Is pilates enough as a strength workout?

Options
Hello!
So, I've got a problem. I find lifting weights very boring. It's just repetition to no end and I act like a kid with ADHD sometimes, so it doesn't really work for me. Would you say pilates should be good enough to get tone / build muscle mass?

Replies

• menyeca71
    Options
    I suggest Body Pump.. its strength training with music.. lots of fun!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i actually have ADD.. i like strong lifts. 5 sets of 5 reps.. 4 exercises a workout. i agree lifting a tiny weight a zillion times would bore the crap out of me, i dont know how the people at my gym do it, especially since i know by the time they are done with their workout i'm already home and eating a post workout meal

and no pilates isn't enough to build muscle mass. to build muscle you need to a) eat over your maintenance calories AND b)progressively overload the muscle. so unless you plan on gaining weight, i dont see how you can continually overload your muscles with pilaes
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Well, that's disappointing. Thanks.
  • linette247
    linette247 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well, I've seen different types of pilates. Once i made a pilates routine at the gym that was really hard. But I moved out to another country and I can't find that routine here, neither in youtube ;(
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Well, I've seen different types of pilates. Once i made a pilates routine at the gym that was really hard. But I moved out to another country and I can't find that routine here, neither in youtube ;(
    That's too bad. Though I must say, I find what I'm doing to be hard right now too.
    I guess maybe I should be clearer about what I want, I'm not really trying to get all too much muscle, just have better tone and reduce body fat.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Do what you like. You don't want to lift weights, so focus on pilates and if you want to add weights later, do it! The best exercise plan is the one you'll stick with.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    If your goal is a "dancer's body," and you enjoy pilates then, IMO, go for it. Totally agree with bonniejo that the best workout plan is the one you enjoy and will stick with. For variety, you may want to check barre workouts too.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think it is, personally (although MFP always lists Pilates under cardio, for some reason?). Even when I only did it once a week, I noticed myself toning up pretty considerably! Do you take classes, or do it on your own?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I suggest Body Pump.. its strength training with music.. lots of fun!!

it's also cardio.

You can get strong-er with anything that has more resistance than you are conditioned for.

if you want to get really strong, you need a real strength training program.