Worldwide bacon shortage...

Options
Are you all aware that there is a worldwide bacon shortage??? They are projecting skyrocketing prices of bacon!! Empty shelves in the grocery store where the bacon should be!! Depressing news. It's a good thing I got in on this before that happens:

2012-09-26_19-40-10_830_zps84f4723b.jpg

Yes, that is, in fact, candied bacon-topped pie. Do you have any bacon love pics to share?? :love:

Replies

• VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Aaargh!! It cut off half my pic! You can't get the full bacony effect. Bummer
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    where can I get that pie
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    So - you should start a black market MFP bacon business... because I want that pie. And I wannit now.
  • dsmboy1991
    dsmboy1991 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Yes, that is, in fact, candied bacon-topped pie. Do you have any bacon love pics to share?? :love:

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...:laugh:
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    where can I get that pie
    I'm in Minnesota, and it's at Baker's Square. It's called Salty Hog pie!! MMMMMMM.........
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    no pics, but my freezer is stocked full of BACON!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    shortage must be true, WalMart just hiked my bacon $1.30 more a lb...****ers
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    hmmm our bakers square closed but theres one in milwaukee, wi ( my kids college town) may need to stop off
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Those sons of *****es...

We're Americans...Our hog lots are plentiful and stable.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    See, I don't get it. I was raised on a farm and know the ebbs and flows of meat markets. The farmers/ranchers held off on selling their stock - pigs, cattle, chicken, but mostly pigs and cattle - in anticipation of the government helping them out with this drought situation. Well, Congress went on vacation without passing anything substantial to help out the farmers/ranchers, so they should be unloading their animals right now. This would mean that the price of animals would be less because of the excess number of animals being sold. This translates into a lot of meat being available and, therefore, lower meat prices.

Sometime around February or March, the price of meat would then go up. This is because there will be less animals being sold, having been sold earlier because of lack of feed. This should continue until the following fall or winter. Why? If the farmers/ranchers kept their cows and bred them, they will drop their calves sometime in the late spring/early summer of next year. It takes approximately nine months for a calf to be ready for slaughter. One thing that may put a cinch in all this is that the farmers/ranchers may have had to sell off their cows. This means that they will need to buy cows and, if they are not already bred, they will have to breed them. Which places the possibility of beef prices remaining high until early into 2014.

Now, hog prices should go down sooner than cattle prices, unless the farmers/ranchers had to sell their sows, in which case they will have to purchase sows, bred or unbred. Hogs have a shorter gestation period than cows and acheive marketable size sooner, so I would expect to see pork prices to go down sooner.

As for chickens, the drought should not have affected them all that much as they don't eat quite as much as cattle and pigs. This may mean that poultry prices will not see such an extreme elevation as with pork and beef. This would be my same summation with eggs.

Of course, when you add in Cargill, Monsanto, and Archer-Daniels manipulating the market in order to turn a massive profit, anything goes these days. I just don't get this bacon being so high priced because hogs are raised in stock barns and sold and slaughtered in large numbers at a time, so this just baffles me.

I am not that fond of bacon. Too salty and greasy for me. So this will not affect me that much. I eat mostly chicken and fish with the occasional steak.
  • Melissat33
    Options
    I love bacon but I can't have it in the house if I'm the one cooking it other wise I'm the only one that gets some!! Lol
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I love bacon but I can't have it in the house if I'm the one cooking it other wise I'm the only one that gets some!! Lol
    Hehe. Make BigDaddy cook it and then steal it when he isn't looking.
  • MikesterAZ
    MikesterAZ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bacon is famous on the internet so there is likely a greater demand than usual.
  • OdeToEmma
    OdeToEmma Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Half a pic is all I can handle.

Too delicious...
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    It's true. I saw it on the news when I was working out today. It made me sad. :sad:
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Bacon is famous on the internet so there is likely a greater demand than usual.
    It has something to do with the cost of pig feed going up or something. I didn't catch the whole story.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Half a pic is all I can handle.

Too delicious...
    I love your profile pic. :laugh:
  • martymays
    martymays Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just looking at that picture made me gain 5 lbs But it does look fantastic.
  • carabela
    Options
    nooo...not a bacon shortage..how am I supposed to eat my salad ?!
    ahh..well...less points to calculate the calculations of what I eat everyday.:smile:
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Bump.