Running

Options
2»

Replies

• ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I used to be a morning-only runner, but discovered that if I had a reasonable afternoon snack (piece of fruit, handfull of nuts, slice of cheese, etc), and was careful not to eat to heavily for lunch, I could run after work (discovered when I shifted to a 6AM start, tough on even my morning-person tendencies). Then I got a night-owl for a husband, and another night-owl for a training partner. Now I've discovered that I can run at night, after a light dinner (not super high fiber, not super high fat, not super large), as late as 8PM. My sleep does suffer, as I seem to just be built to stay jazzed after a run for hours and hours, but sometimes getting the run in is a bigger victory and worth it.

On stitches - super deep breathing can help, so can doing Upward Facing Dog (yoga stretch). I've found stitches seem to be more related to breath and tension than food (which can cause tension if you're uncomfortably full), but YMMV. No matter the cramp (side, calf, shoulder), if I can keep going on my run past the 30 minute mark, all the cramps and stitches go away for the remainder of the run. It's like my body takes 30 minutes to realize yes, indeed, we WILL be running and no, stopping is NOT an option, and everything magically relaxes into a comfy rhythm. But I may be more stubborn than smart.
  • Clumz27
    Clumz27 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When I run in the evening, I have a small snack about an hour before and then eat dinner 30 mins to an hour after the run. I've done a lot of research on that same question and I found that this was the most valuable for me personally.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run in the morning,nice and early. But when I do run at night it is after dinner with the family. My wife likes to run after dinner but I don't like to run after eating dinner. But I do sometimes just to run with her.