My body is defective

Options
I'm frustrated. Weight loss has always been a problem for me. I eat healthy, I excercise almost excessively, and I can't lose weight. I don't have many bad habits to correct, which makes it harder. My body is used to a high level of activity, which makes it harder. I gained a pound this morning and I'm quite upset. I realize that it could be water or any number of things, but the point is, that I should have lost 6 pounds by now and I've not lost anything. I know I have a body that just doesn't lose weight easily, which will help me in the zombie apocalypse, but right now, it just pisses me off. I've never met anyone who has such a hard time losing weight. The only times I have ever lost weight are when I SERIOUSLY restrict food intake, but this is very difficult due to my activity level.

Anyway, enough of my whining. I think what it's come down to, is that I just can't ever eat certain foods. Whenever I eat any bread, pasta or dairy I pork out. To be clear, as a rule I rarely eat these foods. However, when I have been on an 8 hour hike I feel like I should be able to get away with having a sandwich or a pasta dish or a glass of milk, but no. I think I'm going to try eliminating these foods completely for a week and see what happens. Some days I wish I could just eat normally (healthy foods according to recommended intake by the food guide). I get so tired of counting and restricting.

Has anyone had this experience with certain foods? Also, anyone else out there who is similar to me who does the right things(eats well, exercises often, follows recommended calorie intake) and has had a terrible time losing weight? Any ideas, recommendations for changes in eating?

Replies

• 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level set at? What do you do that you consider "high level of activity" - is it your job, your actual exercise? How many calories does MFP recommend you to eat?
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Having your diary open would be easier for us to help you. Have you had a visit with a doctor? Any history of Thyroid issues in your family? An 8 hour hike, with healthy eating and no weightloss? That doesn't seem right... I would make an appointment with your doctor to have a full exam.

When it comes to the 1 lb weight gain, do not stress over that! As you said, it could be a number of things. It could also be muscle gain(which is a good thing) if you are hiking for 8 hours, chances are your going to gain leg muscle, which will show on the scale. Your body actually fluctuates in weight by about 2 pounds throughout the day, so it is important to try and weigh yourself at the same time everyday. The best time for me is in first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Completely eliminate those foods for a month, and perhaps you will see a good difference. I don't know how much you have to lose or anything, but if it isn't much, that could make things be taking longer. It's easier to lose a bunch quickly if you have a lot to lose. I recommend reading The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. It will help you understand why those foods might be working against your body. (come to the Paleo side.... we have bacon)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I dont usually suggest that anyone may actually be a special snowflake, but my friend kay had the same problems and appetite problems too- swinging really high and low and she ended up being allergic to gluten - have you tested for anything or are you trying to eliminate common sense problems with us before jumping to conclusions?

I worry when I see someone's very first post is so sad and needing help. Dont be sad :flowerforyou:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for allergies or intolerances? That sounds like a viable answer to at least some of your issues, and it seems like you already notice a poor reaction to these foods.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    No open diary. Saying you "eat healthy" does not make it so. Saying you "exercise excessively" does not make it so.

Basically, details and specifics are what people need to offer advice and help.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    No open diary. Saying you "eat healthy" does not make it so. Saying you "exercise excessively" does not make it so.

Basically, details and specifics are what people need to offer advice and help.

^^^^Yup, plus you've only been on MFP ONE month, OP.

Let us see what you're eating and doing to help determine if your body is truly defective. Is it possible there's other variables here? Of course!

But people who are new, don't see results right away, and have private diaries tend to have the same problems: they're not actually exercising, they're not eating well (sodium is almost always an issue), they're eating too few or too many calories, or they're doing everything perfectly... and it's only been two or three weeks!
  • HopperGoLightly
    Options
    I'm not sure what an open diary is, but I'm unlikely to use that feature.

