Are short cardio workouts effective?

Options
I have a form of heart murmur that is interfering with my cardio goals. I am trying to do 30-min workouts, but I have to stop halfway through because of dizziness and exhaustion. It's no fun, but my cardiologist told me that strengthening my heart with aerobic exercise would help relieve the symptoms I have when at rest.

I have been doing 2 15-min workouts, 3-4 times a week, for the past three weeks with no endurance improvement, and it is SO frustrating. Are shorter cardio workouts way less effective than the recommended 30+ minutes? I can't think of why else I am not improving.

Replies

• mormadu1
    Options
    I suffer from heart palpitations, something brought on with two pregnancies. I haven't been preggers for nearly 7 years and the palpitations have increased. I went to the cardiologist who diagnosed me with Mitral vavle prolapse...I had no idea my. I also suffer from asthma as well, so getting back into shape was something I was a bit leery about. I started off slow, two work outs a week for 30 minutes, just walking and then I'd stop off at a nearby playground and do lunges, squats and push ups. I slowly increased my work outs, I'm doing about 35-45 minute runs with weight training afterward. I can feel myself getting stronger, but my running endurance is slow to increase. I notice I get more tired with the C25K work out, the spurts of walking and running. Breathing is difficult now with the change in weather, but I keep plugging through. My palpitations haven't (knock on wood) had a recurrance- they used to happen once a month.
    My point is, do what you are comfortable with for a few more weeks. Whatever you do, keep moving forward. There is no reason to expect improvement so soon, these are goals you are putting on yourself. When you feel like you can add more, then do it! I'm sure you are doing a great job, be proud of what you have done so far. And remember when you are thinking "exercise or not?", you'll never regret working out. Keep up the good work!
  • blanchette_j
    blanchette_j Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement :) I also have Mitral Valve Prolapse.
  • randysbombshellgirl
    Options
    I have a few medical issues myself including asthma I was only able to work out 20 to 30 minutes at a time in the begining. Now I can do more but still have to modify and take short breaks during a work out. It sounds to me like you are on the right track. You have clearence from you doctor to work out don't worry about taking breaks or not going as long as you think you should. I think you should be commended for what your doing. I know people that have no medical issues that do nothing but complain about being heavy but do nothing but sit on their behind and wish for it to magically fall off. So gold star to you and keep it up:flowerforyou: