I'm a size 1? When did this happen?!?!

Options
bcf7683
bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
I had a mini-revelation when I went shopping for dress pants the other day... I worked at Gap for two years while I was in college, and I always used to roll my eyes when a twig of a girl used to ask me if we had so-and-so pants or jeans in a size 1 because the size 2 is just too big. Whenever I bought pants there, I was lucky if I could squeeze into a size 10. So when I was asked if we had a size 1 in something, I always used to think sarcastically "Oh man, a size 2 is too big for your skinny little butt? What a problem......"

I went to Gap on Tuesday night looking for dress pants... I grabbed everything I liked in a size 4 hoping they would fit. Went into the dressing room- the size 4 was huge. "What...?" I thought. Went out and grabbed a 2- felt pretty weird, for two years I was always grabbing size 10/12's. So I went and tried the 2's on... They were too big too. I went back out to the racks and looked for size 1's. Found one pair in that size, had to ask my old manager for 1's in the remaining styles- and she said the same exact thing I used to think when people asked me that- "Oh so a size 2 is too big? What a tough life..." she said sarcastically as she walked back into the stock room (she knows I've been working out like crazy and she already congratulated me on my weight loss, she was obviously kidding).

But it felt so weird being in the store I used to work at asking for a size 1 after always hoping that there'd be a size 12 when I saw something new come off the truck on shipment day. I always used to look at the girls who wore the size 1's and thought "That'll never happen...." So I think that's when I felt the most successful in my whole lifestyle change :happy:

So I was just wondering if anyone else out there has had some type of "aha!" moment outside of the scale going down. I think the "aha!" moments are so much better than seeing the number go down each week....

Replies

• ToniGIrlWhimsicalArt
    Options
    I hate you. ;) I'm just kidding, of course. That's awesome! No matter what size you wear originally, nothing feels better than discovering your body has shrunk and can now fit in a smaller size. Good for you! :)
  • bcf7683
    Options
    The weirdest thing is I still feel like I'm not the girl who can fit into a size 1/2. I still see tiny, tiny girls and think "holy crap she's skinny."

It's such a weird little mind game.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to work out what that is in UK sizes lol. Well done anyhoo.
  • vaneguz87
    vaneguz87 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    you have made my morning. congratulations on you hard work, it has really paid off! :flowerforyou:
  • bcf7683
    Options
    Haha, I'm not really sure about the UK sizes either. But thanks guys!
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    RE: the UK sizes, I believe it's a UK size 3 or so.
  • jinniepig
    Options
    This will sound really mean, but I always think of myself as FAT. Not fat, but FAT. Until I saw a picture of a girl I went to school with who was a complete cow to me and now she is massive. Someone pass me some cakes.

I'm not normally this mean, but it was one of those moments!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to work out what that is in UK sizes lol. Well done anyhoo.

A US size 2 is a UK size 4, so yes, UK size 3.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I used to be that girl size 1/2.. I never saw it either. Now I'm the size 7/8 girl wishing I could be a size 3. It's odd how our mind perceives ourselves.. we're overly critical! Congrats on your weight loss and enjoy buying that smaller pant size!
  • LittleMissDover
    Options
    We don't have 3's we go up in 2's and I believe the smallest is a 4 (Your 0, which is why I was confused!).

We go 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc, I could do with the in between sizes though as 14's getting loose and 12's too small!

Either way, you're teeny, how tall are you?
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options

I don't think a size 3 even exists in the UK! I've never seen anything smaller than a 6 in most shops!
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    how tall are you? because sometimes if you are taller it seems those sizes can be a little easier to fit in i've noticed... somethign about the way a taller body stretches out... i am only 5''4" and a 4 seems to be about the smallest i can go.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I also have this experience lately when shopping. Now, I'm no size 1 (congrats by the way - that ain't ever happenin' for me!), but when I started this journey and most of my adult life I always grabbed a 14. Some stores even a 14 wouldn't fit.

I order a bunch of jeans off Old Navy.com because I have freakishly long legs and need the 36" inseams. First I ordered 6's, since that seemed to be where I was in most of what i had that fit). I got them and they pretty much fell off. I'm like - WHAT? So I ordered a 4 Tall and every pair fit perfectly. I had to eliminate things that actually worked instead of just keeping the one that kinda worked.

I still, to this day, go into stores and look for 12-14's. The I realize, no, I need to look for 4's and 6's. And that I'm not that fat girl any more and more than likely women look at me oddly when I ask for smaller sizes (like the look I got when I walked into Eddie Bauer and asked for a 4 Long in their jeans and was given the "our talls only start in a size 6" answer).

I think everyone that looses a good amount of weight does this. We look a skinny women still and think - good lord, they are so skinny - but really, most people are looking at us saying the same thing - even if we can't see it ourselves.
  • LittleMissDover
    Options

I don't think a size 3 even exists in the UK! I've never seen anything smaller than a 6 in most shops!

Ditto, 4's are usually online stuff or people have to buy from kid's ranges!
  • bcf7683
    Options
    I'm 5'5". This is the smallest I've ever been. Well, discounting the fact that I was once a toddler....
  • clang1
    clang1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congrats girl!! I love these moments - and funny enough mine was in a Gap store as well! I was the same - had always squeezed into a 10 and all the sudden I was trying on 4's! Crazy but a wonderful feeling all at the same time. :o)
  • bcf7683
    Options
    I also have this experience lately when shopping. Now, I'm no size 1 (congrats by the way - that ain't ever happenin' for me!), but when I started this journey and most of my adult life I always grabbed a 14. Some stores even a 14 wouldn't fit.

I order a bunch of jeans off Old Navy.com because I have freakishly long legs and need the 36" inseams. First I ordered 6's, since that seemed to be where I was in most of what i had that fit). I got them and they pretty much fell off. I'm like - WHAT? So I ordered a 4 Tall and every pair fit perfectly. I had to eliminate things that actually worked instead of just keeping the one that kinda worked.

I still, to this day, go into stores and look for 12-14's. The I realize, no, I need to look for 4's and 6's. And that I'm not that fat girl any more and more than likely women look at me oddly when I ask for smaller sizes (like the look I got when I walked into Eddie Bauer and asked for a 4 Long in their jeans and was given the "our talls only start in a size 6" answer).

I think everyone that looses a good amount of weight does this. We look a skinny women still and think - good lord, they are so skinny - but really, most people are looking at us saying the same thing - even if we can't see it ourselves.

^^^Totally agree!
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think I'd be happy to be a size...I don't know, 8 or 10 or something, but I'm of a bigger build. I'm fairly tall and have a lot of hips :P each body type will have a different happy healthy goal size :D
  • Cortln
    Options
    That's awesome!!! I'm size 11 in Juniors now, the smallest size I remember ever being is a 7. (I have wide hips so I'd be happy if I could get back to a 7). How did you get down to a 1? What diet/exercising did you do??
  • eecruzmd
    eecruzmd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey! Maybe you can order the pants from the UK lol (kidding)

Anyway congratulations on your sucess and now stop looking at those little girls and playing mind games... you are already there :wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!