Has anyone read "The Twelve Steps of Overeaters Anonymous"?

I've admitted that I have a problem with overeating. I know that I've had this problem for a long time, and even though for the past 8 months I've been trying really hard to keep it under control it still comes back. I try to give myself excuses for overeating, but I'm so sick and tired of it. I weighed 137 and I'm at a plateau pretty much because I can't stop eating.

I just wanted to know how many people have read that book and have found success in it. I read the first three steps, and so far I'm not liking it because of the religious aspect of it. I'm not atheist, but the whole concept of trying to find strength in a higher power doesn't click with me. I believe we are responsible for ourselves. The book said that the higher power could be a person, but I don't really have anyone in my life that I can turn to for support on this. I think I need an anonymous support group, so that I can't take any comments/support personally.

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Replies

• I'm interested in seeing the responses, I had looked up the meetings in my area but don't really know how they work. Thanks for posting :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    I haven't read it and have never been an overeater, but I'm definitely interested in what the steps contain.

Also here to lend you support/give you mad props for not "turning it over to a higher power" and acknowledging we are responsible for ourselves. <3
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Having been in another 12 step group that was not centered on food, trust me it is not religious but more spiritual. Your HP could be a box. It's about admitting you can't control it, you are not in charge because your way wasn't working, and that you can't do it by yourself so you give it over to your HP (box, God, whatever) and your HP can even be the support group.. Its actually very freeing and does work. Definitely don't get hung up on the higher power deal. Hope that helps.
  • Maybe the higher power is inside of you? That's what I would believe.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    I am familiar with the 12 steps. I do use a "higher power" because it is the only way I have become successful at weight loss. For me I think of overeating as a sin. I pray the Lords prayer"give us this day our daily bread" and I add "and no more". Mentally by keeping track of my calories I know I have had enough to eat and will not starve no matter what my stomach or mind thinks it feels. I ask myself "do I really want to get well?" or do I want to believe the lies I have been telling myself as an excuse. Stand in the truth.
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    I think the higher power is what you think it is, and it is a religious aspect, like alcohol anonymous is. I joined over-eaters anon a LONG LONG time ago and could not get through one day! Maybe I will check out that book but I won't try too hard to find it. I think your idea of an anonymous support group is excellent. I'm sitting down here now wondering why I had to have dinner all over again. But whatever you decide to do, the most important thing is to always be happy and love YOU.
  • LilJenn510
    LilJenn510 Posts: 14 Member
    I think the bottom line is that it is a sugar addiction.. If you eliminate the sugar/starch carbs from your diet you won't feel so out of control! It takes a couple days to "detox", but once you do you will feel in control again. I too have battled with food addiction my whole life! The only time I feel like I am winning is when I do low carb (Protein & vegetables). Good luck! Feel free to add me for support!
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    "The Twelve Steps" are not religous, they are spiritual. No one is telling you who God is, just that there has to be a power greater than yourself to keep you from overeating. These twelve principles have saved my life from alcohol. I didn't like the "Religous" part of it either, but once you understand "A God of your understanding" (i.e. islam, buddha, your support group) that can restore you to sanity. I knew my life was insane and that my thinking was insane.... so I needed something to help me to keep my sanity.
    The principles are Give up control, Clean house, and be good to God's kids... It sounded like a lot to me at first, but today I have been sober for 5.5 years and my life is pretty good...
    Good luck with finding something that works,
  • ChDotyMom
    ChDotyMom Posts: 1 Member
    :smile: Quill16, Thank you. I am encouraged by your comments. This has obviously worked for you. I will keep working toward my goal.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    If I told you,

I wouldn't be anonymous.
  • kvalmera
    kvalmera Posts: 129 Member
    I checked it out cause I was interested in knowing the "steps" so here they are.....

Steps 1 and 2
    The first step of the Overeaters Anonymous program entails admitting that there's a problem. The second step is acknowledging a higher power in which to entrust recovery.

Steps 3 and 4
    The third step in Overeaters Anonymous is resolving to put yourself in the hands of your higher power. Step four is an honest evaluation of your life and where your food addiction has taken it.

Steps 7 and 8
    The seventh step of the Overeaters Anonymous program is to explicitly ask your higher power to cleanse your character. Step eight entails creating a list of all those who have been wronged in the course of feeding your addiction.

Steps 9 and 10
    The ninth Overeaters Anonymous step is to make amends to the people on the list from the eighth step. Step 10 involves being mindful of future wrongs on an ongoing basis and admitting to them and making amends.

Steps 11 and 12
    The Overeaters Anonymous program's 11th step calls for meditation and prayer to your higher power for strength and supervision. Step 12, intended to take place when significant strides toward recovery have been accomplished, is to share the program's messages with others in need and help them in their recovery.

