To log calories from alcohol or to not?

Options

Replies

• missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to add you now, This is amazing logic!!!

Enjoy!! I'm still confused as to what I can drink that isn't going to kill all the eating right! Whiskey straight? Looks like a winner to me :wink:
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Good we can keep each other accountable! And share good booze stories haha.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Most mid-to-heavy drinkers probably get most of their calories from booze! Of course you log it.

Just log it after you sober up, or do it in advance. If you're never sober, you have bigger problems than calorie counting :drinker:
  • missmacsays
    Options
    of course!

it's easier for me because i don't drink mixed drinks. i stick to beer and shots, which is a lot easier to calculate than mixed drinks.

WAYYY easier. I do too, but I still get a hearty amount of cals on an average night out.
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Seriously? Most mid-to-heavy drinkers probably get most of their calories from booze! Of course you log it.

Just log it after you sober up, or do it in advance. If you're never sober, you have bigger problems than calorie counting :drinker:

No bigger problems to report at this current time! Lol.
  • Chrysopteron
    Chrysopteron Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmhhhh - only been seriously committed since Monday night... There's a whole new area of problems, now Friday night is near, apparently!
    Thanks for drawing my attention to that. I'll definitely go on a bender tonight (off to Berlin in a couple of hours and tomorrow I'll babysit, so I won't be going out till late...) with one of my best mates, that usually involves quite a few drinks and the point when I'm not exactly sure anymore how many I have to pay for...

My resolution: Take a piece of string and a pen along - I have an old shoelace in two colours, so I'll try this: black end means a small beer (0,33l) and white end is a glass of wine/bubbly (0,2l). If there happen to be shots/longdrinks/cocktails, I'll force my boyfriend to write that down on my shoulder or hip or somewhere else you can't see. Then count in the morning and log the calories. BEFORE hangover breakfast, so I'll know how much damage I've done and how many scrambled eggs and rashers of bacon I can stuff my face with. I'm afraid already. ; )

Well, shall I let you know if that is a handy procedure? Sounds like a winner to me! : )

Or any better suggestions from fellow party-addicts?
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmhhhh - only been seriously committed since Monday night... There's a whole new area of problems, now Friday night is near, apparently!
    Thanks for drawing my attention to that. I'll definitely go on a bender tonight (off to Berlin in a couple of hours and tomorrow I'll babysit, so I won't be going out till late...) with one of my best mates, that usually involves quite a few drinks and the point when I'm not exactly sure anymore how many I have to pay for...

My resolution: Take a piece of string and a pen along - I have an old shoelace in two colours, so I'll try this: black end means a small beer (0,33l) and white end is a glass of wine/bubbly (0,2l). If there happen to be shots/longdrinks/cocktails, I'll force my boyfriend to write that down on my shoulder or hip or somewhere else you can't see. Then count in the morning and log the calories. BEFORE hangover breakfast, so I'll know how much damage I've done and how many scrambled eggs and rashers of bacon I can stuff my face with. I'm afraid already. ; )

Well, shall I let you know if that is a handy procedure? Sounds like a winner to me! : )

Or any better suggestions from fellow party-addicts?

Haha, I love this. I bet it'd be an interesting evening if you actually tried it. The logging of calories before you go out seems logical. I'm a fickle lady though, so I might think I'm going to enjoy a few beers when in reality, I want a few shots or mixed drinks. I just can't quite decide. Either way, I'll definitely make sure I work out and burn something today. My biggest mistake when I go out and drink? Eating junk food when drunk. Damn you Taco Bell for sounding appealing only when intoxicated.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i do; drinks are sneaky and are much more calorific than one would think! loggng helps me control myself ^^
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is terrifyingly calorific and it's very educational once you start tracking it. There is a scientifically-supported suggestion that because alcohol has a high thermic effect of food (TEF) fewer calories are available to the body, but that's not a significant proportion.

