Ladies w/PCOS or Infertility, ever heard of Inositol?

Options
Hi All!

My friend told me about inositol and the effects it can have on someone with PCOS or fertility issues. I have posted a few links to some sites to get better insight, I think I might start taking this, seems beneficial.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/488700-inositol-its-benefits-on-pcos/
(yes I know this is a livestrong article, but it best explains the benefits the inositol is supposed to provide, there are references at the bottom)

http://www.lef.org/protocols/female_reproductive/polycystic_ovary_syndrome_02.htm
(shows studies of different vitamins and supplements to help with PCOS, including inositol)

http://www.europeanreview.org/pdf/94.pdf
(this is a pdf, not sure if the link with open it)

These are just a few, some are not "scientific studies" so I didn't want to get reamed by anyone for just listening to others peoples experiences with it, but I read some forums on different sites that women have had success with this. It is even supposed to promote hair growth, which would be a Godsend for me! I used to have super thick long hair and because of the PCOS it is thin and ugh horrible!

Have any of you tried this and have had good results? Bad? Ever heard of it? I would love to hear other opinions on it, it is something new I just started looking into, and if the benefits really are what they say they are, seems like it would help alot of women that have these issues.

Let me know your thoughts!!

Replies

• faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Have have suffered from PCOS for a long time myself too. But, I did have great results from Metformin. I never lost hair with PCOS, but have the hair on my chin, breast area, ect. I did begin losing hair with my relative hypothyroidism and the meds I take for it. I've never felt better!

I'm sorry I don't have much to say on your initial post of the drug your speaking about.

I never had the fertility issues, but with PCOS I did suffer three miscarriages, and required drugs preconception to sustain the pregnancy because of my progesterone dropping so quickly. I also had to have synthetic progesterone with the Metformin the first trimester to help with things.

I could say it all worked because today I have a healthy 6 and 4 year old.

I just wanted to put out there that PCOS (sucks!) because besides infertility, it causes m/cs too. :( First and foremost eat right and exercise....which helps a lot!
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Supposedly this is supposed to taken instead of metformin, but not completely sure lol hoping someone can fill us in on this, i know alot of women that try for so long to have a baby and ive read of multiple ones that finally conceived after taking this. Just not sure if its special cases or probable for everyone. Im gonna keep researching and see what i come up with, hopefullythere is someone on here who has heard of it lol

Thanks faith!
  • lisamarie2181
    Options
    Bump!!! anyone out there?
  • Leeny01
    Leeny01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    BUMP back ;)

I've looked into this a lot and I know people who have had great success while taking inositol (and some who really didn't notice much of a change). Follow the link I'm going to post, there is a video that explains the role of inositol and the product I'm linking is supposedly the best/one of the best. There are a lot of testimonies on there as well. The one thing to note with inositol is that you have to take enough according to your weight. (I think the website clarifies this somewhere) I think it's like 1 capsule (however mgs that particular product is) per 150 pounds. Let me know what you think! xo

http://store.chiralbalance.com/D-chiro-inositol-p/dci600mg60.htm?gclid=CLmazOW017ICFQqk4AodeFAAbw

(Scroll down for the video, it's short and VERY helpful!)
  • lisamarie2181
    Options
    Thanks Leeny!! I will check this out when i get to work in the morning, i was wondering how much you were supposed to take lol want to stop at the vitamin shoppe and pick some up tomorrow. I know they have a buy one get one 50 off going on, i was also thinking about getting biotin, i heard some people say it really helps with hair growth, i need all the help i can get! Lol

Thanks so much for the link :)
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful! Thank you for posting this!
  • Angieh0811
    Angieh0811 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been on inositol for 4 months now. So happy my naturopath put me on it. I have noticed huge changes in my skin. I would have huge break outs and super clogged pores. People are actually commenting on how great my skin looks. I have it in powder form and put it in my protein shake in the morning. I haven't noticed to much with my weight due to my high prolactin, but I would highly recommend it.
  • tingle2
    tingle2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My dr says to take it with my metformin, I hope it helps with my hair loss.. my darn eyebrows look so sad.
    He reccomends D-Chiro-Inositol. I am actually looking into getting some but haven't taken it just yet!
  • lisamarie2181
    Options
    I read about the d chiro one but it said its not as easy to get, im not sure if that means it has to be prescribed? I am definitelt gonna try it, from the looks of it other ladies ive talked to have had good success with it. I dont want to take an actual drug, i live pretty holistically, so im not too thrilled about having to take the pill lol this is a B vitamin, im surprised ive never heard of it till now!
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    If you are having hair loss I highly recommend seeing an endo to test for hypothyroidism.

I have been diagnosed with:
    PCOS
    hypoglycemia
    hypothyroidism
    gestational diabetes

I am also gluten and dairy intolerant and also can't really tolerate legumes or soy.

