A lot of people are starting a 40 day fast today.

Options
A lot of people are starting a 40 day fast today.

I'm not completely committed to the type of fast I'll do. Definitely will keep up nutritional supplements. Maybe a serving of juice or broth per day.

Replies

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    What's the point?
  • lajuice7
    lajuice7 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That sounds dangerous.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    No one I know is fasting.
  • JazzyLeeTheBee
    JazzyLeeTheBee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Some do it for spiritual reasons. Not my reason. I've done it before and only experienced health improvement and focus of mind. Removes fluff figuratively and literally. Probably is dangerous for some, but it's always been a positive for me.
  • JazzyLeeTheBee
    JazzyLeeTheBee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm not associated with these sites, but many are doing it like this

http://40daystosaveamerica.com/mission.html
    http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/rick-scarborough-organizing-40-days-prayer-fasting-save-america
    http://www.morningstarministries.org/other-events/40-day-fast
    http://www.thepropheticyears.com/wordpress/big-tent-dominionism-could-be-blowing-in-the-third-awakening-wind.html

Some of these positions I would put in the crazy camp. But to each his own. This is an important time regardless of beliefs religious or political. Time to focus.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Yes, because fasting teaches you a healthy lifestyle in the long run...
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I think I would die if I fasted for 40 days...:noway:
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    sounds nuts.
  • shellydd
    shellydd Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    a 40 day fast to save america?? ok
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Oh goody, I was hoping this had to do with that ridiculous movement. Yup, let's fast to keep people from having their rights! Hopefully natural selection will be at work.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I am doing my 40 days with no coffee. This might turn out to be a good thing since I do tend to replace breakfast (and sometimes lunch) with coffee!!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    A lot of people aren't very smart are they?
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    BTW the 40 days is not with holding food all together, just something important to you such as coffee, fast food ( in which I don't eat anyways). etc.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    We aren't Jesus....we can't survive a 40 day fast. Unless you are 300lbs to start with! A 40day liquid diet would be possible but fast I don't think so...
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    sounds nuts.

Yup.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Some of these positions I would put in the crazy camp.

You said it
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Muslims fast during Ramadan, but they do eat after dark and get nutritional needs met. However, not eating at all, except for a serving of juice or broth is definately dangerous. During WWII, even people imprisoned in concentration camps were allowed more than that. I really suggest, very strongly, that you consult your doctor before you begin a fast of that type.

Now, I do suggest you watch Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. Talk to your doctor about the type of fast the guy who made that movie did. He did a very well designed juice fast, which should meet nutritional needs, without damaging your body, and allow for spiritual reflection.

Stay healthy.
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    "40 day fast" - no one I know of is not going to be eating anything for the next 40 days - the definition of fast that I'm familiar with is "to abstain from ALL food". No one I know plans on surviving the next 40 days on just water.

Good luck with that, but not my cup of tea. And it's probably not healthy to skip eating for the next 40 days either, imho.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Oh goody, I was hoping this had to do with that ridiculous movement. Yup, let's fast to keep people from having their rights! Hopefully natural selection will be at work.

One can only hope!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    BTW the 40 days is not with holding food all together, just something important to you such as coffee, fast food ( in which I don't eat anyways). etc.

Oh, so Lent?
This discussion has been closed.