How have you gained confidence since losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• siggakolla
    siggakolla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i actually did it the other way around, i had gotten to the stage of basically hating myself and i didnt even want to look in the mirror, i had stopped going out on the weekends because i would always end up feeling horrible about myself.
    then one night when my friend ,who I hardly get to see, came to visit and i decided, im not gonna let my confidence get in the way! for one night while she is here i will be full of confidence and have fun! and the entire night i had guys talking to me and i was dancing and having fun! all because i just decided to let go of my self hatred.
    after that i really worked hard on getting my confidence back and for the most part its there! but there are moments where i see a picture of myself with all my "skinny" friends and i wish i wasnt twice their size! but i´ll get there! :D
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Some days I do. Some days I don't. I look in the mirror and see the old guy about 75% of the time. It's getting better though. In terms of fitness my confidence is through the roof. I do what I want and don't care what others think or say. However in other aspects of life, like dating, there is very little to none at the moment.

Clothes is another big one for me. Never cared about it. As long as it fit and covered my huge gut, I was happy. Now I am discovering nicer things to wear that I couldn't before in the past since they just didn't make it in my size. I actually care about how I look now and that adds to my confidence.
  • natymatos
    natymatos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh I have to say that it has. As soon as I lost the first 20 pounds and I have a long way to go. I'm actually enjoying working out, which is new to me. I was unable to wear heels because I was so heavy that it was very bothersome on my knees. I feel like a woman instead of a slob. With only 30 pounds I've gone down 5 dress sizes, it has been quite the experience to go shopping for more fitted clothes. I use to always wear not only baggy clothes but I wouldn't accesorize, rarely wore make up. Now I enjoy fixing myself.

Weight has been a lifelong struggle for me. I use to shower in the dark. I figured I know where everything is, I don't need to see it. For the first time I was able to look at myself in the mirrow on my Eve suit and the lights are on now when I shower. So I guess I have definetly gain some confidence and my self esteem has gotten a huge push since I started this journey.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Nope. Weight has nothing to do with confidence. Unless you have lots of confidence even when you're overweight. You have to work on both separately. This is from my own experience though.

that's true... but i think for some losing weight has helped their self esteem and image and confidence as seen in some of the stories. but that is true that the mind issue is different and it doesn't always happen for everyone that they gain confidence. i agree that you have the ability to be confident no matter what your weight/body shape.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Nope. Weight has nothing to do with confidence.

I'd say this is untrue for many, if not most. You could argue that "confidence is from within" but face it, feeling awful about how others perceive you is a pretty big deal to a lot of people, and it does have an effect on one's self esteem.
  • mshoneysmile7
    mshoneysmile7 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I started feeling more confident when I noticed that certain clothes looked better on me. When my old clothes started looking baggy, it put a little pep in my step. I actually started wearing DRESSES this summer. Prior to this summer, I only work a dress to my father's wedding in 97 and my prom. And if I did wear a dress, I wore them WITH leggings. I also gain a lot of confidence when I take before and after photos. That helps me to see where I came from, and reassures me that I am making the right choices.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!