I know you can't spot reduce, but...

Options
I know you can't spot reduce. I know that the weight will come off wherever it pleases. It's just so discouraging some days!! I've been at this since the beginning of the year and have lost 35 lbs. I'm very proud of that and how far I've come and I'm half way through this journey, but dang it I wish my tummy would get smaller!!! This horrid belly fat will not go away for anything. I've lost quite a few inches in my waist, and it's definitely gotten smaller since I first began eating right and exercising, but I am still most self conscious about it.

I don't have a gym membership and am only using small weights at home, but I try to incorporate as much as I can with them into my workout, as well as cardio. I do dvds, walk, jog, get on the elliptical, use my Skimble app, and other floor exercises I remember from P.E years ago (the ones we all hated, but surprisingly do work). I don't have the cleanest diet, I eat the supposedly evil Lean Cuisine meals, soups, and the likes, however my diet has taken a complete 180 from where I started.

Like I said, I know my body will do what it wants in the end, but do you have any suggestions to maybe just make me feel a little encouraged??

:-)

Replies

• mrojas9072
    mrojas9072 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try "Smart One" meals those things fill you up better than lean cuisine! I normally look up things on Pinterest for weight loss. There are tons of different foods that attack fat too! You can do it! If it were easy, everyone would do it!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you're halfway to your goal :) that is a great achievement! But maybe the belly is one of the last places where your body likes to lose. For me it's my butt. Just keep at it and you will see more changes. Water retention can masquerade as fat in the belly though so see whether you have too much intake of the main culprits - for me it's salt and alcohol. Those really bloat me up for a few days. Good luck.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Very good on the weight loss. Its hard we all go thru it and youre right you can not pick the spot and the only way is to burn fat. Less cardio and more weights. Just keep at it, it will come off!

I need to see you're diary to be of any help, but I can tell you its better if you cook fresh food and veggies and stay away from all processed foods. Its just as easy to prepare youre own at home than buy it, and it tastes better.

People say they dont have time, but they do :) Usually on Friday I have to grab a salad out, but its becuase I am out of food.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Are you following an extra-low-fat plan? You need to eat a certain amount of fat in order to burn fat. I found that a lower-carb plan (not no-carb---anything below about 60 grams of carbohydrate is dangerous long-term) helps to burn the fat off my tummy better. I aim for around 75-100 grams of carbs per day and I usually stay close to my fat allotment. It's easy if you just cut out sugar and grain. I spend my carbohydrate grams mostly on veggies but I include at least two fruits a day. I'm usually about 400 calories below the number of calories I'm supposed to have and I have been losing in the range of a pound a week. My shape has changed a lot for the just 14 pounds I've lost. The good news is that my muscles are getting firmer while my fat stores are shrinking (all except for the stubborn pads of fat around my knees---I have my mother's thighs--*sigh*). People on here have told me that if I just keep doing what I've been doing and keep exercising, my fat stores (even on my thighs) will mostly disappear. I still have at least 50 pounds to go so this should be interesting.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    [.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Try "Smart One" meals those things fill you up better than lean cuisine! I normally look up things on Pinterest for weight loss. There are tons of different foods that attack fat too! You can do it! If it were easy, everyone would do it!

LOL...smart ones are junk. There is not one food that attacks fat.

good grief

a caloric deficit and time is what it takes to lose body fat

. your body will perform better with better food and that DOES NOT include smart ones or lean quisine ones on a regular basis.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I suggest to increase your weights and stay in a calorie deficit.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I know you can't spot reduce. I know that the weight will come off wherever it pleases. It's just so discouraging some days!! I've been at this since the beginning of the year and have lost 35 lbs. I'm very proud of that and how far I've come and I'm half way through this journey, but dang it I wish my tummy would get smaller!!! This horrid belly fat will not go away for anything. I've lost quite a few inches in my waist, and it's definitely gotten smaller since I first began eating right and exercising, but I am still most self conscious about it.

I don't have a gym membership and am only using small weights at home, but I try to incorporate as much as I can with them into my workout, as well as cardio. I do dvds, walk, jog, get on the elliptical, use my Skimble app, and other floor exercises I remember from P.E years ago (the ones we all hated, but surprisingly do work). I don't have the cleanest diet, I eat the supposedly evil Lean Cuisine meals, soups, and the likes, however my diet has taken a complete 180 from where I started.

Like I said, I know my body will do what it wants in the end, but do you have any suggestions to maybe just make me feel a little encouraged??

:-)

It sounds like you're on the right track. Although core exercises are good to do, calorie reduction and cardio are the most important for losing weight in your gut.

Try to be accepting. I'm close to my goal weight and I'm very pear-shaped. I'm dismayed when I read threads in which women give their measurements and I compare myself. I'd have to starve myself down to nothing to make a dramatic difference. That's undesirable and probably impossible. But I've been taking sewing classes for a while now and am learning to make patterns that fit and flatter me and they make a big, big difference.

You might want to take some time to study your shape and figure out how what provides the best line.
  • Punthank
    Options
    Are you drinking your water? How about fresh produce? It really fills me up and it's usually very low in calories if low in starch. Are you on any medications? They can also slow weight loss. Some people just lose slower........it can be discouraging but keep up the good work!!!!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    If you would open your diary there may be a clue there. I know that water retention can cause bloat in the belly area. The killer for water retention is almost always sodium.

You may not be able to remove the belly fat, but you can work on toning so once you get there you look awesome. Since you're doing DVD's I'm going to suggest an old, old, OLD one you can find free on Youtube: 8 Minute Abs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNqrkGnkUWc