How can people stand being on low-carb diets?

Options

Replies

• Dianecg
    Dianecg Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm staying around 100g a day. That's not considered low by diet norms but, as you can see by many on the post, some people would consider it low. Men require more than woman - typically. And activity levels also dictate the amount of carbs one can consume while losing at a reasonable rate. There are bad carbs and good carbs so choose wisely. You might want to set a level, hit it for a couple of weeks, and see how you feel energy wise. Also look at your weight loss over those 2 weeks and then adjust as necessary.
  • nose6
    nose6 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So for those of you who do the low carb thing or get carbs only from fruits and vegetables: do you find that a high percentage of your diet comes from fat? I've noticed that if I eat, for example, salad with dressing, fruit, and nuts, I end up with a high percentage of fat. I know fats from things like nuts and olive oil are good for you. I'm more like the original poster: I thrive on carbs. I also find that a huge percent of fat in my diet is not great for my digestion, and protein just doesn't taste good to me anymore after a certain point.. I do notice that if I eat a lot of refined sugar and white flour, that does bad things to my energy level, and also I get hungry again sooner. So I'm working on that.
  • hannahamay
    hannahamay Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Carbs make you fat. Fat makes you full. Protein repairs your cells and helps you maintain your muscles - VERY important for men AND women as we age.

Eliminate bread (except occasional low carb), white potato, rice, cereal, sweets, pasta, crackers, etc. Eat a piece of fruit (apple, few strawberries, blueberries) every day before 3:00 or so. Exercise. This is not a diet but a new way of eating. Eat steak, chicken, eggs, fish, humus, veggies, cheese, nuts. Never go hungry!

It works!

I just recently became vegetarian so meat is completely out of the question. I get a pretty good amount of protein from oatmeal and bread which is why I usually have it for breakfast.
  • VeganForTheWin
    Options

I just recently became vegetarian so meat is completely out of the question. I get a pretty good amount of protein from oatmeal and bread which is why I usually have it for breakfast.

For what it's worth, I'm a vegan, and since starting a low-carb WOE, I consume around 50 - 70 total carbs/day. Some days (like today) that number is even lower.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    So for those of you who do the low carb thing or get carbs only from fruits and vegetables: do you find that a high percentage of your diet comes from fat? I've noticed that if I eat, for example, salad with dressing, fruit, and nuts, I end up with a high percentage of fat. I know fats from things like nuts and olive oil are good for you. I'm more like the original poster: I thrive on carbs. I also find that a huge percent of fat in my diet is not great for my digestion, and protein just doesn't taste good to me anymore after a certain point.. I do notice that if I eat a lot of refined sugar and white flour, that does bad things to my energy level, and also I get hungry again sooner. So I'm working on that.

It's always fascinating to me how different we all are. Too high of carb intake, particularly if it's from wheat-based products, even 100% whole wheat, gives me horrible heartburn. I never have my heartburn if I limit my carbs, especially those from wheat.

I don't eat low-carb because I like the food better. I, too, have a hard time getting in my protein and have to resort to protein drinks to get enough most days. My fat intake is higher but it's healthy fats, for the most part, and my blood profiles are textbook almost perfect so the additional fat doesn't appear to be causing me any harm.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I heart carbs.

The only thing that makes you fat is eating more calories than you burn.
  • Brian_VA
    Options
    I heart carbs.

The only thing that makes you fat is eating more calories than you burn.

A recent study of people who had already lost weight and ate a lot of carbs found they had to eat significantly fewer total calories to keep losing weight as compared to a group that had lost weight and were eating low carb.

You can lose weight eating carbs, it's just harder.

The idea that a calorie is a calorie and it doesn't matter what we eat is an old theory and although it appeals to our common sense, it is not true!

So I guess the question for all the carb lovers is this - if you knew eatIng a carb heavy diet meant you'd have to eat a lot less calories to lose weight than if you ate low carb, would you change. If not, I respect that you'd take a harder road in exchange for continuing to eat a certain class of foods. But if you would eat low carb if it allowed you to eat more calories and still lose weIght, you owe it to yourself to do a little research and give it a try.
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    Everyone is different and one thing that makes the difference is your seratonin levels. I was diagnosed as having low seratonin last year (and put on anti-depressants). I was astonished to learn that people with low seratonin should have a diet high in carbs. Which rings completely true for me because if I have little carbs I become very very tired and emotional. I am like that at the moment and I know I need to get more carbs.
  • dougt333
    Options
    I'm eating under 200 and I feel fine. I make sure they're good ones though (not sugary)
  • mthartwig
    Options
    I have been low carb for over 6 months as well. The initial 5 days was probably the hardest.... But I go high carb once a week... I also went gluten free and dropped artificial sweeteners and HFCS. I feel 20 years younger and no longer need caffeine like before. I lost 40+ lb and for the first time I feel no addiction to food... Namely bread and pasta and ice creams. By cutting out wheat,soy and most corn, I have saved a lot of wasted calories and have no problem staying in my caloric zone. The reason people can't get past the low carb intros b/c their body is addicted to insulin... If insulin is higher then fat storage continues. By dropping simple carbs,leptin will increase and fat burning begins
  • jtakingcareofherself
    Options
    Whenever I eat less than 200 carbs I feel so weak and I have literally no energy. I always try to have some complex carbs for every meal because without them I'm never satisfied. If I could I would live off toast, oatmeal, and bananas. :) I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on low-carb diets were because I know a lot of people swear that carbs are the enemy.

