Disappointed Newbie!!

Options

Replies

• abbiepql
    Options
    Seriously - 1 lb.? You have been at this for a month? This is a forever thing, not a race - you don't have to jump ahead all the time and when you overstep or jump too high, sometimes you fall back when you land. If you are disappointed over a lb. after losing 9 in a month, you are setting youself up for some serious disppointment when you are only average a pound lost over a months time. Be realistic!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    , this week I put on a pound. I don't mind telling you I am devastated!

46 year old men do not get "devastated" when they gain a pound.

MAN UP DUDE!

REPRESENT!

For real, quit being a wimp.
  • Rosalie1963
    Options
    Don't get disgusted with yourself......let it go and chalk it up to body change. Keep going you are doing great.
  • lucy5599
    lucy5599 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It happens! And it doesn't feel good! Last week I gained 2.2 lbs. and was so unhappy, but I stuck with it and this week at weigh in I was down 3.4 lbs. So don't give up! You will succeed!!
  • jeannepp
    jeannepp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also your body gets used to what your doing. You need to shake it up every once in awhile. Don't give up!
  • MrMatt87
    Options
    If you were to weigh yourself daily it wouldn't be uncommon to see a loss and then a couple days of gains and then a larger loss, etc etc. As everyone else before me has said, we fluctuate and it can be up to a few pounds a day depending on sodium/water/etc.

Look at the long term trend and perhaps be concerned if you go a couple weeks with no drop and/or a slight increase.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    it will be ok
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    hmmm life holds many disappointments for us along the way, on the grand scheme of things a 1lb gain on the scales isn't really catastrophic. It could be down to so many things, it's not even worth worrying about, honestly.
  • rachellesings
    rachellesings Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The scale is a quixotic thing. Keep at it and you will see the loss in a week.
  • wisey11
    wisey11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone - you have all cheered me up! Feel embarrassed now!

Cannot believe how many responses I got - you are all great - thanks again.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Pffft... I could get on a scale 6 times in a day and have 6 different numbers appear on the scale. You can't look at one reading and take that as a measure of the overall progress of your entire diet.

You're doing great -- down almost 10 pounds!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    so in other words, you lost 8 pounds over three weeks!! thats awesome!!

you are going to have ups and downs. look back at you food diary and see if there is anything that could've brought your weight back up a little. too much beer on monday night football?? chinese food? not enough water?

and please keep in mind that your body works more on a week-to-week basis, rather than a day-to-day.
  • daloverlyme
    daloverlyme Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time! I can go to bed feeling good about what the scale says, and wake up and feel horrible because I've gained 4 pounds over night. It happens, and it makes me more motivated to work harder!
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As long as you are working the plan, the weight will eventually come back down. One day I was down 2 pounds and the next day it was back up 3 pounds and stayed there for 4-5 days before it dropped back off. I knew I was eating right and it had to eventually come back down and it did. Somewhere I read that the first month is always the easiest and then the second month is harder as your body is resisting the changes, and then in the third month you lose weight a little more easily again. I guess I'll find out, 'cause I'm just going to keep going with what has been working for me. Besides, you don't want to give up now and gain back the 9 pounds you are ahead - right? Better lost than gained forever.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    it all takes time and effort, you can do it!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It is normal

ALL TOO NORMAL!!! <pout>

I am a serial dietter. This time it will be different.

I lost 20 kilos in August - nothing since.

Hang in there. I think it is just my body trying to make me give up and feed it calories so it can replace those cherished reserves that I made it squander last month.

I have a theory that it takes at least a couple of weeks for my body to catch on to the fact that there isn't more coming from where those calories came from anymore and so it adapts and continues to "put a little away for later - just in case".

Some days I cut to way below 1000 calories and felt faint - but still it refused to let go(but my trousers fell down when I got out of the car this morning - I don't think anyone saw: so 'something' is changing despite the scales)

BLAME THE SCALES!!!

good luck
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options

MAN UP DUDE!

REPRESENT!
  • SocWkrBee
    Options

MAN UP DUDE!

REPRESENT!

For real, quit being a wimp.

You guys are mean, LOL! Sheesh!

Put it this way OP, Monday morning I stepped on the scale and it read 151. Today it read, 147. I clearly did not lose that much fat in those few days. As I have learned, the scale is a false friend. Step away...
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate 2lbs all the time. Its normal. Plus you can expect a loss every single week. your body needs to adjust.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, yes it is normal. I have been doing that over the last month. Lose 2-3lbs one week and gain 1lb a week. Good news is that your body catches up as long as you keep doing what you're supposed to. Keep your head up and keep plugging along!