Need Paleo Help, Please!!

Options
I have POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome), which causes a whole host of symptoms, including digestive issues. My doctor initially put me on a gluten-free diet (which wasn't as hard as I thought it would be), but now has me on Paleo, and I cannot seem to stick to it no matter how hard I try! I get the most intense cravings for chocolate, candy, sweets....particularly after lunch and dinner. I need to lose about 15 pounds to get back to what I look like in my picture, but the continued sweets eating is probably what's killing me (I think one of the meds I'm on causes weight gain, but I'm sure my Paleo cheating binges don't help.)

Any advice for how to get past this, any Paleo foods that could be a substitute for my go-to Peanut Butter M&Ms, Chocolate Marshmallow ice cream, cookies, etc., etc., etc.?!?! I know all that stuff is crap, but can't seem to cut it out...any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Can you eat dairy? (Primal diet rather than Paleo). If you can, you can make some wonderful snacks from scratch that will ease the cravings and satiate your craving. I eat primal except I don't have milk, but make things like bounty balls, they are coconut in the middle dark chocolate (high cocoa content) on the outside. You can freeze them and grab one to nibble on, they are delicious.
  • sgpaschak
    Options
    I am primal, not strictly paleo, but when I have a craving for something sweeter I usually make a shake:

- 1/2 cup frozen berries (blue, black, raspberries, strawberries, etc)
    - 1 Scoop whey protein isolate
    - 1/2 - 1 cup of coconut milk ( I usually dilute my cocunut milk 1 in 4)
    - 1 tsp of premium cocoa powder

Tastes great, fills you up, hits the craving for something sweet, <25g of carbs. If I want to get my fats here as well I'll throw in half an avocado or a tablespoon of coconut oil, or just not dilute my coconut milk.

Also, as a treat, you can buy yourself some DARK (85% or greater) chocolate. This has very few carbs in it and can help satisfy your chocolate cravings. 3 squares of a Lindtt dark 85% bar is only 6 g of carbs. Again, not strictly paleo, but a nice low carb treat.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am primal, not strictly paleo, but when I have a craving for something sweeter I usually make a shake:

- 1/2 cup frozen berries (blue, black, raspberries, strawberries, etc)
    - 1 Scoop whey protein isolate
    - 1/2 - 1 cup of coconut milk ( I usually dilute my cocunut milk 1 in 4)
    - 1 tsp of premium cocoa powder

Tastes great, fills you up, hits the craving for something sweet, <25g of carbs. If I want to get my fats here as well I'll throw in half an avocado or a tablespoon of coconut oil, or just not dilute my coconut milk.

Also, as a treat, you can buy yourself some DARK (85% or greater) chocolate. This has very few carbs in it and can help satisfy your chocolate cravings. 3 squares of a Lindtt dark 85% bar is only 6 g of carbs. Again, not strictly paleo, but a nice low carb treat.

That shake sounds great, I think I will try it myself. I eat a lot of berries and always have some in. Thank you for sharing.
  • sconnors16
    Options
    Unfortunately, I am supposed to be no dairy as well, but cheating with a bit of dairy would probably be better than M&Ms, at least at the beginning! Those are great suggestions, thank you!!! Should the cravings eventually subside?
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Bump :) Good ideas here!
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    When I first began, I had crazy cravings for sugar. It lasted a few weeks and they have since disappeared.

Keep your chin up and truckin' along -- you'll get there!! You CAN do this! (:
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Have you tried really dark chocolate (like 70%+)? I find that just a tiny bite of it will satisfy any chocolate cravings.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Join the group lots of useful peoples and tips there

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/54-primal-paleo-support-group

also there are tonnes of paleo sweet treats :) My pinterest board has a lot of them (just click the picture)

http://pinterest.com/WeightWars/paleo-primal/
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm primal verging on paleo.

honey cinnamon tea is good. it's just hot water, cinnamon, and honey.

dark chocolate pieces

lara bars

my favorite right now is a bowl of almonds, shredded coconut, and chocolate or vanilla almond milk.

I know i have more, but am blanking right now.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I echo the dark chocolate suggestion and try some macadamia nuts. When I crave, it is usually because I have eaten too many of the wrong kind of carb for me, or have not taken in enough healthy fat.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Here's a stash of paleo/primal recipes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AniYCSPeVfKFdExNUE1xWFctV2V1YVFGSW13eHl0Vnc#gid=1

Also, there is a paleo/primal group on here too that might help. I have lots of paleo friends if you'd like to add me.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I used to have cravings like this when I was addicted to sugar. I'm no longer addicted after avoiding it now for 9 months. My biggest go-to food when I'm craving sweets really bad are dark chocolate with sea salt (sea salt soiree), but for you I'd suggest that you stay strict for the next 30 days to kick your body's sugar habits. Some other foods to eat to satisfy those cravings are bananas or an apple with some almond butter, berries, melons but don't have fruit every day if you can help it. Three to four times a week is adequate until you can get over the sugar thing. I'd also suggest doing without dairy since it has natural sugars (insulogenic effects) and using coconut milk instead. After a few weeks of avoidance, you'll get the hang of it and won't be controlled by your sugar cravings.

Other foods I used in the beginning of my switch to Paleo was squash (green, yellow, and butternut), and sweet potatoes. With sweet potatoes, you can use butter or ghee, walnuts and sprinkle some ground cinnamon on there to give it a really rich nutty flavor.
  • blbrandstatter
    blbrandstatter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    someone had this website on myfitnesspal.com and there are AMAZING recipes to satiate your cravings... www.paleomg.com ALSO, i have a serious sweet tooth and i typically make myself a cup of tea with cinnamon- the cinnamon is good for metabolism as well and having enough sweetness to get me over the hump! you're doing great, keep it up!