are weights worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Actually unsound, that is exactly what I was looking for. Money is very tight and if I can get similar results without spending money that would be great. I will def look into this book as part of my research.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My question is, would a regular weight bench with curl pad and leg attachment, the kind that can only support a max of 100 pounds, get me that much further than dumbells and bands?
    Probably not. The bench won't allow you to do much... bench press (which you can do with pushups), curls (which you can do with bands/dumbbells), leg extensions (which you can do with squats... and squats would actually be a far better movement). I'd spend that money on more dumbbells personally. With a little creativity and the right dumbbells, you can get in a killer workout.

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I started with Ross Enamait's Never Gymless, moved to dumbbells, and now hang around the gym because I like it there. Definitely made progress with all three options and there's still plenty of stuff in NG I can't do (one-armed pullup?)

For what it's worth, it is yard-sale season, so if you've got some time on the weekends it's worth looking around for cheap weights. (late Feb-March is great for Craigslist, because that's when people acknowledge that they've given up on all their New Year's resolutions.)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'd go with a program like YAYOG. The phone app is a couple bucks, and most the stuff you can do at home without buying anything.