Less calories and no exercise?

Options
Hi!
I read somewhere that in order to lose 1 pound a week, you would have to cut out 500 calories from your ideal daily calorie intake (based on height and weight) The article recommends that you cut out 250 calories, and burn the other 250.
I was just wondering if you cut out the entire 500, and did not do much exercising, would you still have the same results?
I am definitely not thinking of doing that, because exercise is always better, but I was just wondering what would the results be?

Thanks in advance!
:)

Replies

• kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    To lose a 1lb a week you need to burn 3500 more calories than you consume, if you go to tools there is a calculater tool to tell you how many calories you burn naturally, so just do the math of what you burn a day, minus 500 calories, and that gives you a daily calorie intake, and yes then you should lose 1lb a week without exercise
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    what katey said. however, it's possible that you could not lose anything depending on what you're eating even if you cut out those calories.
  • ccdo
    ccdo Posts: 217
    Options
    daad13 is right to some degree i did that routine for a week and i lost 8lbs without excercise and the downfall tho ur metabolism comes to a halt to ill take the advise of other people by usin the calculator to find out that way what i truly take in

:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    yes! what I am doign now is cutting the food down again. then when I hit the dreaded plateau I will add heavy cardio.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My first 15 or so pounds came off this way. I ate EVERY calorie MFP gave (exercise or regular).:bigsmile:
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    I did my BMR and it said I burn 1462 a day so if I subtracted 500 from that I would be at 962 calories a day.. clearly that isn't enough calories so....... ?? Confused now
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I did my BMR and it said I burn 1462 a day so if I subtracted 500 from that I would be at 962 calories a day.. clearly that isn't enough calories so....... ?? Confused now

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is what you would burn if you laid perfectly still all day. Your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is an estimate of how many calories you actually burn with normal daily activities, and is higher than your BMR.
  • HeatherBurke
    Options

BMR is what you would burn if you laid perfectly still all day. Your TDEE is an estimate of how many calories you actually burn with normal daily activities, and is higher than your BMR.

Where do I find my TDEE?
  • daad13
    daad13 Posts: 68
    Options
    Mine turned out to be 964, and I know I'll be starving if it was only that!
    I'm trying to do what the person above me said about the calorie burned with normal day activities..
    will get back to ya when i find it
  • daad13
    daad13 Posts: 68
    Options

BMR is what you would burn if you laid perfectly still all day. Your TDEE is an estimate of how many calories you actually burn with normal daily activities, and is higher than your BMR.

Where do I find my TDEE?

I calculated mine over here..http://www.fitnessfrog.com/tdee-calculator.html