Nervous about running my first 5k.

Options
Is it normal to be nervous about running your first? I've started c25k but I would love to see where I am at now,but my nerves prevent me from signing up.

Replies

• KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just sign up and do it! Like anything brand new, it's a bit nerve-wracking. You don't know what to expect, you're afraid you'll come in last, etc. Once you do it, you'll feel like you're on top of the world.

I did my first one a little over a year ago, and I could barely jog the entire thing. To my excitement, I didn't even come in last! I was so proud of myself for finishing, and doing something that terrified me.

DO IT!! :-)
  • gxdragon
    gxdragon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you nervous about? Just do it!

Seriously, what have you got to lose?
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The nerves are the best part about your first races. You'll probably end up with a better time than you expected because of it. :)
  • emilyj8123
    emilyj8123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was nervous too! But they are A LOT of fun! Yes, there are the serious runners who can do it in 15 minutes, but everyone else is all running and walking together and depending on what kind of 5k it is, theres usually supporters on the sidelines, entertainment, water stands along the way, and you just feel motivated to keep running with everyone else (and you're sore the next day, but its worth it!).
    The best part is crossing the finish line with all these people cheering you on. There is nothing like your first experience! LOL!
    I've done 3 I think and another one in a couple of weeks. I can do it in about 38 minutes, I just need to run faster. But anyway, I did the Couch to 5k too, and amazingly stuck with it although I varied the routine towards the end to tailor it to what I could do. I downloaded the podcasts on c25k (can't recall the website, I think thats what it was) to tell you when to run/walk. Good luck, seriously its very doable!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You run faster on adrenaline!! lol!

Seriously though, just go and have fun. When I did my frist 5K (in May), I finished in a little under 38 minutes. I was solidly in the middle of the pack. I just tried to relax and enjoy it - and that made the experience so great!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Being nervous is normal - I was so nervous even my second 5K! But you'll get hooked, fast :) JUST DO IT! :)
  • MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was nervous with my first one too. Then I was panicked when I realized my Turkey Trot was 5 miles and not a 5K. Yikes! I laughed when I crossed the finish line. Nothing to it. I've done several since then.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Whoops...accidentally hit post reply too soon, so I finished typing at hit it again and got a double post! Sorry!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Where are you in C25K? Just know that there is no shame in taking some walk breaks in a race! My first race had way more hills than I thought and that was rough...I had to walk a lot of them, but I still finished in the middle of my age group!

Go for it!!!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It is very normal. You should do it, though!! So fun! Don't worry if you have to walk... just have fun! You will do great!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Of course it's normal! But think about it logically... What's the worst that can happen? You walk for part of the race? Big deal, every 5k I've been to has had some walkers. No one is going to judge you. Just do your best, and remember that the vast majority of people in this race are only in a competition with themselves :)
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Like Nike says "Just Do It" Doll!

When you sign up:
    1) Have fun.
    2) Don't wear the tee they give you screams NOOB!
    3) If timed your chip goes on the right foot
    4) When you cross the finish line High 5's all around. YOU DID IT!!
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm doing c25k now too - on week 3 - if your don't have the smart phone app you should get it - it's free and there are three styles of "trainer" to help you! I like the Drill Sargent and you can post your results :-)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Being nervous about a race is completely normal. I was nervous about my first 5K in 2009 and I was nervous about the 5K I ran last weekend even though I've run 10Ks and half-marathons in between (I was shooting for a PB).
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    We are all cheering you on!! Even at my highest I use to walk 5K for March of Dimes, but when I did my first Mud Run this summer I was sick to my stomach, it helped me to know that no matter what the time was I was crossing that finish line...

You've got this!! Don't worry about anything but yourself.
  • jcnuebel
    Options
    You can do it! Pick a 5K that is a walk/run. I did my first 5K in August. They had the runners start and then the walkers started a few minutes later. I started with the walkers and finished in 40 minutes. I walked and ran alternately and it was a lot of fun!!
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I started the couch to 5K in May and ran my first 5K in August. I was beyond nervous! I did learn a few things though. Start off at your own pace. I started off way too fast and felt like I was dying. I also learned that I run better on an empty stomach. Such a rush! I am certainly not the fastest runner, but finishing is what counts! I run my second one next weekend and am excited this time.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal! There are so many unknowns. You only run your first race once, and you're guaranteed a personal best!

Here are my tips for first-time racers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-before-my-first-race-266231
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Nerves are normal. And that adrenalin is what makes little old ladies able to lift cars, so just think of what it'll do for your running!!!
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I also did the C25K, finished the program, signed up for my first 5K a couple days later. I will admit I was very disapointed with myself after the race because I had to walk part of it - but then I remembered just a few months earlier I could of never imagined I would EVER even sign up for a 5K so then my mission to run another began! My first I ran it in 39 min and then my second one I did it in 33 min so I shaved 6 minutes off my time and I ran the whold time!! I love the C25K and recommend it to anyone interested in running however the program tracks your time not distance so even though I finished the program I was still not running a 5K so just dont be disapointed if you can't run the whole thing just be proud your trying!!