't make it worse.

I think the idea is that the greasiness you get is from your own scalp producing too much oil. And your scalp produces too much oil when it becomes too dried-out from shampoo, not too oily from conditioner. Using conditioner/water will carry away any excess oil, but not dry it out.

There's only so much your hair can absorb before the excess washes out... but your scalp can keep producing oil all day and now you can't rinse to excess out.

Who knows if this is right or not...

Actually that does make sense now. Thanks!
  • Live4More
    Live4More Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I would wash my hair in the morning and it would be oily by the evening. One thing that I found that helped me was to do a final rinse in COLD water. It closes up the pores and delayed the oiliness somewhat. Don't know if this would give you much help as you are talking a 2-day period, but it's worth a try.
  • thelaurameister
    Options
    When I was younger I would wash my hair in the morning and it would be oily by the evening. One thing that I found that helped me was to do a final rinse in COLD water. It closes up the pores and delayed the oiliness somewhat. Don't know if this would give you much help as you are talking a 2-day period, but it's worth a try.

I will definitely be giving that a shot, can't hurt to try, right? Thanks!!