What Are You Cutting Back?

Options
i've been told recently to cut back sugar to lose weight and don't worry about calories. Limiting my sugar to 26 grams a day. This is hard, but can be done. Some days good some days not. I've been doing this for a few weeks. Noticed a little difference, not sure if this is still the right route.

What are you cutting back on? Calories, Sugar, Carbs...etc?

Replies

• almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories works for me. I don't have any medical reason to worry about carbs or sugar, so I don't.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    i've been told recently to cut back sugar to lose weight and don't worry about calories.

Who told you this and did they tell you why?
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am watching my Calories, Carbs, Saturated fat, Sodium and Sugars. When I notice that I am doing much better on maintaining the levels of one I switch it out to something else to watch, like my Saturated Fats.

To me it's all about a healthy balance of everything, you can't just watch one and not the others if you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle, I could eat 1200 calories a day and still be eating crap food high in fats, sodium and sugars.

I also look at my protein and Iron, though I try to hit and surpass the minimum amount MFP tells me to eat. I am notoriously low on Iron at times, so I usually take a supplement at lunchtime if I anticipate being low.

The right route can be different for everyone though, some people only have a few problem areas to look at. I am bad about everything so I monitor everything.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calories are the only thing I'm cutting purposefully. I also try to make sure I get enough protein, which has the added benefit of cutting my carbs as a side effect.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Calories, sodium, and negative thinking! :drinker:
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've cut back my calories, but increased the amount of protein within those calories. I wasn't getting the protein I needed before. And by cutting calories, I'm trying to eliminate alot of chocolate, cookies, etc.....so inadvertantly cutting back on sugar.
  • cashcw
    Options
    I'm cutting out all soft drinks. I try to drink a glass of low fat milk, glass of OJ and water the rest of the day.
  • tinamartinson
    tinamartinson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree about healthy balance and finding what works for you.

But, I highly disagree with not worrying about calories and just cutting sugar. Calories do matter even if it isn't from sugar.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Sodium. I don't even worry about sugar since I rarely even eat it in granulated form, anyway. The sugar from complex carbs is actually pretty good for you, and MFP has the sugar settings way low. A single serving of fresh fruit like grapes will use up your sugar for the day.

Sodium, however, is a major contributing factor to high blood pressure. My family has a history of high blood pressure so I am trying my darndest to stay under that 2500mg number most days. I still go over pretty regularly.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've cut calories, and pop. I'm also trying to lower my sodium and increase potassium. No more fast food! That was a huge change.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Carbs. I was able to eat a good size amount of cereal in the mornings over the summer because I was more active. However, now that the kids are back in school I replaced the cereal with a lean protein instead.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly just cutting back on calories, but have been watching my potassium and protein to make sure I get enough.
  • lauren0804
    Options
    i've been told recently to cut back sugar to lose weight and don't worry about calories.

She was/is my wellness coach ( I don't see her too much these days because of finances). The main area where I gain weight is my mid section so she said sugar is the cause of the weight gain. I think I eat fairly well and not a junk eater, except for the occasional candy now and then.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Only thing I rarely do now is soda and try and keep my sodium under 2000. I keep things simple, there is no forbidden food groups.
  • Hmmcglothl
    Hmmcglothl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've tried to cut out sugar, carbs, fat...not eat after 6pm..on and on. The ONLY thing that has worked for me is to count calories. I really think that a calorie is a calorie. Just that some food helps to sustain your level of fullness for a longer period of time. If I binge on carbs the insulin response my body gives makes me STARVING the whole day so I'm just more likely to eat more calories that day.
  • lauren0804
    Options
    Calories, sodium, and negative thinking! :drinker:

I like the cutting back on negative thinking part :)
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options

She was/is my wellness coach ( I don't see her too much these days because of finances). The main area where I gain weight is my mid section so she said sugar is the cause of the weight gain. I think I eat fairly well and not a junk eater, except for the occasional candy now and then.
    Knee jerk reaction --- she's wrong. I don't mean for that to sound harsh, but thinking that cutting sugar and keeping your calories where they areis a solution to your problem is probably why she's a 'wellness coach' and not a real nutritionist.
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just calories, I eat the same stuff I did before. Granted, in smaller proportions than I did before.

Though I am also trying to cut back my soda intake, I used to only drink the Diet stuff (which a sugary one now and then for indulgance), but I'm starting to think I should replace some of it with something better. Crystal Light works, but that gets boring quick.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Tate-and-Lyle-Granulated-Pure-Cane-Sugar-Big.jpg

lg-mcsaltvinegar.jpg

Koppaberg-2.jpg

Isn't so bad really. My desire to be healthier and look good is greater than my desire for this ****.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to cut back on sugar, too. Not because they are more important than the calories, though—I don't think that is true. I just want to have a healthy balance of sugar!

I'm also cutting back on calories, but I'm focusing on ADDING more veggies into my diet! I think the mindset of adding more of something while cutting back on something else helps me stay balanced and in a non-deprived state of mind. :)

Also trying to add more healthy fats into my diet and not be afraid of limited amounts of butter, oil, etc. I spent most of my life thinking that FAT was bad, but have recently learned that it is really part of a healthy diet—even our neurons need fat to build their insulation, and we need fat to absorb healthy nutrients.

I think sugar is the same thing... cutting back to a healthy amount is good, but it is part of a healthy, balanced diet. Check out the book In Defense of Food, and the Nutrition Diva podcast—great resources for learning the truth about nutrients vs. food and a balanced diet! :) Good luck!