Chia Seeds?

Options
A coworker told me to check out chia seeds because of the omega 3 content and that they act like an appetite supresent. Does anyone know anything about this/have experience with them?

Replies

• TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I add a tbs or two to a low calorie drink and it does help with appetite control between meals. I have been using them for several years now. If you put them in water for about 30 minutes, they swell up and can be added to pudding and jello. Great snack to make you feel like you have eaten more than you really did.
  • keasarge
    keasarge Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i eat them with porridge! they are high in efa's protein and fibre
    they have a slight nutty taste
  • kelinore
    kelinore Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I toast the seeds lightly and add them to yogurt for a little treat. Toasting them brings out the nuttiness even more. Just be sure to watch them, they tend to scorch faster than others for some reason.
  • dmarhal
    dmarhal Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I bought some but haven't tried them yet. They are supposed to be like tapioca. Here are two recipes I got. I have not tried them yet. Let me know if you do and how you like them.

Raspberry Coconut Chia Pudding Pops
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 4 • Size: 1 popsicle • Old Points: 1 pts • Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 74 • Fat: 5 g • Carb: 6.8 g • Fiber: 4.6 g • Protein: 1.8 g • Sugar: 0.6 g
    Sodium: 27 mg

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
    • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    • 3/4 cup raspberries
    • 2 tbsp chia seeds
    • 1 tbsp sweetened shredded coconut
    • 8 drops Nu-Naturals liquid stevia (or sugar/honey to taste)

Directions:
    Combine all ingredients in a large container. Mix well and close container; refrigerate 4 hours so the chia expands.
    Pour into 4 popsicle molds and freeze overnight.
    Makes 4 popsicles.

Mango Coconut Chia Pudding
    www.skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 2 • Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 159.1 • Fat: 9.6 g • Protein: 3.6 g • Carb: 17.9 g • Fiber: 6.5 g • Sugar: 9.2 g
    Sodium: 52.2 mg

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup lite coconut milk
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    3/4 cup fresh ripe champagne mango, diced
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    1 tbsp sweetened shredded coconut
    4-6 drops Nu-Naturals liquid stevia (or sugar/honey to taste)
    Directions
    Combine all ingredients in a large container. Mix well and close container. Refrigerate overnight or at least 5-6 hours.
    Divide into 2 bowls or glass dishes and serve. Enjoy!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Woah thanks guys! I really appreciate it. And the recipies are great!
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I eat Chia seeds every day with Greek yogurt, berries and ground flax - yummy!
  • TooThickBarb
    TooThickBarb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just discovered chia seeds a month ago and they are an appitite supressant they absorbe 9 times there size in water so when you eat them they expand in your stomach and give you a feeling of being very full so you are eating less but are more satisified but start off slow they can make you quite gassy, I started with a teaspone a day and uped it to 2 tablespoons over a month, you treat them the same as flax seeds you have to grind them and refridgrate, they are calling them the super seed they also have 3times the omaga 3 and 6 of flax seeds, hope this helps.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I just discovered chia seeds a month ago and they are an appitite supressant they absorbe 9 times there size in water so when you eat them they expand in your stomach and give you a feeling of being very full so you are eating less but are more satisified but start off slow they can make you quite gassy, I started with a teaspone a day and uped it to 2 tablespoons over a month, you treat them the same as flax seeds you have to grind them and refridgrate, they are calling them the super seed they also have 3times the omaga 3 and 6 of flax seeds, hope this helps.

I never grind mine, it doesn't matter if they are the black seeds or the white, I eat them whole.

One good tip I learned, soak the chia in water until they become a gel, you can then substitute that for an egg in recipe's. so much lower calorie.
  • Maria_81
    Options
    I tried Chia seeds for a while but I couldn't get with the gelatin feel when water was added. Just didn't like the taste
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    just start putting chia seeds in my yogurt. Very satisfied with the full feeling it gives.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I don't grind mine, I like the flavor. I also don't soak them first. I just sprinkle them on whatever and eat away. I don't notice a suppression of appetite, but if others do, then that's cool.

They are easy to use on just about anything. I put them on hubbies eggs or with our mashed potatoes, rice, veggies, whatever.
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i tried them for about 2 weeks and never noticed a difference in my appetite. i kept them whole, so they added a little crunch to my oatmeal or grits, etc... i guess for their nutritional value they are great, but as an appetite suppressant - not so much :ohwell:
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm curious. I have read (I wish I could remember where) that you really should soak them before eating because they can cause gastric pains otherwise. For those of you who are eating them without soaking first, have you had any problems?
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the delicious recipes
  • ljc73
    ljc73 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I eat Chia seeds every day with Greek yogurt, berries and ground flax - yummy!

I do this too after my workout...but instead of the flax, i usually add sliced almonds. so good.