It's because your body hasn't adated to it. Low carb diets, are usually modeate protein low carb and high fat.

Carbs arne't the enemy. I rather do low carb, instead of not being on low carb. Low carb meal might be a nice fatty steal with some broccoli covered in cheese.

Do the non low carb version of that, probably some chicken breast, with a potato and a side of broccoli. Where is the flavor?

I don't do low carb right now, i used to, it doesn't improve fat loss.

PU is drunk in this response.

I'll translate.....

"I like carbs! When I dont eat lots of carbs I eat lots of fat and meat!"
    Roar!

From my understanding at some point the low/no carbers will want to have their blood tested for pH issues that occur in Keto type diets.
    Check ur breath and if its bad then you better come out of your low carb diet for a while.
    Unless you have food allergies you shouldnt avoid carbs or cut them excessively.

So it's safe to stay in a keto diet when you have food allergies, but not safe (due to pH issues?) when you don't? Hmmm... Not so logical there, Dan.

Did you know that ketogenic diets were used as treatment for children with epilepsy all through the early part of this century? The kids stayed on ketogenic diets for decades and the only impacts were fewer seizures and healthier lives. Then, pills were invented (that of course made lives easier on the parents - bread is pretty portable), so ketogenic diets went out the window as the treatment of choice. Point (in case you missed it), is that ketogenic diets are safe. And that's for people with and without allergies :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the ones thriving on a low carb, high fat whole foods diet. It's been about 15 weeks now and I honestly expect to live the rest of my life eating this way.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on low carb diets are that as long as you are eating healthy foods, eating within your calorie limits and you are happy eating low carb then it's a good thing. If you have a medical need to eat low carb then it's a good thing.

If you have no medical need and don't like eating low carb but are doing it because you think it will help you lose weight faster, then it's not a good thing.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not for me. I tried it awhie ago and ended up feeling so hungry and unsatisfied that Iconsumed way more calories that I would have if I had just eaten some carbs.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and one thing that makes the difference is your seratonin levels. I was diagnosed as having low seratonin last year (and put on anti-depressants). I was astonished to learn that people with low seratonin should have a diet high in carbs. Which rings completely true for me because if I have little carbs I become very very tired and emotional. I am like that at the moment and I know I need to get more carbs.

Carbs > anti-depressants :laugh:

I was on them for a while. I hate them. They are the worst drug out there, IMO. I am doing much better with diet, excercise and herbs. :bigsmile: :smokin:
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I average around 50-70 per day and i'm doing fine. Fat, usually makes up the majority of my calories with protein coming in second.

I've been working out consistently since Feb 2011 -- in the past, i typically only worked out six months out of the year because of energy issues, injuries or getting sick. That doesn't seem to be the case since going with a much "cleaner" low carb diet.

The only drawback is that I can't "top out" my workout intensity like I used to, but i'm will to pay that price for consistency and less injury. Even so, my workouts are still relatively strong.

Some of my MFP friends keep their carbs high and do quite well, so my opinion is that everyone is different for a variety of reasons.

Mentally/emotionally i'm a bit more sedate without the "highs and lows" I used to experience.
  • FireFae
    Options
    Edit: Scratch that ... too much stuff that sounded harsh.

Whether I'm low or high carb ... each day is different for me.
  • dorybaby
    dorybaby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight on a low carb diet, but gained it all back when I went off of it. All that hard work down the drain. The only way I was able to do it was when our whole household was doing it. There couldn't be a carb here or i wouldn't have made it.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

So I guess the question for all the carb lovers is this - if you knew eatIng a carb heavy diet meant you'd have to eat a lot less calories to lose weight than if you ate low carb, would you change. If not, I respect that you'd take a harder road in exchange for continuing to eat a certain class of foods. But if you would eat low carb if it allowed you to eat more calories and still lose weIght, you owe it to yourself to do a little research and give it a try.

I have chosen to not eat a low carb diet because it works for me.
  • shagybear33
    Options
    I agree with some of the p/p's...Everyone is different.

I usually stay lower carb, but recently we moved to another city and although I watched my portions, my carb intake was really high. I found myself craving sweets (which I have NEVER been a huge fan of sweets) and breads, pastas etc. After putting on 10lbs, I have decided to return to the lower carb diet. I'm on day 4 now, and I feel a LOT better.. But that's me and that's what works for me. :D