Hypoglycemia and losing weight

I have a really big problem with my eating, and it's because of this that I am struggling to lose weight. I have reactive hypoglycemia, so I went to a dietician, who gave me a eating plan, everything was whole wheat, the whole wheat helps to stabilize it. Then because of the whole wheat I became very sick, the whole wheat wasn't good for my tummy. So the dietician put me back on white bread white pasta etc. So now I have to eat every 2 - 3 hours. And I don't like meat at all. I will only eat fish or sometimes chicken. So the problem is that I'm not always sure what to eat that will stabilize the hypoglycemia, and that will not upset my tummy, and will also help me to lose weight and have a healthy diet. Can anyone help me with this?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    You are looking for foods with a low glycemic index - ones that don't up your blood sugar a lot. That's why the dietitian put you on whole wheat. It is odd to me it upset your stomach.

Unprocessed foods go into the system slower so will help you. Look at the diets they have for diabetics. They are what you need. Veggies, beans, old fashioned oats, brown rice, whole grains, etc.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    I also was told peanut butter-nuts-so to add a little fat in order to keep me "steady"

when i go low and really feel it, i drink 4 oz of oj
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,429 Member
    You are looking for foods with a low glycemic index - ones that don't up your blood sugar a lot. That's why the dietitian put you on whole wheat. It is odd to me it upset your stomach.

Unprocessed foods go into the system slower so will help you. Look at the diets they have for diabetics. They are what you need. Veggies, beans, old fashioned oats, brown rice, whole grains, etc.

Agree with this answer too. I struggle with this too and if I can stay away from processed foods my blood sugar levels are much happier! Make sure you're getting in healthy fats too - Peanut Butter/Nut Butters, avacodo, olive oil etc.