I think I may have plateau'd...help!

Options
I have been losing very steadily for about 8 or 9 weeks (17.75 lbs) and the last 2 weeks the scale hasn't budged. Granted I started doing some weight training. Before that I was just doing cardio (jogging). Now I'm jogging 3 days/week, strength training 3 day/week and dancing (clogging) the other day. I could really use some help and encouragement getting past this. I'm not going to give up. I have no intension of doing that. I've come too far. However, I could use a few tips and suggestions.

My calorie allowance is 1530 and I use that and some of my fitness cals but not all. Probably around 20% I'm guessing.

Thanks!

Replies

• bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I see, you stopped losing once you started gaining more muscle from weight training. That's pretty normal. Don't be ruled by the scale. You should take your measurements and watch those more closely. I have lost .6 pounds in the last two weeks and probable about 6 inches. So obviously I am losing very very slowly BUT I am transforming my body. You will start to lose weight again it just takes about 3 weeks for your body to adjust, and its fine to eat back your workout calories. I almost always eat at least a few back and it hasn't really hindered me.
  • aaronrlindemann
    aaronrlindemann Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If someone gains 0.5lbs in a week from strength training, that's a lot, so don't be fooled into 'it's all muscle gain' it realistically takes about 2 months for most people to even begin noticing the results of strength training... just keep your diet good, keep up the work outs and your body will give it up soon. Don't forget to drink plenty of water to flush out all the toxins from converting fat! Your body will thank you!
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have been sitting at 160-161 for about 2 weeks. Yes it is frustrating but I am trying not to demotivate myself by thinking about it negatively too much!

Just keeping my exercise up the best I can, just started toning exercises as well.

Due my monthly progress photos soon and measurements.
    If there is no change after the month with them, then, yeah I will be gutted! Might even want to give up.

But I have a friend that will kick me up the *kitten* whenever I start feeling like that :) x
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're taking your measurements, especially if you've started weight training. And try a little variety in your diet from your daily routine. For example, I switched to tea in the afternoons instead of coffee, or changed what I bring for one of my snacks while at work. Little things like that, one at a time, are easy to adapt to and might make some difference.
  • dmarhal
    dmarhal Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough to lose weight, especially if you've added exercise.
    Also remember that muscle is denser and heavier than fat, so what weighs the
    same takes up less space if it's muscle. How do your jeans fit? That's more accurate
    than the scale sometimes. If you are losing inches you're okay. When you build muscle
    you can gain weight. But remember, it's muscle that burns fat so evenutually it will work
    in your favor. Don't obsess over the scale. Drink lots and keep up the good work. And
    shake up your cardio. Your body acclimates to the same old routine and it becomes
    less effective. Try something else for 8 weeks or so and then go back to your routine.
    It will be new once again.