B.M.I Dilemma

Options
Ok heres my issue:

I'm now getting pretty near to being as thin as i wanna get really (i'm naturally curvy and have no desire whatsoever to be "skinny"), but my BMI isn't quite in "healthy" yet!!! I want to start concentrating on toning up but if i do this i won't lose the last bit of weight i need to lose to get my BMI where it's supposed to be because i'll be putting on muscle so i assume my weight may even go up slightly, putting my BMI even further away from where it should be? anyone have a solution? (if you followed any of that lol)

Thanks!
Jx

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling good at your current weight, then don't worry too much about BMI, it's just a guideline and doesn't suit every body type (especially if you are building muscle).
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Don't stress too much about your BMI. As long as you're healthy and feel comfortable, the number doesnt matter :)
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling good at your current weight, then don't worry too much about BMI, it's just a guideline and doesn't suit every body type (especially if you are building muscle).

^^This is what my GP said on my last visit. She praised me on losing so much (in fact, the scales in my doctors office weighed me 5lbs LIGHTER than my scales at home???????????? But, i digress... She said its fine to have a BMI like mine (26-27) but i've become slightly obsessed lately with being "healthy" lol.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, people have different builds and different frames. If you feel and look good and your doctor said it's fine then just try and stay where you are and like you said, tone up if that is what you want.
  • spangey13
    Options
    BMI is bollocks (sometimes).

Half of the All Blacks would fall into the "obese" category. And just sayin' but they didn't win the world cup by being obese.
  • Joannie30
    Options

Half of the All Blacks would fall into the "obese" category. And just sayin' but they didn't win the world cup by being obese.

^^^^This is a good point! Thanks to all of you for pointing out what really should've been the obvious to me lol.

So next i guess i should ask where i go from here with regards to my exercise? Do i stick to my 30mins a day on my stationary bike or do i need to get some weights?
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    When you are adding muscle, BMI really doesn't factor that in. Your best bet is to get a body fat test done. They have hand help machines that send electrodes through your body and measure how much of your body is muscle. This is what I look at instead of BMI. In 3 months my bf% went down 5%! I think 8-10% is really fit, 10-15% fit, and so on...just look it up
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options

You should have mentioned that the All Blacks are a rugby team, some sensitive people might think you were making a racial statement
  • gilmanator
    gilmanator Posts: 3 Member
    Options

^^This is what my GP said on my last visit. She praised me on losing so much (in fact, the scales in my doctors office weighed me 5lbs LIGHTER than my scales at home???????????? But, i digress... She said its fine to have a BMI like mine (26-27) but i've become slightly obsessed lately with being "healthy" lol.

For woman a BMI of 24-26 reduces risk of cancer. Totally healthy! Espeically if you feel good!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Ok heres my issue:

I'm now getting pretty near to being as thin as i wanna get really (i'm naturally curvy and have no desire whatsoever to be "skinny"), but my BMI isn't quite in "healthy" yet!!! I want to start concentrating on toning up but if i do this i won't lose the last bit of weight i need to lose to get my BMI where it's supposed to be because i'll be putting on muscle so i assume my weight may even go up slightly, putting my BMI even further away from where it should be? anyone have a solution? (if you followed any of that lol)

Thanks!
    Jx

It's unlikely you'd put on so much muscle so quickly that it would skew your BMI. Focus on getting into a healthy BMI range while strength training.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

You should have mentioned that the All Blacks are a rugby team, some sensitive people might think you were making a racial statement

A someone who knows nothing about sports, that statement didn't seem racist, but it was very perplexing!! 1/2 of all blacks are obese??
  • Joannie30
    Options

A someone who knows nothing about sports, that statement didn't seem racist, but it was very perplexing!! 1/2 of all blacks are obese??

:laugh: I'm from the UK and not really sure who/what the All Blacks are, but i assumed it was a sports team and not a racial remark lol.
  • spangey13
    Options

Apologies to anyone who took that the wrong way! Our soccer team is called the All Whites, Cricket team is called the Black Caps, Hockey team is called the Black Sticks, Basketball team is called the Tall Blacks .... No one here thinks about that sort of thing as being a racial remark!!

Anyway, the point was that those people are professional athletes and BMI is not a "gospel" indicator of health.