Break Down the Noob! Fun!

Options
Hiya! I'm new to this weight loss thang, and want to do it right. Want to have some fun? Check out my exercise/diet diary and tell me all the things I am doing wrong, can do more of, can do less of, etc. I have tough skin, I promise. My goals are to lose 85 or so lbs, get shapely in the girly areas (butt, hips, thighs), and overall improve my diet. Any advice, whether positive or negative, will help, so lay it on meh! :P

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Open the diary, mamalyn
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    You have your diary set to private. You need to make it public.

The grinning baby in your profile photo is about the cutest thing I've seen all day!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    New at it and you've lost 30 pounds??? I think it looks like you've been doing fantastic! =] keep up the great work!
  • Mama_Lyn
    Mama_Lyn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Aww thanks @nz_deevaa and deadstarsunbu!

I lost the 30 by having a kid and breastfeeding, and light walking during my 6 weeks. I'm currently 7 weeks postpartum.

Edit: Diary is open now!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, *especially* if you're still breast feeding.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Looks like your doing great but I do have a few suggestions that helped me speed up my weightloss.

Stop eating Cheese and Butter. Instead use olive oil. Won't lower the calories but gives you a much better type of fat that actually helps to burn off your body fat.

also lose the cookie and replace with apple or berries. Much healthier and much more nutritious.

All the best!
  • Mama_Lyn
    Options
    You need to eat more, *especially* if you're still breast feeding.

I'm not. He broke my nips (read: cracked, bleeding, ridiculously sore) being tongue tied, and I'm not pumping. Been a dairy cow before for months, not fun.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    I agree, you should be eating more. You have a beautiful baby to feed.

I'm not am expert, but it's my understanding that you need at least 500cals a day EXTRA for breast feeding, plus you aren't eating back your exercise calories.

edited to add: Oh I see you aren't breastfeeding now? I'd still recommend that you eat back your exercise calories.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Looks like your goal calories are only 1260. I would Manually add 300-500 more calories to that so long as you are breast feeding. Talk to your Doctor to see for sure, but I believe 300 is the number.

Edit: More replies posted while I Was typing. =/ Definitely eat back your exercise calories. MFP was designed with a deficit built in. Eating back those exercise calories is just so you can fuel the exercise that you are doing. I recommend at least half, if not all of them, so you know you are getting adequate nutrition.
  • Mama_Lyn
    Options
    Alrighty! I can manage eating more. I just fear that in an effort to eat more I'll eat the wrong thing, as evidenced by the 3 cookies. :/

Any advice on what to eat, and when? Should I do 2 snacks at like 300 calories total to get enough? Also, the length and intensity of my workouts are not set in stone and vary day to day. Right now I do 1 hour at 4:30am, and another (if I can manage) around 7pm, but I have 2 kids under 4, work from home for 50 hours and go to school online full-time... so yea, not guaranteed. If I add more calories and fail to work out 1.5-2 hours a day, will I sabotage myself?
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    You DO NOT need to work out for more than an hour a day.

if you work out for 1hr a day and eat back your exercise calories, you'll do just fine. You will not sabotage yourself.

In regards to what to eat and eating times... these are personal preferences. Eating time has no effect on weight loss. Don't believe anyone who tells you different (and they will).

Lean protein, fruit, veges, healthy fats (nuts, avocado), carbs, I eat them all.

I lift heavy because I like lifting and I know I'm going to like how my body looks afterwards. I recommend it. You don't have to though.

It looks you have a very full life, I would absolutely recommend eating more than 1200 a day even after your exercise calories.
  • Mama_Lyn
    Options

if you work out for 1hr a day and eat back your exercise calories, you'll do just fine. You will not sabotage yourself.

In regards to what to eat and eating times... these are personal preferences. Eating time has no effect on weight loss. Don't believe anyone who tells you different (and they will).

Lean protein, fruit, veges, healthy fats (nuts, avocado), carbs, I eat them all.

I lift heavy because I like lifting and I know I'm going to like how my body looks afterwards. I recommend it. You don't have to though.

It looks you have a very full life, I would absolutely recommend eating more than 1200 a day even after your exercise calories.

Thanks for your advice! Question- is working out more than an hour bad for you? I haven't been getting muscle fatigue, and I am sure to work all major muscle groups when I lift (I love lifting and resistance training, too) between the two workouts.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice! Question- is working out more than an hour bad for you? I haven't been getting muscle fatigue, and I am sure to work all major muscle groups when I lift (I love lifting and resistance training, too) between the two workouts.

No, it's not bad for you. I workout for 90 minutes (or more) a day - 30 cardio 60 weights and sometimes I'll add a little extra something in the afternoon.

As long as you're not working all muscles every day you should be fine.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Your diet looks pretty healthy, but I suggesting upping your calories just a bit. I know it's great to lose quickly, but eating too little could lead to burnout and binging and/or giving up. Eat at a level that keeps you happy and satisfied and gives enough calories to fuel your exercise and lifestyle. Some days are a little shy on vegetables but you are doing well.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

No it's not bad for you, but if you are struggling to find the time, you don't need too.