Too much food?

Options
I hope this isn't a dumb question.....According to the site calculator, my calorie goal for the day should be 1790 (I'm 6'4" and semi active). Does this seem right? I feel like I am eating like crazy to use up all of my calories. I had 400 left over at the end of the night and my wife was giving me a hard time for not using them all up. I am supposed to eat all of the reccomended calories right?

Maybe it just seems like a lot of food to me because all of it has been very healthy and I've not been eating healthy for a while (lots of fast food ad alcahol).. I really have enjoyed the healthy eating and I do not eat dessert so should I just pack some extra in there during the course of the day or can I lower my calorie intake?

Thanks,
MP...

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this, so I'm not completely sure. My goal is 1280, and there have been days I haven't met the goal and it's been fine. However, one day when I ate less than 1200 it told me I needed to eat at least 1200 when I pushed the submit diary button. So I ate a little more and resubmitted it, and it was fine. I'd play with it as you submit diaries to see at what number of calories it tells you to eat more, and just be sure to stay above that number. I'd think as long as you don't get that message, you're eating enough.
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    I may not have the answer you are looking for, but I always have left over calories at the end of the day. I do think however the selection of foods is why you feel like your eating a lot. Personally I don't stress over the extra calories that are left over.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    You can try lowering you calories. What did you choice as an option when doing that. Did you say that you wanted to lose X amount and that MFP figure it out for you? Also are you exercising because if you are you get those calories too so if you change you calories you will for sure have enough calories to use through out the day if you use your calories back. You can always leave it and see how you do at your next weigh in.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Sounds like u are on the right track my hubby has just gave up fast food and alcohol he is eating healthy now too the calories just don't add up as quickly :) you're doing fine I'm sure but a glass off milk or a couple nuts will add a few extra cals to get u closer to your goal cals you should really try not to go too far under what mfp suggests :)
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    I would say it is correct. It goes by your size. As far as I can tell, the more weight you lose, the less calories you need.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I believe you should be eating all of those calories. It is probably due to the fact that you arn't used to eating healthy foods. Maybe try some things high in calories but still good for you. Protien shakes, hummus with crackers. I hope some veterans can answer for you, they know better than I do!