How much is too much?

Options
Last week I worked out every day except for New Year's Day, Saturday and Sunday. But, I know my weight has fluctuated due to Christmas and holiday goodies. So, this week I was determined to go to the gym every day and burn 1000 calories each day. Well ... I burned 1000 one day. Then 1200 another day. Then today ... 1600. Each day I've only eaten some of my exercise calories. Tonight I'll have over 1000 left!! But I always eat over 1200 calories before I add exercise calories.

Tomorrow I am determined to *only* do strength training ... but I'm already feeling a little guilty for not getting my cardio in. So, I'm a little afraid that when I go back to my regular burn next week (600-800), I am going to suffer mentally (guilt) and physically (not losing any weight). I know this is completely in my head but I'm having some trouble dealing with it and just needed to vent a little. I hope this makes sense... lol. I don't know ... I am really happy to see that 1600 on my HRM tonight ... but really, how much is too much to burn in one day? And is it okay to keep up that type of burn on a regular basis if possible? I feel like I've been on a good track ... I don't want to mess it up.

Replies

• tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    if you feel good, i say keep on trucking! just careful of letting yourself fall into an all-or-nothing mentality. it can be a slippery slope!
  • GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    Options
    well, if you think about it athletes burn that many calories all the time. However, their bodies are accustomed to that. So be careful....if your body isn't used to working out that hard, then I wouldn't do that EVERY day. I have a personal trainer and when I'm with him I burn between 800-900 calories (over 1000 the first couple sessions) And I asked him why I couldn't see him 5 days a week instead of three. He told me that you want to have a high intesity workout like that three times a week, but if you do that every day then you are doing more harm than good. Think about it. When you are working out your body is breaking down fats, glucose and proteins for energy (mainly glucose during high cardio). But if you work out like that every day your body doesn't have the time to recover and replinish its stores. That's also why you should be eating more than 1200 calories. If you need 2000 calories to maintain, and this site cuts you down to 1200 to lose 2 pounds per week...then you burn 1000 calories. That's not leaving your body too much left to rebuild.

I think it's awesome that you have the inner strength to do that type of workout on your own!! You should be beaming proud of that, but in my opinion you should cut back a little...without feeling guilty. I would totally do that intesity every other day (with maybe a slight calorie increase on those days) and then do something a little more light impact inbetween, something that only burns 500 some calories. So if you are doing just cardio to burn that much, maybe do some weight/circuit training, etc. And by giving your body time to recover it'll still lose weight. when you overload it is when it kicks into survival mode and holds on to everything it can. But that's just my two cents. :flowerforyou:
  • thicansxy
    Options
    I agree with GrnEyz80 maybe only do it every other day and on the days in between do something a little easier. Work on another part of your body. I dont have a HRM so I am not sure what exercises burn less calories. Just my thought
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the advice!! :flowerforyou: That definitely helps. I honestly wasn't thinking about recovery at all. But that makes complete sense! I've been doing mostly cardio to burn those calories... with a little bit of strength thrown in. I think next week I will try to hit cardio hard on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, then do strength on Tuesday and Thursday with a little bit of cardio thrown in at the end.

A plan ... that's what I needed. :laugh: Everything in my life revolves around a plan, lol

Thanks again!!! :drinker:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    wow - that's a heck-of-a-burn!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Leigh - I didn't see this post yesterday....

listen to your body...if you start being "irregular" - you may need to cut the burn or add calories....when I didn't eat my exercise calories, I felt like crap but that's me eveyrone is different......I am so proud of you for working so hard!