for every pound of fat...

Options
If this isn't motivation, I don't know what is!

Fact: Every pound of fat gained causes your body to make 7 new miles of blood vessels.

Knowing this, it’s easy to see why obesity and heart disease often go together. Most of the new blood vessels are tiny capillaries, but also include small veins and arteries. This means if you are “only” 10 pounds overweight your heart has to pump blood through an extra 70 miles of blood vessels. The good news is that this also works in reverse. If you lose a pound of fat, your body will break down and reabsorb the no longer needed blood vessels. This is encouraging to dieters, as one pound does not seem like a lot to lose, but even that little bit of difference will result in a large benefit for your heart!

http://listverse.com/2012/09/01/10-more-amazing-facts-about-our-bodies/

Replies

• dontwantausername1
    Options
    Wow. That actually made me feel really great. My 17 pounds means a lot.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • coffeeQ2hrs
    coffeeQ2hrs Posts: 52 Member
    Options

it certainly does! that's 119 miles of blood vessel! good job!
  • dontwantausername1
    Options

it certainly does! that's 119 miles of blood vessel! good job!
    119 miles...that's just crazy! Thanks, you too!
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Great to learn a little bit more while making healthier choices. Our bodies are amazingly complex and mind-blowing, and every time I find out something new I am that much more determined to help it do its job as efficiently as possible.

This is an amazing fact - I will be passing it on, for sure!!
  • IrishDaveRed
    IrishDaveRed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How many miles of blood vessels does a regular body have at regular weight?

What volume of blood goes into those seven miles of blood vessels?

Thanks,
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Imagine how good I feel right now...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing that!! its a great way to look at things and 1lb never feels like that much when I get on scales but at least I know it DOES make a difference :)
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for sharing this! :)
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thank you for such a fab statistic. Wow 22lbs down, another 88lbs to go...imagine how easily my body will function without all the extra miles of pumping blood!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If this isn't motivation, I don't know what is!

Fact: Every pound of fat gained causes your body to make 7 new miles of blood vessels.

Knowing this, it’s easy to see why obesity and heart disease often go together. Most of the new blood vessels are tiny capillaries, but also include small veins and arteries. This means if you are “only” 10 pounds overweight your heart has to pump blood through an extra 70 miles of blood vessels. The good news is that this also works in reverse. If you lose a pound of fat, your body will break down and reabsorb the no longer needed blood vessels. This is encouraging to dieters, as one pound does not seem like a lot to lose, but even that little bit of difference will result in a large benefit for your heart!

http://listverse.com/2012/09/01/10-more-amazing-facts-about-our-bodies/
    Soory but that is not fact, muscle has 6.5 miles per pound and fat has 3.5 miles meaning it you have more muscle than fat you are at great risk...

Page 5 of Vander, Sherman, & Luciano's Human Physiology, the Mechanisms of Body Function 9th ed. Mcgraw-Hill
  • jtroxclair
    jtroxclair Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sensible Portions
    Its a meal plan with food that people actually want to eat. Its all about portion sizing, I failed all other diets throughout the years couldn't stick to it. Until I tried Sensible Portions with my schedule at work its the best and plus I've LOST 30 LBS already. The best decision I've ever made! The food taste great, portions are just right and seeing the pounds fall off is amazing!
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    jtroxclair wrote: »
    Sensible Portions
    Its a meal plan with food that people actually want to eat. Its all about portion sizing, I failed all other diets throughout the years couldn't stick to it. Until I tried Sensible Portions with my schedule at work its the best and plus I've LOST 30 LBS already. The best decision I've ever made! The food taste great, portions are just right and seeing the pounds fall off is amazing!

It doesn"t teach you how to DIY. Flagged for Spam.