Good Lord, some of jump to conclusions. Just because I've only been on this site for a month, does not mean that I just woke up one day and decided to start recording food and fitness. FYI - I was on My Food Diary for 3 years and I did have successful results, BUT, I was only successful when I ate significantly under the recommended daily intake.

For me, healthy eating is staying within my recommended calorie range, I rarely eat any fast food, sweets, "junk food", processsed foods. My diet consists mainly of fresh fruits and vegetables, some leaner meats, lentils, rice and beans, quinoa. When I have really high activity days (generally big hiking days) I will eat carbalicious foods (pasta with plain tomato sauce, bread, potatoes etc)

I'm set at sendentary activity level for my job, as I do mainly office work. Clearly, I should be a labourer ;-)

I generally do 1-3 hours of exercise per day during the week, often cardio (dancing, mountain biking, badminton, running, hiking, yoga). On weekends I generally do one lighter day of about an hour or two of lighter dancing, walking etc. and one day of intensive hiking 5-10 hours (up mountains). I'd like to add weight training again, because I think it might help. .

I'm not drastically overweight, but I'm aiming to lose 20 lbs. I gained some weight earlier this year (10lbs) after sustaining a couple of injuries after a fall off my mountain biking. I was reduced to one hour a day of exercise and it wasn't at the intensity level my body was used to. I've been back at my regular activity level for several months and I've seen no results, which is very disappointing.

My sister is gluten intolerant, but I don't think I have an allergy per se, but I do think that maybe I don't digest wheaty food well. Also, my mom has a thyroid problem, but again, I don't think this is the problem. I was tested once years ago and I was fine. Also, not to disclose too much, but I don't poop a lot! I've always been this way, so I don't see it as a problem.

I think it must have to do at least partly with the food I'm eating. I suspect a few things might be at play.
    1. Although I infrequently eat bread and pasta, whenever I do, I feel gross for days and the weight goes up.
    2. I think my sugars are too high from too much fruit.
    3. I think my body just burns energy really slowly and it's possible that I don't need as much calories to keep me going.
    4. High levels of stress (it's a work thing)
    5. Age - I'm 37 now and it has been getting harder and harder every year

Yoovie - Don't worry, I'm alright, it's just really frustrating. In a sense, everyone is a "special snowflake". All our bodies work differently, it's just a matter of cracking the code of what works for my body.

I don't generally post on these forums, because I don't usually feel I need that kind of support (or, in some cases, criticism - I forget sometimes that all kinds of people use the internet!). However, I do appreciate your suggestions. I'm gonna start with reducing my sugars (less fruit) and taking out the foods that make me feel terrible. Wish me luck!
  • firstsip
    Options
    Sorry, all I saw was instant defensiveness (when YOU posted a topic, clearly looking for input) and a, "I'm unlikely to use open diary." Right, we'll trust you on everything ;)
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure she just doesn't understand what you mean by "open diary." She's new, cut her some slack. She's logging, so that means she's working at it.

Here's how you open your diary so people can check to see what you're eating and hopefully we can give you some insight on macros and food content that will assist you with your weight loss goals.

1. Go to Settings
    2. Select Diary Settings
    3. Scroll down to Diary settings and choose "public"

Save and you're all set.

Please don't think everyone on MFP is an *kitten*. Only some of us are. A lot of these people are just really hungry.
  • firstsip
    Options
    Guess I'm an *kitten* for interpreting the words, "I'm unlikely to use that setting" for... what it means. Shucks.
  • HeatherPH
    HeatherPH Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure she just doesn't understand what you mean by "open diary." She's new, cut her some slack. She's logging, so that means she's working at it.

I agree! Plus, the concept of an open diary is terrifying when you first start on this site! I know I had mine closed for ages. It was only when I started adding friends and realised that it was the norm to have an open diary that I changed my settings.
  • HopperGoLightly
    Options
    I guess being hungry can turn some people into a real *****. Or maybe having too much time on one's hands.

I'm not an internet *kitten* and I still value my privacy, not that I need to justify my behaviour to anyone of you.

