Would like to start cooking/baking... advice?

Options
hypocrisy8
hypocrisy8 Posts: 26 Member
Hi all,
I do not cook or bake, but looking at all of these recipes really makes me want to start!
Does anyone have any suggestions for basic ingredients, tools, advice, rules, or tricks I should know/have in order to start cooking or baking? Thank you so much in advance!

Replies

• kpops
    Options
    When baking sweet things like cupcakes and muffins. Replace the oil with applesauce. It's better for you and actually makes the cake a little moister.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    If you can follow directions, you can follow a recipe. However, I would suggest getting one of the comprehensive books from America's test Kitchen. Their recipes make no attempt to be light, but they do explain techniques in detail and the science behind them. It can really help to know WHY you have to have an incredibly clean, grease-free bowl for fluffing egg whites.
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Look up recipes on eatingwell.com, cookinglight.com, and skinnytaste.com. I've used recipes from all of these sites.

Start with what you like and find healthier recipes on these sites (search for Tikka Masala for instance - http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/quick_chicken_tikka_masala.html; http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/06/skinny-chicken-tikka-masala.html) I personally love the Eating Well version. :)

Experiement with the recipies - I usually make it as directed (more or less) the first time and then tweak it to my family's preferences from there.

Get a crockpot!!!! If you're busy these are a lifesaver. Easy to create yummy healthy meals - and all three sites I mentioned above have crockpot sections. :)

Let me know if you have other specific questions - this should get you started - I LOVE to cook!!
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Basic baking ingredients to have in the pantry: flour (try to find whole wheat pastry flour - same consistency as white, but WW!), sugar (can't avoid it for a lot of baking; there are subs, but baking is chemistry and sugar is a main component. I use organic unrefined (it's a little tan)), baking powder, baking soda, oil (sub with applesauce).

Basic kitchen tools: measuring cups (dry), measuring cup (liquid - think pyrex), measuring spoons, mixing bowls, rubber spatulas, wooden spoons.

I'm more of a baker than a cook/chef, but it is a ton of fun and really cool to start experimenting with different things you like - especially trying to make them healthier. Have fun!
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Get yourself a good, basic cookbook. I like Delia Smith's How To Cook trilogy because they start right at the start and work your way up. So she literally starts with how to boil an egg or make pastry or cook a jacket potato. I have her set of books and even though I think I'm a pretty good cook, I never stop using them.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've tried the veggie-cooking methods here: http://www.whfoods.com/recipestoc.php with great success. Enjoy preparing your healthy food the way you like it and the way it is best for you! It's a great feeling!
  • Zainia
    Zainia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Love cooking and baking. Butter can be replaced with canola oil which can also be replaced with plain nonfat yogurt which can be replaced by applesauce and/or bananas. I also tend to bake vegan (no eggs, milk, butter) Also add a lot of spices to your dishes because they add a lot of flavor for no calories. Just message me if you need recipes!