On a personal note, I am not sure I have "wronged" people in my food addiction. I have wronged myself in that addiction plenty enough I wouldn't have to wrong anyone else.. what would that be anyway, stealing someone else's food? Lying and saying you are hungry when you aren't? This one would lose me....
  • schaefone
    schaefone Posts: 1 Member
    I very successfully worked through the OA 12 step program. I found comfort in a Higher Power because i wasn't doing all that well on my own. As soon as I gave over food to the direction of a Higher Power, I experienced a freedom that I no longer had to be in charge. I didn't give in, I didn't give up, I just gave over. It didn't make me a lesser person, I still had to make the ultimate decisions, but I had someone else (my Higher Power) to talk over the decision with. Maybe it just bought me some extra time that took the obscessive complusiveness urgency out of overeating. Actually I don't care what made it work, it just worked. My Higher Power was the God I had learned to love as a child, but had turned my back on when He failed to perform according to my expectations. Rediscovering His Higher Power provided me the guidance. Many in my OA group found other sources for their Higher Powers and that worked for them. It is just surrendering to something bigger than myself that has a bigger plan (like running the rest of the universe). Don't let the religiosity stand in your way, but don't be afraid of embracing it if you feel so led.
  • mikeschratz
    I checked it out cause I was interested in knowing the "steps" so here they are.....

Steps 1 and 2
    The first step of the Overeaters Anonymous program entails admitting that there's a problem. The second step is acknowledging a higher power in which to entrust recovery.

Steps 3 and 4
    The third step in Overeaters Anonymous is resolving to put yourself in the hands of your higher power. Step four is an honest evaluation of your life and where your food addiction has taken it.

Steps 7 and 8
    The seventh step of the Overeaters Anonymous program is to explicitly ask your higher power to cleanse your character. Step eight entails creating a list of all those who have been wronged in the course of feeding your addiction.

Steps 9 and 10
    The ninth Overeaters Anonymous step is to make amends to the people on the list from the eighth step. Step 10 involves being mindful of future wrongs on an ongoing basis and admitting to them and making amends.

Steps 11 and 12
    The Overeaters Anonymous program's 11th step calls for meditation and prayer to your higher power for strength and supervision. Step 12, intended to take place when significant strides toward recovery have been accomplished, is to share the program's messages with others in need and help them in their recovery.

On a personal note, I am not sure I have "wronged" people in my food addiction. I have wronged myself in that addiction plenty enough I wouldn't have to wrong anyone else.. what would that be anyway, stealing someone else's food? Lying and saying you are hungry when you aren't? This one would lose me....

After the first step, this has nothing to do with food. It is about cleaning up your past (Harm done others), making amends for the wrongs done others and then living a life where you take care of God's Kids...... i.e. being nice to others and treating them kind.
  • kvalmera
    kvalmera Posts: 129 Member
    Well, I am nice to everyone, almost to fault. I just haven't always been as nice to myself.....lol
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member

Steps 1 and 2

Steps 3 and 4

Steps 7 and 8

Steps 9 and 10

Steps 11 and 12

Hello,

I have read the steps and have attended meetings. Regarding the wronging part, one idea that I have is about lying to significant others about my eating habits. This can hurt the relationship. Also, spending money on food in excess when that money should go to something else for the family, that could also pertain to this topic. Thanks!
  • mikeschratz
    Well, I am nice to everyone, almost to fault. I just haven't always been as nice to myself.....lol

And man do I know how that is... I spent over 15 years taking it out on me.... and it has taken quite a bit of time to get myself back...
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    I've admitted that I have a problem with overeating. I know that I've had this problem for a long time, and even though for the past 8 months I've been trying really hard to keep it under control it still comes back. I try to give myself excuses for overeating, but I'm so sick and tired of it. I weighed 137 and I'm at a plateau pretty much because I can't stop eating.

I just wanted to know how many people have read that book and have found success in it. I read the first three steps, and so far I'm not liking it because of the religious aspect of it. I'm not atheist, but the whole concept of trying to find strength in a higher power doesn't click with me. I believe we are responsible for ourselves. The book said that the higher power could be a person, but I don't really have anyone in my life that I can turn to for support on this. I think I need an anonymous support group, so that I can't take any comments/support personally.

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

OA originated from AA., Alcoholic Anonymous.
    The founders of AA...Bil Wilson, DID base a lot of the text from a Judeo-Christian perspective--no doubt. They freely reference and paraphrase the Bible! The St Francis of Assisi prayer is in there. And all other 12 steps groups adapt their material from AA so that perspective transfers as well.

That said,12 Step programs---OA, as well, is inclusive of all practices including atheism and agnosticism.
    OA, by the way also has phone meetings!

www.oa.org/pdfs/phone_mtgs.pdf

Hope this helps
  • Just to clarify:

Yeah, I get that it's aimed towards people of all faiths. I get that.
    What I did not get is how you can just pass the trouble on to something else, especially a higher being, because I'm a firm believer in that we are responsible for ourselves.
    However, someone messaged me, and it clicked. The addiction is not my fault, so I cannot do anything about it. I cannot, CANNOT, do anything about my obsession/addiction with food. I'm NOT responsible for my addiction because it is not my fault. So I have to let someone/something else take care of it. I feel much better now, surprisingly. :)

Thank you all for your comments on the religious/spiritual issue :)
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member

Steps 1 and 2

Steps 3 and 4

Steps 7 and 8

Steps 9 and 10

Steps 11 and 12

People could have let down others by being an over eater, if you are unhealthy it effects your family, and friends. If you over eat and can no longer play with your kids that's doing them wrong and it is unfair.
  • MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    Here's the thing though, I don't acknowledge a higher power than myself. I acknowledge equal powers to myself, namely other people.

I don't believe in god or anything bigger out there. I genuinely believe that it's just us. If I'm going to make a change in my life, it has to come from me. While my actions effect others and the world, I have a responsibility to be accountable to myself first because I am the only person who can change my behvaior.