what can you substitute?

Options
I know there are several things you can swap out and substitute a good for a bad when cooking/baking and I was just wondering what are some of the substitutes you all use? My family loves brownies and someone told me you can substitute applesauce for the oil, is that true? I am new to this healthy lifestyle and am trying to learn as I go...Thanks in advance!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    What kind of oil? Why not just use a healthy oil like coconut oil? Chances are you need the good fats more than you need additional fructose.

Or coconut flour/almond flour instead of refined white flour. (takes some trying)
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always substitute plain, unsweetened applesauce for my muffins, cakes, brownies. I buy the snack size versions since each "cup" is 1/2 cup and I typically don't use more than that at one time. If the recipe calls for 1/4 cup oil, use 1/4 applesauce.
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can sub applesauce for oil. I often do half/half.

Google for "black bean brownies." I know it sounds gross on the outside, but they really are good--and my family never knew the difference! Also, there are flourless recipes.

Instead of white flour I use whole wheat pastry flour. It is as fine as white so gives the same results, and again, my family never knew.
  • lettie1955
    Options
    What kind of oil? Why not just use a healthy oil like coconut oil? Chances are you need the good fats more than you need additional fructose.

Or coconut flour/almond flour instead of refined white flour. (takes some trying)

Coconut oil is horrible!
  • lettie1955
    Options
    Yes, you can sub applesauce for oil. I often do half/half.

Google for "black bean brownies." I know it sounds gross on the outside, but they really are good--and my family never knew the difference! Also, there are flourless recipes.

Instead of white flour I use whole wheat pastry flour. It is as fine as white so gives the same results, and again, my family never knew.

Food Network - Melissa d'Arabian, has a recipe for these.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Wellbert makes a good point. What do you need in your brownies? More sugar, or more filling, quality fat? You'll be happier with fewer brownies if they are more filling.

The evil downside to a lot of "reduced fat"/"reduced calorie" recipes is that they'll often be mistaken for a healthy food rather than a not-quite-so-terribly-unhealthy food, and many people tend to have seconds or thirds, where they'd be more careful with the "bad" stuff.

Having laid down my cautionary tale, I have used applesauce in brownies successfully many times. Works great. It adds fiber and lowers the calorie content, and as long as you lower the sugar in the recipe to account for the sugars in the applesauce, it can actually make the brownies lower in calories and with some slight reduction in the negative health consequences of eating them.

Just never, EVER use the term "healthy brownies". There ain't no such thing, and if you have one half again as big because you cut out some fat and used applesauce - you'd have been better off with the smaller piece of the real thing.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Coconut oil is horrible!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-oil-health-benefits/#axzz27hHunmKR
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Use a chocolate cake mix and combine with one can pure pumpkin, nothing else. Bake like cupcakes. Very yummy and has a very brownie like texture. You can do it with any flavor cake mix. I love doing it with a spice cake mix too.
  • lettie1955
    Options

Coconut oil is horrible!

Dr. Willett tells me there’s no problem using coconut oil occasionally. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so it may be a good substitute for butter or vegetable shortening to make baked goods that require a solid fat. And it may be essential for preparing certain Thai dishes.

But for now, I’d use coconut oil sparingly. Most of the research so far has consisted of short-term studies to examine its effect on cholesterol levels. We don’t really know how coconut oil affects heart disease.

Coconut oil’s special HDL-boosting effect may make it “less bad” than its high saturated fat content would suggest. But it’s still probably not the best oil to reduce the risk of heart disease. Furthermore, while we know that people with naturally high levels of HDL are less likely to have heart disease, we don’t know that raising normal levels with coconut oil or pills produces heart benefits.

So what I recommend for you, and for myself, is to cook with other vegetable oils, such as olive oil or soybean oil. These oils are mainly unsaturated fat, and they both lower LDL and increase HDL.
  • lettie1955
    Options
    Wellbert makes a good point. What do you need in your brownies? More sugar, or more filling, quality fat? You'll be happier with fewer brownies if they are more filling.

The evil downside to a lot of "reduced fat"/"reduced calorie" recipes is that they'll often be mistaken for a healthy food rather than a not-quite-so-terribly-unhealthy food, and many people tend to have seconds or thirds, where they'd be more careful with the "bad" stuff.

Having laid down my cautionary tale, I have used applesauce in brownies successfully many times. Works great. It adds fiber and lowers the calorie content, and as long as you lower the sugar in the recipe to account for the sugars in the applesauce, it can actually make the brownies lower in calories and with some slight reduction in the negative health consequences of eating them.

