Leg Cramps! Help.

Options
2»

Replies

• mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When I was in basic combat training, they use to force us to eat the bananas....now I know why--leg cramps. It really is the only thing that I have found that stops them! I know, I know, I hate eating bananas too, but it's the only thing that really works!
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Too little or too much sodium can cause it, also not drinking enough fluids.

Hope your leg gets better soon!
    x
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I used to get these even before I started working out when I was really sedentary, so it may not be related to being on the elliptical/treadmill etc. necessarily.

I've heard bananas for potassium and extra water as well--but I've also heard that leg cramps tend to occur more frequently with age. I also have a friend who used to get them and was recommended to increase her magnesium by her doctor and she said it worked for her.
  • bermudamel
    Options
    Have a banana, drink lots of water and stretch...really the best things you can do!
  • 05HeatherLouise05
    05HeatherLouise05 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I drink LOT of water!! Wonder if I'm drinking too much water - and its washing away some of the good things that my body needs. But I'll definitely try some of the suggestions! :)

Drinking too much water causes "Water Poisoning" which means you pretty much Flush most of the Salt from your system, one of the first symptoms can be leg cramps. It can ultimately result in death in extreme cases.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I hate bananas. I, too, am highly-susceptible to leg and foot cramps (whether i'm active or not). They definitely come much less frequently when I take my multi-vitamin (has potassium and magnesium), along with another potassium supplement. I also try to eat potassium-rich foods; kale-stuffed mushrooms are good, as are many other fruits & veggies. They're not enough (for me) on their own, but on top of the supplements, I go several weeks between cramps now.
  • vivibee
    Options
    When I get cramp in my calf muscles it is usually because I am in need of salt. I know we are told not to eat too much salt but we do need salt. Vivienne
  • RosieHeartSong
    Options
    A teaspoon of mustard works instantly for me every time! No joke! I learned about this several years ago from "The People's Pharmacy." Good luck!:smile:
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon of mustard works instantly for me every time! No joke! I learned about this several years ago from "The People's Pharmacy." Good luck!:smile:

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2008/02/04/yellow-mustard-1/

we learn something new everyday!. (I did)....awesome suggestion :)