I have seen numerous docs including endos and a gastro but what I've learned is that for me, my PCOS was related or caused (probably caused) by undiagnosed hypothyroidism. MANY doctors use outdated information. Go to a progressive endo.

To find a good endo, ask if they will test your tsh, free t3 and free t4. If they are "funny" about testing t3 and especially t4, find another.
  • Kristy_Albritton
    Options
    I have PCOS, as well. I was diagnosed...I guess I was sixteen? My husband and I tried to conceive for over ten years with no luck. We tried EVERYTHING that Duke Fertility Clinic wanted us to, except IVF. I was on Metformin. as well and I didn't see a difference in anything! Anyway, I decided to get healthy and lose weight. I lost over a hundred pounds and the PCOS symptoms completely disappeared. Everything! I then became pregnant with our daughter after just two cycles of clomid, a low dose fertility pill.
    I could write a book on infertility and PCOS. They are both horrible things to live with!!
    I don't have any experience in Inositol. But I have heard good things!
    Good luck and please keep us updated! I'm hoping that losing the weight again will get rid of my symptoms, once and for all! But I'd be interested to know more about Inositol. :)
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Not trying to steal your board, but has anyone had any trouble with male pattern hair growth? What are you doing about it (besides waxing, plucking, shaving)?

I've been on metformin for a year now, and the hair isn't budging. It might be growing SLIGHTLY slower, but I haven't noticed that much of a change so far.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I tried metformin and all it did was upset my stomach. I have a huge bottle of that stuff in my medicine cabinet left over from over 10 years ago.

It took one year of trying and two cycles of clomid (along with the horror stories of going to several doctors who took money but did nothing to help) to get pregnant. Clomid worked for me.
  • Leeny01
    Leeny01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I read about the d chiro one but it said its not as easy to get, im not sure if that means it has to be prescribed? I am definitelt gonna try it, from the looks of it other ladies ive talked to have had good success with it. I dont want to take an actual drug, i live pretty holistically, so im not too thrilled about having to take the pill lol this is a B vitamin, im surprised ive never heard of it till now!

I don't know about the isn't easy to get part? It's not prescribed, you can just order it online. Maybe that just means it's a pain because you have to order it online, I don't think they have that one particularly in stores. You get discounts on that d-chiro website for certain things, like a first time order discount, a discount if you join a certain free pcos website, etc. You also get discounts for ordering multiple bottles at once.

If you just want to get inositol from another source, you could try swansonvitamins.com. They are very well priced, have a lot of different brands and people post reviews on the products, which can be very helpful. You can find out what their most popular inositol is and try it. Every time I've ordered from Swanson, the prices have been very competitive and I've gotten the vitamins really quickly. Hope this helps! :) -Coleen x
  • sonjanicole
    Options
    I've heard of Inositol, but don't have too much information on it. But there is a group on here for all PCOS women, it might be a better place to ask!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4339-pcosers-unite
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Not trying to steal your board, but has anyone had any trouble with male pattern hair growth? What are you doing about it (besides waxing, plucking, shaving)?

I've been on metformin for a year now, and the hair isn't budging. It might be growing SLIGHTLY slower, but I haven't noticed that much of a change so far.

Laser hair removal helps a lot. I use one by Silk'n, and I'd assume any model they make is a pretty safe bet. I had it done professionally first, but it's much more cost effective to get your own. It's only effective on hair that isn't blond, though.
  • Huiminlovesfood
    Options
    Sorry cant help either! Metformin works wonder for me! Just 21 days and my period arrived! No side effects either. However, it did not help me lose weight like it helped the others. Good luck!
  • lisamarie2181
    Options

I don't know about the isn't easy to get part? It's not prescribed, you can just order it online. Maybe that just means it's a pain because you have to order it online, I don't think they have that one particularly in stores. You get discounts on that d-chiro website for certain things, like a first time order discount, a discount if you join a certain free pcos website, etc. You also get discounts for ordering multiple bottles at once.

If you just want to get inositol from another source, you could try swansonvitamins.com. They are very well priced, have a lot of different brands and people post reviews on the products, which can be very helpful. You can find out what their most popular inositol is and try it. Every time I've ordered from Swanson, the prices have been very competitive and I've gotten the vitamins really quickly. Hope this helps! :) -Coleen x

Yeah it was in one of the articles i read lol i think the one at the vitamin shop is the myo one. Ill check out those sites for sure, the cheaper the better lol

Thanks Coleen :)
  • lisamarie2181
    Options

Ive been lucky and havent had too much of a problem w this, but i do get a few scragglers here and there, and i dont get them as often since ive lost weight. It should get better the more weight u lose i believe :)