50 pounds in 121 days

Options
So I started on MFP on May 24th of this year.

As of this past Sunday, September 22nd, I am down exactly 50 pounds, on my 121st day.

My initial goal was to lose 30 lbs by October 15th, so I'm feeling pretty good about my progress. How did I do it? Well... first of all I have a fair amount to lose - I'm 5'10" and I'd love to be closer to 185, so if you start with a lot you can lose a lot. I started at 265 and my goal was set to lose 1 pound per week.

Over the past 4 months I ate right up until my limit on almost every day. I still had alcohol on occasion, I still eat chocolate like crazy, and I rarely go to the gym (I went twice during the 4 months) - but I am more aware of what I put in my body now.

I know the trade-off of having one more glass of wine vs a big plate of broccoli with a little butter and sriracha. I walk more, I walk as much as I can during lunch.. I walk walk walk. I take the stairs at work up and down 6 flights. I'm just being more active.

I have MFP to thank for that.

On to the next 10 pounds! :smile:

Replies

• savvy85
    savvy85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Congratulations and good on you!!!! It's never easy making a change :)
  • zigeuner62
    Options
    Congratulations , that is awesome. Keep on keeping on :)
  • bmvaughn206
    bmvaughn206 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks very much. I realized that my body needs positive reinforcement. All it comes down to. Good luck to y'all!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    great commitment, well done. Of course the closer you get to target the slower it goes so don't be disheartened if the rate of loss starts dropping!
  • ScarlettIsSpiffing
    Options
    woop woop well done you, I had a quick nosy at your profile pics you have not only lost weight but years too, congrats on your success ;)
  • Bubble65
    Options
    Fantastic! Gives me incentive to carry on. Only been using MFP 3 days and am hooked already. Good luck with your last few pounds :)
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Well done!! Thank you so much for sharing. You've done so well in such a relatively short time. I have no doubt that if you keep doing what you are doing your body will continue to thank you. You sound so realistic and everything is very commensense that you are doing. Funny how we manage to complicate everything, but when it comes right down to it, just changing a few fundamentals makes a MASSIVE difference.

Good luck for the rest of your journey, and congratulations on changing your life so completely. You will have years more ahead of you to appreciate the changes you have made this year.

Wil
  • bmvaughn206
    Options
    Wow, thank you all! What an inspiring bunch of people! I'm actually down 2 more pounds since Saturday, but that's probably mostly water weight - too many glasses of wine last night :-)

If there's one thing I can recommend when you're first starting out - give it time to work. The pounds FELL off me after probably 7 days.. so for Bubble65, give it time to work! And make sure you find ways to treat yourself too - eating well should never be thought of as a punishment!
  • mad00had00
    mad00had00 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all! What an inspiring bunch of people! I'm actually down 2 more pounds since Saturday, but that's probably mostly water weight - too many glasses of wine last night :-)

If there's one thing I can recommend when you're first starting out - give it time to work. The pounds FELL off me after probably 7 days.. so for Bubble65, give it time to work! And make sure you find ways to treat yourself too - eating well should never be thought of as a punishment!

Good job. What kind of chocolate do you eat and how do you set the limit of eating it and not going over the limit by too much.
  • bmvaughn206
    Options
    High end dark chocolate, it's much easier to have small portions of bitter chocolate - which coincidentally I love.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You are doing awesome, congrats to you and your success thus far and heres to much more!! TGIF my friend.
  • greatthatsgreat
    greatthatsgreat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is so inspiring to hear. You've come a long way!
  • Jose2828
    Options
    Great job! What is your average daily caloric intake -thanks for your reply in advance?
  • bbarr66
    bbarr66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That's AWESOME! I needed to hear that. I'm in the same boat but at around 285lbs. I exercise a lot but the weight doesn't come off. I really need to focus on what I put in my mouth. Thanks for sharing and the motivation!
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Great Job Keep it up I to needed to hear that I only have 30 lbs to go but I need it gone and when I see others doing it it makes me feel like I can to!!!
  • optionalsourcewins
    Options
    Way to go!!
  • ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Great, get job! Congratulations to you.

I have lost 65lbs since June 4th by doing exactly the same thing - walking, walking, walking with occasional bouts of swimming and cycling. I so agree that you have to give it time to work. If only for your mind to catch up with the changes in your body.Keep up the good work.
  • roswyn80
    roswyn80 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations. :) You're an inspiration! :D
  • bmvaughn206
    Options
    Great job! What is your average daily caloric intake -thanks for your reply in advance?

1920 currently - I try to get an extra ~200 from walking every other day. I'm still up at 213, so my body needs quite a bit of fuel still.. but when I started it was at 2200/day.
    That's AWESOME! I needed to hear that. I'm in the same boat but at around 285lbs. I exercise a lot but the weight doesn't come off. I really need to focus on what I put in my mouth. Thanks for sharing and the motivation!

I always looked at exercise as a punishment for being overweight. It took me 31 years to realize that exercise is a way to reward myself if I want to have that extra glass of wine or larger piece of steak.

It's just a mind shift... you never overfill your gas tank in your car, so why do it with your body?

Incidentally - I just added a photo from my days at 265 pounds.. WHOA I've lost a lot!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I've been dong the insanity workout for 5 weeks with almost no weight loss results. I started using this on Tuesday and have lost 3 lbs. It truely is more about what you eat than what you burn!! :) Thanks for posting your success!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!