Help!! Broken tooth, possible infection. What to eat?

Options
Help!! Broken tooth, possible infection. The first appointment available at the dentist isn't until 23 of October( first opening). Tried eating a banana for my lunch...ended up almost in tears. So far can't eat as anything too hot, cold or sweet. I'm practically ODing on clove oil and oragel. So fellow dieters, help?

Replies

• jheilala63
    Options
    Stay away from GARLIC! IT WILL BURN!
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Will the dentist call you in an antibiotic to help deal with the infection in the meantime? A month out for an appointment for something like that is insane.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You need to get a new dentist right away. If you truly have a broken, infected tooth you could easily be septic and dead by then. I'm not being an alarmist but this is a very serious problem.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/insurance-24-year-dies-toothache/story?id=14438171#.UGUMCk3A9Wg
  • Havend1
    Havend1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You should try finding another dentist that will get you in ASAP. An emergency should be seen quick not given an appt. If there is an infection you need antibiotics. If there is swelling present then more than likely an infection is present. Unfortunately no home remedies will help. As far as foods, you may have to stay on a liquid diet.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    New dentist, definitely! Any dentist who won't see you for an emergency sooner than a month away is NOT worth going to!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Will the dentist call you in an antibiotic to help deal with the infection in the meantime? A month out for an appointment for something like that is insane.
    Totally.
    And I was going say, tea tree oil on a q-tip right on that spot? Garlic oil?
    Yes, I'm that kind of gal.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You need to get a new dentist right away. If you truly have a broken, infected tooth you could easily be septic and dead by then. I'm not being an alarmist but this is a very serious problem.

^^ i agree.

to me this seems like an emergency-its not like this is just another checkup. Ive have the same issues however it happened when I was in high school. I had two ...yes, two, teeth that broke wide open ...one on each side of my mouth! every time I chewed anything I had to guide it along the teeth that weren't broken and if I missed and it went into my tooth..holy crap on a cracker I would just about cry every time. I just had to eat around it...thankfully, I had a dentist that could fit me in, in such an emergency .
  • katerinajulia
    katerinajulia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same position, actually...
    smooth, soft, but not completely liquid. and try to keep it away from that area.
    i've been eating mashed potatoes, BABY FOOD, and smoothies.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    I echo tea tree oil & garlic oil - both are good for fighting infections. Good luck!
  • juliezum
    juliezum Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm a dental hygienist and your situation is what we call "emergency appointments"...we see them ASAP. I agree with the other posters....get in somewhere else, to get out of pain. The last thing you want is to wake up with your cheek swelled up like a chipmunk, and feeling worse than you already do.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    go to cvs get either dental wax or repair kit for lost filling. cover broken piece with wax or repair enamel. Will not fix tooth, but will keep air off nerve causing pain. I would call the dentist tell them what is going on they should work you in sooner.
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Try some peroxide on a Q tip, help draw some of the infection out.
    Even try going to a reg. Doc and get on some antibiotics.

Heck...sweet talk a vet, or take a quick trip to mexico! Pain is no good!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    mashed potatos
    pancakes
    tepid soup
    scrambled eggs
    oatmeal
    pudding

But most importantly get a new dentist. Just call every dentist in town until someone gives you an appointment tomorrow. You should not accept untimely care for an emergency like this.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    a diet high in antibiotics.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    New dentist, definitely! Any dentist who won't see you for an emergency sooner than a month away is NOT worth going to!

This! My brother-in-law had this happen, had to wait for an appointment, the infection went septic and he ended up in the ICU for days. He almost died and had a horrendous bill from the hospital. Don't wait for treatment! :noway:
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    Get a new dentist, a month wait for en emergency is BS.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    go to cvs get either dental wax or repair kit for lost filling. cover broken piece with wax or repair enamel. Will not fix tooth, but will keep air off nerve causing pain. I would call the dentist tell them what is going on they should work you in sooner.

I have to say no to this if there is an infection. I went to an emergency dentist who worked on a dying root and then put a temporary filling in until I could get to my dentist. I saw him Friday night and my own dentist on Monday. By Monday the infection below the filling was so bad that the filling almost exploded when my dentist removed it. I was purely because he was so patient that I didn't lose the tooth entirely. He worked extra hard removing all the infection and put me on an antibiotic for a few days before a permanent filling could be put down safely. Putting something into a hole that is already infected is NOT a good idea.
  • Pualana
    Options
    Unfortunately my employer changed provider and the new medical benefits don't kick in until October 1 st. So I'm stuck trying to solve this on my own until then..
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    If infection is the main cause of a sore tooth, the most simple and effective home remedy is to gargle with salt water. The salt draws out water from the pathogens and dehydrates them. So, salt can be effectively used for killing bacteria and other germs. In addition, gargling with saline water helps in easy cleaning of the teeth.

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sore-tooth-remedy-recipe-for-salt-water-gargle.html
  • babysteps2skinny
    babysteps2skinny Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Kitchari! It is like an Indian Chilli, but made only with Rice and Split Yellow Beans. A lot of people have it when they are doing a cleanse, but I make it when I need something light and easy to eat. You cook the rice and beans for so long, that they kind of get mushy and very easy to swallow. You will find different variations on line, but I just heat up a tablespoon of oil, add 1/2 a chopped onion. When it turns light golden, add a few cloves, a 1/4 tsp of turmeric, 1/2 tsp white cumin seeds, a cinnamon stick and a little bit of ginger and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a 1/2 a cup of split yellow beans and a cup of rice. Now add 3 cups of water. Let it come to a boil and then reduce the heat to a low heat, cover and let it cook for about 25 to 30 minutes or till you see that it has cooked in to a soft mushy texture. By mixing it you will get the mushy texture.
    I eat it with a serving of yogurt (I actually mix the yogurt in, but my hubby finds that really weird). I find Kitchari warm and filling. :)

In my family, this is made a lot when one of us is not well or has a tooth ache, so I hope it helps you too. :) I eat it when ever I crave it!

Hope you get the tooth fixed soon and feel better. :)