Logging water in mixed drinks

Options
76tech
76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
I've been wondering. Mixed drinks. Do I log them as water, ounce for ounce, or do I deduct some for the alcohol and other things in it?

For example, rum and coke. Say it's eight ounces. Two of which are rum. Do I log eight ounces? Six? Ten???

I do know, I can only log it as water if the cola is diet. Sugary stuff doesn't count as water. And we're all trying to achieve our goals, anyway, right?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The alcohol increases the wetness of the water, so definitely add 2 oz. Therefore, if you have an 8 oz drink, count 10 oz of water.
  • 76tech
    Options
    The alcohol increases the wetness of the water, so definitely add 2 oz. Therefore, if you have an 8 oz drink, count 10 oz of water.

What if I use dry ginger ale?
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Don't be a pansy. Drink your liquor straight, Ben :tongue:
  • rml_16
    Options

What if I use dry ginger ale?

Ginger ale is a spice. You don't have to count calories for it, but it doesn't count as water.
  • 76tech
    Options

But it makes me silly. Sillier.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Ginger ale has sugar so you can't log it.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

And the problem there lies....? :flowerforyou:
  • 76tech
    Options

And the problem there lies....? :flowerforyou:

Good point.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    Did you add ice? Ice cold drinks are negative calorie so don't forget to add some back to your total.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I was sitting here drinking a glass of water while eating some gummy bears thinking about this water/no water problem...hmm

I guess the pure cool water I drank counts and I have to figure out the calories on the gummy bears.

The Ginger Ale also counts as water...I mean, what's the difference?
  • RiverManUK
    RiverManUK Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Did you add ice? Ice cold drinks are negative calorie so don't forget to add some back to your total.
    A negligible amount. You probably burn off more calories pouring the drink and crushing the ice than you do in your body heating up the iced water.
  • RiverManUK
    Options
    I'd love to hear the science behind this ;-)
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Something like gin is a "dry" liquor. I think you should use a formulatic deduction for that to decrease the overall wetness of the drink in total. 2oz of gin and three oz of water should net somewhere between 4.5 and 4.1oz of total wetness, therefore log 2.5 to 2.1 oz of water. Your welcome!
  • butterflyqueen1984
    Options
    Surely you just add a shot of rum and a glass of coke, doesn't matter if its more calories, better to see it as more than less. If that makes sense?
  • 76tech
    Options
    Something like gin is a "dry" liquor. I think you should use a formulatic deduction for that to decrease the overall wetness of the drink in total. 2oz of gin and three oz of water should net somewhere between 4.5 and 4.1oz of total wetness, therefore log 2.5 to 2.1 oz of water. Your welcome!

I do love London dry gin. Hm, I should start drinking more of it to make up for the dryness.
  • rml_16
    Options

I read it on the Internets.
  • RiverManUK
    Options

I believe you're confusing the effect alcohol has in breaking down of the surface tension of water (making water wetter), with somehow creating an increase in volume (dietary wetness).
    It would be cool if a shot of what you fancy did increase the hydrating effect of water.
  • rml_16
    Options

I believe you're confusing the effect alcohol has in breaking down of the surface tension of water (making water wetter), with somehow creating an increase in volume (dietary wetness).
    It would be cool if a shot of what you fancy did increase the hydrating effect of water.

You no, I do not half to take this! We are all hear for the same thing and if you can't show sipport, then don't respond to me!

I read it on the INTERNETS!!!
  • sionnain
    Options
    It's not water.
  • 76tech
    Options

i wish this applied to me. but, since i like dry alcohols, i have to log less volume than i actually consume. i'm sad.