Healthy pumpkin pie?

Options

Replies

• Biodemon
    Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie is actually one of the healthiest pies you could possibly eat. Don't torture yourself with "diet" versions of a pumpkin pie recipe. Just eat your one serving size slice of pie, enjoy it, log it and counter the extra calories with exercise or lower calorie choices the rest of the day (or both).
    That would be a hassle for me. I can control my sugar cravings and say no but pumpkin pie...It's like a drug for me. One bite and I need more. Hehehe. ^__^;
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    will someone please tell me what "Bump" means?

Bring Up My Post ..... it's really just a way to "mark" the thread ... to be read later .... or to bring this topic "up" to the top of the list.
  • Biodemon
    Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    will someone please tell me what "Bump" means?
    Bump is a way to "bump" up the thread to the top of the list in the forums. Or people just bump it to look into it later.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    For Crust:
    I use almond meal flour, raw almond butter and egg whites. Mix it to a consistancy that will smash into the pan.

Libby Recipe:
    **Substitute stevia for sugar (use LOTS less stevia. I usually use around 6 packets per pie.)
    **Only use egg whites (just add an egg to have the right amount)
    **Use fat free evaporated milk

Thank you! I'm going to try out this one tonight since I already have the ingredients.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    it counts as a vegtable... right??

Since pumpkin is mostly water, it counts as water and is therefore calorie and nutrient free.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yummy ideas here! I didn't read all of the comments yet, so maybe someone already shared this. But, here is another recipe from Eat, Lift and be Happy: http://www.negharfonooni.com/2012/07/pumpkin-pie.html

Oh, I just realized the crust is made from almond flour, so a different crust will be needed for people that have tree nut allergies.
  • jodieandris
    Options
    bump
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I do a crustless pie, use fat free cool whip and portion control. The crust is so high in cals. Plus if you use can milk like most recipes call for you can use fat free can milk.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie is actually one of the healthiest pies you could possibly eat. Don't torture yourself with "diet" versions of a pumpkin pie recipe. Just eat your one serving size slice of pie, enjoy it, log it and counter the extra calories with exercise or lower calorie choices the rest of the day (or both).

THIS!!! Make it, eat it, enjoy it. It's a wonderful creation and the nectar of the gods! It must be savored in it's wholeness and entirety without guilt or prejudice. If more people would embrace the pumpkin pie, there would be world peace.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the "pie" part of it, but I saw a recipe on here from someone else and tried it out last night and it was completely amazing. It has fat free cool whip, pumpkin puree, and sugar free pudding mix. All mixed together and it turns into pumpkin-y goodness. YUM.
    It was for pumpkin cheesecake (or mousse). Use sugar free/fat free pudding mix.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It is scientifically proven that pumpkin pie consumed on Thanksgiving is calorie neutral.....

Yea... I'm going with this...
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmberLeighD
    Options
    Something I read on the boards: Yoplait Pumpkin Pie Yogurt w/ Graham cracker crumbled in it... to satisfy the craving. I plan on buying this Sunday..it's on my grocery list. :)
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Read later!
  • jsenecal12
    Options
    Oh, bump for sure. Need this for ideas once I'm home for Thanksgiving.
  • sandygaylegunn
    sandygaylegunn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Skinny Taste has a whole section on pumpkin recipes. Yum! :drinker:

"...Pumpkin season's back which prompted me to create a Pinterest board called Pumpkin Madness for all my pumpkin recipes. If you're pumpkin obsessed, you'll want to follow this board! I also have them all in the recipe index, which you can see here...."

Here is just one of their many pumpkin recipes:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/skinny-pumpkin-overnight-oats-in-jar.html

I have put together some amazing and varied pumpkin custards/puddings, with varying amounts of the following basic ingredients: Pumpkin puree, egg whites, drained canned, crushed pineapple and pumpkin pie spices. I calculate the calories, etc., when I use the measured ingredients. Many other ingredients can be added, such as fat free Cool Whip, and sugar-free, fat free pudding mixes.

Bon Appetite and HUGS!!! xoxo
  • p0tt3rgl33k
    p0tt3rgl33k Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    A box of spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin puree.
    Mix the two together (it will be very very thick) and bake in a
    12-muffin tin at 350 for 20-30 minutes
    It makes awesome moist dense muffins and with only two ingredients.
    it’s the easiest thing ever. No eggs, no oil, no milk. . . awesome.

(And I calculated it on MFP, and it was only 175 per serving.... Perfect for an on the go breakfast! )
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    this pudding tastes just like the pumpkin pie filling: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/news-and-recipes-420230