Ideas for control after dinner?

Options
2»

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Since you start going overboard because you want the sweet flavor, why not try to trick your taste buds? Since you're full, after dinner, chew some gum for the sweet flavor. Then you can use the rest of your calories closer to bedtime when you might actually be hungry, and you'll have less time to overeat.
  • sarah_ahmad
    Options
    I definitely feel your pain. I just treated myself to 300 calories of sugar AFTER dinner. Such a fail. Anyways I find brushing my teeth or jumping in the shower/starting my night time routine curbs my need to snack. Wish I would have done that today, but live and learn. Goodluck!
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Start counting your days calories at supper time. What every you" over eat "after supper has to come out of your morning and lunch on the next day.
    Who cares when you eat the calories just do not go over in the 24 hour day.
    Hey, I thought I was the only one who did that?! Cool. Yep, works great.
    I find if I have to "pay back" the snacks in the morning I have a little more self control over what I snack on.
  • kaylabrianna
    Options
    the time you eat actually can matter. as a recovering anorexic i used to (and sometime still do) have a huge breakfast, smaller lunch and an apple for dinner and I would lose more weight the next day then if I had a proper diner and dessert.

Clearly I'm not supporting pro-ana but time DOES matter.
  • sundrine
    Options
    I have the same problem. I went to a nutritionist a couple months ago and she suggested a few snacking options that double as comfort food+healthy food. My favorite is peanut butter+honey+almond+craisin granola. I make it myself and it's really filling and yummy. Sometimes I'll also eat a huge, water-filled fruit right before bed that will fill me up without sacrificing my calorie goal. Large apples, peaches, pears, etc are great for this.
  • sundrine
    Options
    I have been having the opposite problem.. not eating enough to satisfy my calories (+ breastfeeding calories + workout calories- though I don't eat back the workout calories) and then an interesting thing happened today- I found myself hungry and eating dinner around 5:30.. and I was already near my original calorie goal. And then I realized.. I hadn't had a protein shake. Usually I have at LEAST one protein shake (I use one scoop of whey protein (93 calories, 20 g protein) with a cup of unsweetened almond milk, 30 calories, blended w/ frozen strawberries of ice or some other fruit if I have it on hand for a grand total of around 150-180 calories).

THAT was the only change in my intake today versus other days.. so after dinner (around 7) I went ahead and had my protein shake (I was still under my calories for the day). So my suggestion- eat more protein during the day or incorporate a shake as a snack or after dinner dessert. Blending the vanilla whey powder with frozen fruit and almond milk tastes like strawberry frozen yogurt- or heck add in some yogurt and I'm sure it'd be even better! Eating more fiber throughout the day may help with satiety as well...

That's such a great idea! I never really considered protein shakes. I should try that because I have trouble getting enough protein since I'm a vegetarian.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I've Had to do what vfnmoody said because of sleep issues.
    Another Crunch lo cal filling opt. Is Popcorn.
    Put kernnels in a bag or pyrex, & nuke. Be careful of your toppings. If you crave sweet as you said, cinnamon & a little Stevia liquid might work. There are endless lo cal ideas lo sodi, lo fat Toppings. Get creative for your cravings.
    Another filling snack is to fill a few baby bellas with a lil balsamic, let sit a few with favorite herbs, Then pop them in the Toaster Oven. Quite the satisfy ! Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these ideas!! I like a lot of the snack ideas. it's made me realize that maybe something that takes longer to eat as well as taking my time with my snack will be more beneficial. I also like the idea of taking those calories away from the next day, so that it will be more an incentive to not eat over my calorie limit and it will stop hindering my weight loss efforts. I'm never really hungry after dinner unless I've eaten super early. I usually end up eating anywhere from 6:30-9:00 depending on when I get home, so I wish I could cut it out all together if I'm not hungry.