Help.....I want to...

NewBeginning2010
NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Buy a heart rate monitor....the watch type....so that when im on the treadmill i know exactly what im buring....

How many of you know if this is more accurate then what the treadmill would say you burned because even on the treadmill your entering your weight....but i wonder sometimes....

Any advice would be helpful as i plan on buying one on saturday.

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    I (and many on the Weight Watchers message boards) have the Polar F6. I love mine! It's coded so it won't pick up someone else's monitor. Mine says I burn almost twice the calories that Wii Active tells me I did.
  • You also have to consider that some of those dont take your BMI into account but can still be more accurate than the ones on treadmills. So make sure you buy a good one that is very accurate. and let me know how it works cuz ive been thinking about buying one myself.
  • NewBeginning2010
    HOW DO YOU KNOW WHICH ONES ARE ACCURATE ...ID LOVE ANYONE WHO HAS ONE TO HELP ME OUT :sad:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    The most accurate ones are the ones with chest straps.

I have a Reebok HRM and it's awesome. WAAAAY cheaper than the polar and does all the same stuff.
  • NewBeginning2010
    I WANTED ONE I CAN WEAR ALL DAY TO CALCULATE STEPS AND CALORIES...ID RATHER NOT DO THE CHEST STRAP....ANY ONE KNOW FROM COMPARRISON WHAT BRAND OR TYPE IS BETTER??
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Polar is the brand that usually does best in comparison studies. I don't know of any HRM that calculate steps; you'd probably need a pedometer for that. Some pedometers will translate steps to calories burned, but I don't know how accurate they are as I don't think they take into consideration weight, height, etc.

If you get a HRM, one with a chest strap is your best option if you care about accuracy.
This discussion has been closed.