What happens if I don't eat up to the cal

Options
What happens if I don't eat up to the calories I have to eat? Mine is 1500 but how am I to eat 1500 when about 1200-1300 I'm already extremely full.

Replies

• katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie-dense foods.

I like pistachios a lot.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    How did you do it when you gained your weight?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    you'll get cranky
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Nothing bad will happen. You won't starve or go into the mythical "starvation mode".
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Nothing bad will happen. You won't starve or go into the mythical "starvation mode".

Nothing bad will happen...in the short term. Long term, you will start to see repercussions. Your metabolism will slow as your body becomes used to the lessened intake. When you begin eating again at the higher level of calories (what was your original TDEE), you'll gain weight.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options

???
  • MVY_
    Options

Nothing bad will happen...in the short term. Long term, you will start to see repercussions. Your metabolism will slow as your body becomes used to the lessened intake. When you begin eating again at the higher level of calories (what was your original TDEE), you'll gain weight.

I c....so I have to somehow target it or around it to avoid long term effects?
  • MVY_
    Options

In long term, would I feel the effect of not eating enough calories to start with?
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I envy the people who get full before their target calorie goal!
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What happens if I don't eat up to the calories I have to eat? Mine is 1500 but how am I to eat 1500 when about 1200-1300 I'm already extremely full.

i have the same probably but always end up managing about 1300. i think its because of the change in my diet. i eat things that are more filling as opposed to junk food or sugary snacks that i used to eat. chicken and eggs in particular i find to be very filling.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

???
    grazing. Slowly going through a half a bag of Doritos watching TV.

I don't eat back all the calculated exercise calories either. Still getting a handle on how accurate the various calculators are.
    Plus I don't feel much like eating another day's worth of calories after getting home from the Y.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    depending on how many meals you eat, you could try having smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day. instead of three 500 kcal meals, try six 300 calorie meals
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

what are you eating? I suggest increasing your healthy fat intake. 1500 is NOT a lot by any means.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Have a look at this -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It will take 10 minutes to read but It honest and scientifically based advice that you should listen to
  • MVY_
    Options
    depending on how many meals you eat, you could try having smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day. instead of three 500 kcal meals, try six 300 calorie meals

I eat a lot of snacks but when I eat "big meals" it would be around 200-400 calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie-dense foods.

I like pistachios a lot.

This. Peanut butter, fattier meats, whole milk, beans/nuts/seeds/legumes... all good ways to add cals.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Have a look at this -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It will take 10 minutes to read but It honest and scientifically based advice that you should listen to
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Without knowing more about you, it's hard to say for sure, but the most likely consequence will be a greater loss of muscle.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options

AGREED! There's a great article here on MFP about the starvation myth. I wish I knew the link. But basically it says that even IF you go into "starvation mode" it doesn't mean that you aren't losing weight, it just means your metabolism slows.

Personally, I've learned to "use" them for a treat. I like a glass of wine but I've also learned that wine could be the cause of my headaches so I just started gluten free beer. One a night if I have a few calories left and I WANT it - a treat of sorts, for not going OVER. But it's OK not to eat all your calories. Especially one or two days.