How to be successful at C25K?

Options
Hi everyone who broke into running with C25K! I am the classic non-runner who has always hated running, but I'm finally determined to conquer it. I've heard so many inspiring stories about people being really successful with C25K, but I'm about halfway through it and am still not confident I'll be able to run an entire 5K in a couple months!

What weeks during the program did you guys feel overwhelmed? What did you do to encourage yourself to keep going? When did you feel like you were having a breakthrough and could really feel the improvement? Pretty much: I've heard the success stories, but any tips or inspiration for how to complete the program successfully would be great!

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Day two of EVERY week overwhelmed me a little. I always seemed to breeze through day one and think, "RAWR! I rock!" Then two days later, I'd do day two and feel humbled. Then then two days after that, I'd do day three and feel "RAWR!" again, so I moved onto the next week

I encouraged myself to keep going because I wanted to do a 5k with my brother and niece about a month after I finished the program, and not have to have them wait for me forever at the finish line. And because I thought it was so frickin' amazing that I could run at all... Just being able to run more than a quarter of a mile was amazing to me. Then a half mile. Then one mile. Then a mile and a half. Etc. Little engine that could... "I think I can, I think I can..."

Also... even if you have to walk a little... so what!? You're still doing way more than you did as a non-runner. You're still putting in the same miles. I find running a billion times more enjoyable when I let myself walk a little here and there. Even during races, because I know damn well I'm not going to actually WIN, so I might as well have fun. If I'm in pain and can't breathe, I'm not having fun.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm a c25k graduate, did the program last May/June. I had not run in probably close to 20 years. There were a hundred different times when I thought to what was coming ahead and figured I would never be able to do it. Especially at the beginning, when I was out of breath and felt like I was going to die after running 60 seconds I just thought never in a million years will I be able to run 30 straight minutes never mind 5 whole kilometers. And now here I am just a few short months later running 5 k's at least 5 times a week and even doing some 4 mile runs a few times a week.

So here is my best advice. Just DO IT. Sounds simple, but just follow the program as it's laid out, have some faith in yourself that you CAN do it and just get out there and give it your best effort. I think the first 3 weeks were the hardest for me, mentally and physically. I was really sore, my knees hurt and I had shin splints. After that I got into a rhythm and most of the pain went away. And my second piece of advice, get fitted for proper shoes! Seriously, that is so important. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like some encouragement along the way. Good luck to you!!
  • jmm774
    Options
    I always had a tougher time on Day 1 of each week. Day 2 would be better and then Day 3 would usually be great. Then I hit week 4 and that really killed me. I had to repeat the days over and over and got really discouraged. I thought I was just not a runner after all. But I did eventually get through week 4 and move on to week 5. I haven't looked back since and I'm on week 7 now. I think I really just needed to get over that mental hump.
  • michmill98
    Options
    I'm on my third go with C25K and today was the farthest in the program I've ever made it - Week 6, Day 2 which included a 20 min run (indulgent self congrats)! So anyway I completely understand where you're coming from!

While I was okay with running/jogging on the treadmill for the earlier weeks, I found that as the runs got longer it just seemed harder for me to do. Last weekend I went to visit the hubby (he's working on a long term project on the other side of Texas) and the only working treadmill in his apartment complex fitness room was already in use. So I turned on the GPS feature of my C25K app, cranked up the tunes and ran thru the neighborhood. For once I wasn't completely exhausted by minute 6.

I don't know if it was a combination of slowing down slightly (about a 1/2 mph difference from what I was doing on the treadmill) OR not being able to see the exact remaining time (had phone in an armband) OR thinking only 2 more songs or come on, it's only one more song but it worked. I've run the last two days outside and my pace has increased about a 1/4 mph since Saturday. Also, this time in addition to doing the C25K, I've been participating in boot camp style workouts the alternating days so that might have something to do with the stamina feature. Before I might have walked for a half hour on the treadmill on the off days, but I wasn't doing much else.

Are you doing it all on the treadmill or are you doing some of it outside? I discovered that I had to slow it down a bit for the longer runs in order to make it thru them. And as LorinaLynn said - it is OK to walk for a minute or two to catch your breath if you need to!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I actually just did day 3 of week 9 today. The biggest piece of advice I have is don't think - just do. Once you've committed, just do it. Don't worry about what day 2 will bring, or day 3 - don't worry about the next week. Just do it.

If you feel like it's too much - SLOW DOWN. If you can slow down you're going too fast :)

The program is amazing. I was a total non-runner. I didn't even believe I was built to run, I KNEW I couldn't run. Today, I ran 3 miles non stop :) I ran my first 5K in week 7 and I did have walking breaks during it near the end. -shrugs- So? I still DID it! :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    1. Slow down - it's not a race, build endurance first, speed will come later.
    2. Know that you can do it and do it – even if it feels like you can’t finish that run/jog section, you can, I’ve seen it
    3. Day two of each week is gonna be the worst – day one will seem like the obvious one, but day two is always harder and then day three is easier than day one
    4. Use one of the free apps for your phone for the timing - it takes away a lot of the distraction of worrying about the time (I use C25K Free by Zen Labs)

