Nutrisystem

Arienna
Arienna Posts: 913
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Anyone ever try this? I'm considering it but wanted some opinions first!

Courtney

Replies

• TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    I have never done Nutrisystem. My personal reason is because if they give me the prepackaged meals then I'm not learning how to make the right choices in the real world. I look at Kirstie Alley and see what happened to her. If you feel like you need a program, I would do Weight Watchers. The only reason that I'm not is because I can't afford it. I need to be able to log my food like we do on here and WW online is expensive.
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    I'm not a fan personally - the main benefits I saw from nutrisystem is that you're meals are pre-packaged and so you know exactly what you're putting into your body before you eat, but it is seriously lacking the fruits and veggies that you need. Also I found that quite a few of the meals seemed to be quite tasteless and cardboardy.
    It costs about the same, if not a little less, to buy the weight watchers and other diet ready meals - add a couple of portions of low cal veg and your set. Plus they're actually a little more filling and varied than the nutrisystem options.

Just don't do what I did, lose all the weight, work really hard, and then reward myself with all the food I'd been craving, gradually putting all the weight straight back on!

This time around I'm using the ready meals, lots of soup and fresh veggies to stick to a mega low dailly calorie total - it does work.

Just my opinion hun but good luck with it x
  • I was reading an article through the WebMD magazine about a year ago that stated that the these types of prepared foods diets (Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, Slim Fast, etc) are effective if followed properly, however, there seems to be a large weight increase after completing the course due to the person not actually learning how to prepare healthy foods for themselves, the lack of being able to gauge the amount of calories that they are consuming and it does not promote weight loss through exercise. The weight increase forces the consumer to go back on the prepared food diet until they lose the weight again and it becomes a cycle where the consumer is reliant on the prepared foods to stay thin.

If you track calories, exercise and learn proper fitness and health techniques as you lose weight, I do not see why you wouldn't be successful.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Actually the more I look into the website the more I'm thinking it's not for me. I've been trying to avoid the processed foods and this would be doing the opposite! Not to mention it's $400/month lol.

I'll just stick with what I've been doing :)

Thanks guys!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    I've never tried nutrisystem but I have heard very bad things.

The meals all arrive pre-packaged and frozen (that means they're loaded with sodium and other preservatives)
    I've been told they taste awful for the most part. Plus it's expensive, you have to pay for the food from them, but you also still have to buy food at the grocery store, mainly fresh fruits and veggies, which are really the most expensive part of grocery shopping.

But I think the highest reason on my list not to do it is that you're really not going to learn anything from it. You're not going to learn to portion your own meals, or to plan healthy menus.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    I did it for about 2 months. It is expensive because you buy their foods and you still need to buy other things to get all of your calories for the day (fruits, vegetables, dairy, protein). What turned me off was how many artificial ingredients were listed. The food wasn't bad, but I felt uncomfortable eating all of those chemicals. The other thing is that I wasn't a fan of the soups they would offer for a lunch. I am a vegetarian so my options were a little more limited.

It works for some people, but not me.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    One other thing. The meals aren't frozen. They have various chemicals and packaged in a way that they can be stored in your cabinets.

You are still counting calories because they limit you to a certain amount a day which you have to write down. I felt that I could eat healthier and count calories without the pre-packaged meals.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    It's gross - don't do it. Learn how to eat healthy with real food. It's much better for you and much less expensive (and it works better since you can actually stick with it).
    The part of Nutrisystem they don't advertise is the 3 forms of exercise the program requires -- cardio, strength training, and yoga.
    Plus, the buying of all fresh fruits, vegetables, and dairy which add another huge grocery expense on top of the ridiculous cost of the Nutrisystem food itself.
  • lose100
    lose100 Posts: 54
    I am currently on Nutisystem and I love it! I lost 6 pounds the first week, and I think the food tastes great! Of course there are things I don't like, but that's going to happen. As for the sodium, they do seem high, but the three NS meals you eat a day are about the only source of sodium you are getting, as you add lots of fruits and veggies. Right now I am getting a free week with my shipments, and the stuff from the free week is stuff they pick, so that is where I am ending up with stuff I don't like. You really have to take what they are trying to teach you to heart. They are teaching portion control, which I feel may be hard to follow to the T when I am no longer on the program, but that is what I am learning now, and planning on taking with me. I actually have a full week of food I was going to sell on Ebay for $30.00, so if you would like to try it first before making any commitment, that may be the way to go. Send me a message if you are interested. The NS website is pretty great with lots of support, but I still log all of my foods here. Good luck with whatever you decide to to.
  • Hi ya....
    I've done Nutri System, and like someone else said, since it's pre-packaged, you're not learning how to proportion your food. I lost 20 pounds on the program and gained it all back within 6 months. Truely not worth the amount of money.. convience is great, after affects are not.
    I did weight-watchers (my way). I was able to get ahold of a points program sheet that tells you the point value of different foods with their measurements. I liked this much better. Lost the 20 pounds I gained on Nutri-System, and learned how to use food to my advantage. Food is my friend--not foe :huh:
    My advice to you.. learn about food portions and good veggies to "bad" veggies (the starchy ones). Also, watch the sodium in prepackaged foods.. holy cow :noway: it's amazing how much some items can have.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.