Where to weight lift in NYC?

Options
Any fellow NYC area folks out there have a good gym where they do their lifting? My fiance and I have been at our gym for about a year, and while it's pretty nice, it is lacking in good lifting equipment. Lots of machines, but no barbells whatsoever and kind of limited dumbbells! Which means no squats and no deadlifts, and sumo deadlifts that are fairly useless. We contacted another gym and they informed us that they "do not allow deadlifts" because apparently liability outranks a full workout. So, any tips for us? our current gym is super inexpensive (like $20/month) by NYC standards, but I could go as high as maybe $45-50/month.

Thanks!

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hey neigbor. i like NYSC, but it can be a little more expensive. however they have classes and plenty of weight lifting equipment. also, check out harbor fitness. there is one in park slope, and it's 24 hours.
  • the_scream_queen
    Options
    I live in NYC and go to NYSC. It's not as good as Equinox or anything like that, but it is what it is. Standard price is $80 a month, but I get a discount through work that makes it $50. They have plenty of barbells, dumbbells, weight equipment. etc.

I know there's Synergy and Boom Fitness which are cheaper (I think) but don't know anything about them.
  • sharonnyc
    Options
    Hey, I go to New York Sports Club also but maybe check out Blink. They're owned by Equinox but not nearly as expensive. I saw they had a really good special recently.

Good luck!
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Sadly, Blink is the current gym that does not have the equipment necessary for serious lifting. Unless their other locations are better; I go to the NoHo one, and while they have 2 Smith machines, there isn't a single barbell in the entire joint!
  • sharonnyc
    Options
    Oh no! Yikes, sorry I recommended them! I was looking at their website the other day b/c of the special they were offering. Have you checked out 24 Hour Fitness? I can't vouch for them personally but I think they're a little less expensive than NYSC.