Just never, EVER use the term "healthy brownies". There ain't no such thing, and if you have one half again as big because you cut out some fat and used applesauce - you'd have been better off with the smaller piece of the real thing.

Well said.
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Use a chocolate cake mix and combine with one can pure pumpkin, nothing else. Bake like cupcakes. Very yummy and has a very brownie like texture. You can do it with any flavor cake mix. I love doing it with a spice cake mix too.

That sounds yummy!
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options

What size can of pumpkin do you use? This does sound delicious. I want to try it :smile:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened applesauce for any baked goods calling for oil - occasionally I'll use pumpkin too depending on what it is, both are yummy

Fage 0% plain greek yogurt for anything (and I mean anything!) calling for sour cream or mayo (sometimes I'll just use a little low fat mayo for the saltiness if I'm making say, chicken or egg salad)

Egg whites for whole eggs (2 egg whites = 1 egg) - mainly to lower the calorie count not because I think yolks are unhealthy)

Unsweetened vanilla almond milk for protein shakes/cereal instead of regular milk - reduces calories and carbs and tastes good!

Sprite Zero in vanilla cake mix for lower calorie cupcakes

Yogurt butter instead of regular butter

Laughing Cow wedges instead of cream cheese/spreadable cheese
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I know there are several things you can swap out and substitute a good for a bad when cooking/baking and I was just wondering what are some of the substitutes you all use? My family loves brownies and someone told me you can substitute applesauce for the oil, is that true? I am new to this healthy lifestyle and am trying to learn as I go...Thanks in advance!

I have heard that as well and plan on trying it in the future. I'm also going to start using whole wheat flour, egg beaters. As far as sugar - well that is a tricky one for me since it's hard to determine how sweet it will be, but I'm sure there are diabetic recipes that give advice with that.

As far as the oil I think 1/3 of the amount s/b applesauce. +
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options

What size can of pumpkin do you use? This does sound delicious. I want to try it :smile:

I'd like to know as well. As long as the intent was to use unsweetened pumpkin then you could also use squash as well. I just cut what ever squash I've got in half, scape out the seeds and bake at 400 F for an hour or so. I put it in a glass dish with a bit of water in the bottom. You just mash it up when it is soft enough. Putting it through the blender with a bit of water makes a very nice puree. I add this to all sorts of stuff from baked goods to spagetti sauce to chilie. Very yummy.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options

Coconut oil is horrible!

Dr. Willett tells me there’s no problem using coconut oil occasionally. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so it may be a good substitute for butter or vegetable shortening to make baked goods that require a solid fat. And it may be essential for preparing certain Thai dishes.

But for now, I’d use coconut oil sparingly. Most of the research so far has consisted of short-term studies to examine its effect on cholesterol levels. We don’t really know how coconut oil affects heart disease.

Coconut oil’s special HDL-boosting effect may make it “less bad” than its high saturated fat content would suggest. But it’s still probably not the best oil to reduce the risk of heart disease. Furthermore, while we know that people with naturally high levels of HDL are less likely to have heart disease, we don’t know that raising normal levels with coconut oil or pills produces heart benefits.

So what I recommend for you, and for myself, is to cook with other vegetable oils, such as olive oil or soybean oil. These oils are mainly unsaturated fat, and they both lower LDL and increase HDL.

We only use organic coconut oil. We are all healthy and normal weight. Soybean oil and canolia/corn oils are genetically modified. Also, coconut is one of the very few that is good for high heat. Even olive oil has free radicals after a certain heat point.

I sub ground flax for eggs in recipes (I don't eat dairy) 1 tablespoon flax + 3 tablespoons water and set it aside for 5 min until it thickens equals 1 egg. I use that for pancakes and baked things. I sub 100% real organic maple syrup or pureed dates for white sugar in recipes too.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    I found this chocolate cake recipe on pinterest last night. Made out of toasted quinoa (ground up into flour.) It looks delicious, I need to try it http://www.queenofquinoa.me/2012/04/vegan-peanut-butter-quinoa-chocolate-cake/

Here is one for black bean brownies: http://happyherbivore.com/2009/05/vegan-blackbean-brownies/
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I use applesauce for oil a lot! I also use something like almond milk or rice milk in place of milk. I also do about half the amount of unbleached white flour and sub it with whole wheat flour. You can also sometimes substitue flax seed for egg (1tbsp per egg).

And with all my baking, I always add some flax anyway, (milled) and some Chia seeds for the extra omega 3s.