I recommend only having booze treats out of exercise calories, that way you've got the macro nutrition you need out of your food first.
  • Chrysopteron
    Options
    Well, there's another thing I hadn't thought about yet.
    Before I got serious about losing weight, a few months ago when I half-heartedly entertained the idea that maybe if I watched it a bit, it would all just go away... anyways then, I invented my own "diet" which sounds like your thing:

- light (colourwise) things don't make you as fat as dark things (so white chocolate is okay - my favourite anyways)
    - see-through things don't have any calories (so vodka's fine), because water doesn't, so why should other see-through stuff?
    - Things you don't remember eating in the morning don't have any calories. Cause it's not fair, if you don't remember it you can't make up for it and where does that leave you with all the kebaps and cheesy chips and things???

; )
  • yoyogirl68
    Options
    As I take a sip of my wine, I say log it.
    Then you can look back at your week and compare loss with alcohol intake
    Also, it makes it real. You have to be real with yourself if you want results.
    I am planning to give up alcohol for 8 weeks, and you know what, it's no big deal...
    And - it might just help me get to my goal faster! Good luck!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is very high calorie. You should log it if you want to be accurate and lose weight.
  • bigblond
    bigblond Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with that. I'm confused about the calories in alcohol. Beer is easy to track, but drinks are harder.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am in maintenance, and I log everything, including alcohol. I don't know why you wouldn't log it.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Yes. End of. At least 500 calories in a bottle of wine and waaaaaay too many in beer. If you bite it, write it, same goes for drinks :drinker:
  • missmacsays
    Options
    Well, there's another thing I hadn't thought about yet.
    Before I got serious about losing weight, a few months ago when I half-heartedly entertained the idea that maybe if I watched it a bit, it would all just go away... anyways then, I invented my own "diet" which sounds like your thing:

- light (colourwise) things don't make you as fat as dark things (so white chocolate is okay - my favourite anyways)
    - see-through things don't have any calories (so vodka's fine), because water doesn't, so why should other see-through stuff?
    - Things you don't remember eating in the morning don't have any calories. Cause it's not fair, if you don't remember it you can't make up for it and where does that leave you with all the kebaps and cheesy chips and things???

; )

How I wish that "diet" of yours would really work!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I agree with that. I'm confused about the calories in alcohol. Beer is easy to track, but drinks are harder.

Seems best to stick with beer. Or straight liquor. I can live with that I suppose.
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The phrase"beer belly" didn't arise for no reason. Alcohol is a source of completely empty calories, if you don't log it you are just fooling yourself!
  • missmacsays
    Options
    I guess my OP made it seem as though I don't log them or don't think I should. That's not correct. I have been logging mine, but I've seen and heard things on here of other people saying it's okay to not if you only drink a small amount or it's okay if you only do it once a day on a "cheat day". I was just curious what everyone's opinions on that were.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You're kidding yourself if you think alcohol doesn't count towards calories. good luck with that and your weight loss goals.
  • Chrysopteron
    Options
    I think we need a weekend drunks thread! and we can drink together while we log our Cals

That only seems appropriate. I'll drink to that :drinker: :laugh:

You took the words right out of my mouth :drinker:

Oh thank goodness. I know a lot of people really commit to changing their lifestyle and that includes not drinking, but I'm still young. I'm not going to quit drinking completely at this point in my life. I'm just trying to get myself healthy and still be able to enjoy my booze! I just want to learn to enjoy it and not undo everything I've worked hard to do.

Agree. Agree. Agree.

Disagree: Why does changing my lifestyle involve giving up booze? People, I quit smoking. Now I have to quit being lazy and eating all I want in order to deal with the meaty consequences of quitting smoking. And I apparently ought to try and drink in a calory-friendly way. Okay, okay, I'll do it. But you know what? I hardly ever drink soft drinks, for me it's always been water, sometimes with about 1/5 to 1/4 fruit juice mixed in. I WILL NOT consider completely going tee-total. Once a year for a month is plenty, thanks very much. Anybody wanna buy me a drink? ; )

(Actually, over here it's 12.30 p.m. - maybe that is a bit early to start the weekend...)