My biggest tip:
    5. If you can, run with someone that is already a stronger, faster runner – they will be able to encourage you and push you to keep going when you feel like stopping. Trying to do it alone or with someone else that also isn’t a strong runner already will make it feel easier to think that you can’t do it. I am currently coaching a woman who is 325lbs and hadn’t run for longer than 30 seconds at a time, in place, in her house, before starting C25K. We just did Week 3, Day 2 last night and so far she has been able to run every single run section at a steady pace the entire way without stopping, even though she felt like she couldn’t make it. There hasn’t been any soreness or injuries or anything along those lines, just the mental block of thinking her body couldn’t do it, but she has completely rocked every single night of it without fail.
  • runnergirlSEA
    runnergirlSEA Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice, everyone! I definitely do prefer to run outside, but may have to do more treadmill runs as it gets colder. I'm excited to just keep it up and know that slowly but surely, I'll get better at running!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip:
    5. If you can, run with someone that is already a stronger, faster runner – they will be able to encourage you and push you to keep going when you feel like stopping. Trying to do it alone or with someone else that also isn’t a strong runner already will make it feel easier to think that you can’t do it. I am currently coaching a woman who is 325lbs and hadn’t run for longer than 30 seconds at a time, in place, in her house, before starting C25K. We just did Week 3, Day 2 last night and so far she has been able to run every single run section at a steady pace the entire way without stopping, even though she felt like she couldn’t make it. There hasn’t been any soreness or injuries or anything along those lines, just the mental block of thinking her body couldn’t do it, but she has completely rocked every single night of it without fail.

^^This for the win! I can rock out at bootcamp classes, cardio kickboxing, and do 100 miles on my bike but I have been struggling like heck to become a runner. Just this week, I ran with a strong runner and it made a huge difference for me. She gave me some tips, especially on how I hold my upper body and move my arms, and I did my best run since I quit running 25 years ago. She also helped me realize that I was doing some negative self-talk that was letting my head get in the way of my legs. I now believe I can be a runner. Heck,, I now believe I am a runner.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    /\/\/\/\/\
    What they all said above is great advice, plus...keep doing it. Book yourself into a race a few weeks after you're due to finish the programme so that you keep going out and running.
    My question is 'what do you define as successful?' Do you just want to do the programme, run a 5K, and then move on to something else? Or do you want to be a regular runner? Do you have other goals in mind like a 10K, a half marathon, or a marathon? Do you prefer road or trail running? Do you want to be a fast runner, a social runner, do you want to go a looooong way?
    But whatever you decide, make sure you enjoy it! :glasses:
  • LuckyCheryl
    LuckyCheryl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and am at the end of the C25k training program. Actually at week 8 I just started running until I got tired. Two days ago I ran for 48 minutes straight and then drove the route I ran, it was 3.6 miles. I RAN MY FIRST 5k in my own neighborhood. I ran a 16 min mile. My first 5k race is on Oct 6th and now I feel ready to do it. Good luck and just keep pushing though. YOU WILL MAKE IT!!
  • chayleah
    chayleah Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just did the dreaded week 5 day 3 where you run for 20 minutes (in the rain I might add). I didn't think i could do it, but I finished it & was so proud of myself. What got me through it... Good music - songs that I love to song along with, some positive self talk, and the desire to be able to tell my hubby what I had accomplished. When I wanted to stop and walk I did a little body check-in - do my legs, ankles, shins hurt - no, am I so out of breathe that I can't sing a few words of the song- no. Then I could keep going. The other thing I do is concentrate my gaze a few feet in front of me. If I look straight ahead I tend to think about how far I have to go.
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did week 3 run 2 this morning. I was dreading this week, having to run for *three whole minutes!* but once I found that I survived the first run of the week, I know I can do the others. I know later the runs get harder through the week, but hopefully I'll have found some self-belief by then!

For me the first run each week is the hardest mentally, not knowing until I try that I've truly got the stamina to make it through. I keep telling myself that plenty of other people in worse shape than me have managed, so I'll be ok too.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I believe week 7 was the most intimidating to me and, based on the forum I was part of then, was very intimidating to everyone. That first time of running without stopping scared me to death
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    When I started, I couldn't do week 1...had to do it twice. There was another week I had to do twice too. then I got to the day where you all of a sudden ( or so it seemed to me) had to go 2 miles, and I did it. After I finished the program one day I was running and decided to do 4 miles...no problem, then a week later I decided to do 5, no problem, then I decided to go for 6 miles....no problem.

I'm doing it again since I had surgery and couldn't do anyting for 6 weeks. got to the dreaded 2 miles on Monday...no problem, today I did 4 miles...

Previous to starting the first time I was not a runner....except for 33 years ago when I did (and failed) cross country in 8th grade.

You can do it!!!
  • runnergirlSEA
    runnergirlSEA Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I just did Week 4 Run 2, and mapped out an entire 3.1 mile route, and ended up doing an extra set of 3 and 5 minute run intervals at the end to complete the route, and felt fantastic! First time in this training where I felt like running a complete 5k is within my reach in the next month or two! Also I'm finding that running outside is turning out to be a great way to explore places I've never been in my neighborhood--5 minutes of running seems to go by so much faster when I'm looking around at a new adorable street or lake view I've discovered!