Honestly, I'm super surpised at the condescending crap from some users.

Lucky for me, I don't need the support to be successful, but I feel sorry for others who encounter this kind of behaviour.

I'll not be posting here again. Thank you to supportive users who have something helpful to say. To the others, keep in mind losing weight will not alter a nasty personality.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to your frustration. My body just wants to retain or gain weight, the amount of exercise I have to do compared to most people is ridiculous. Sure this probably helped out my ancestors in pre industrial feast or famine Europe but now it's really a pain in my *kitten*.

Of the many tips/trickings/knowledge that I got from reading the abs diet book is the importance of eating. If you do not eat enough you stress out your body and push it into conservation mode.

The thing that really helped me is keeping my glycemic index as level as possible by spreading out my calorie intake throughout the day. This means that I eat 6 times a day, every 2-3 hours. I have my 3 main meals like normal but in break up the time inbetween them with "snacks". A typical snack for me would be something as simple as a chobani yogurt or an avacado, or a couple of hard boiled eggs. The goal is to keep something in your belly burning so that your metabolism burns higher throughout the day.

Also consider incorporating weight training. Adding to your muscle mass will increase the amount of calories your body burns when you're not exercising.
  • firstsip
    Options
    4lk0o.gif
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Also consider incorporating weight training. Adding to your muscle mass will increase the amount of calories your body burns when you're not exercising.

^This.

Strength training will do amazing things for your body. I'm a newbie, but I already notice a difference in my endurance. Not to mention that muscle will help keep your metabolism going, which will help you burn calories at rest. It's really a great way to go. If you're interested in reading up on it the New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great source of information for a novice.
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Goodness...so much animosity. Can't we all just get along?
  • kareinlib
    Options
    You should check with your doctor! Either that or completely cut out those foods for a month and see if you feel/do better, because if you do, that might mean you have an allergy to one of the obscure chemicals that ends up in a lot of foods like that. My friend has that and just had to cut them out.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I think you are overdoing the exercise. You probably need to eat more calories and do less cardio plus incorporate weights as was previously said.

Hard to know for sure with the diary closed but check what you net in calories per day... probably way too little. This will stall weight loss.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My sister is gluten intolerant, but I don't think I have an allergy per se, but I do think that maybe I don't digest wheaty food well. Also, my mom has a thyroid problem, but again, I don't think this is the problem. I was tested once years ago and I was fine. Also, not to disclose too much, but I don't poop a lot! I've always been this way, so I don't see it as a problem.

I think it must have to do at least partly with the food I'm eating. I suspect a few things might be at play.
    1. Although I infrequently eat bread and pasta, whenever I do, I feel gross for days and the weight goes up.
    2. I think my sugars are too high from too much fruit.
    3. I think my body just burns energy really slowly and it's possible that I don't need as much calories to keep me going.
    4. High levels of stress (it's a work thing)
    5. Age - I'm 37 now and it has been getting harder and harder every year

These are all classic markers of the followig conditions:

Gluten Intolerance/Allergy
    Borderline Type 2 Diabetes
    Insulin Resistance
    High Cortisol

Guess what, it's not an accident that all of these conditions are inter-related 9 times in 10. I know because I've been dealing with these issues with my wife for the last 2 years and it all started when she developed a gluten intolerance, which screwed up her thyroid, which led to a host of other problems. Gluten issues are heriditary, but my not surface for years (or ever) but can come on suddenly. Any time my wife eats gluten she feels like crap and hurts for days (stomach, joints, swelling hands and feet, gets angry easily, etc).

On the OPs defensive posture to the posts on the thread, I think it's justified. Too many of the users on MFP are quick to turn everything around on the OP and bash when they won't share a food diary rather than giving constructive advice. It's easier to send someone a private message and ask politely to share their diary than to publicly attack them. But then again the average user on here generally seems to be an uninformed dope with a huge superiority complex in my time here.