Q&A session - live right now!

Options

Replies

• pocketmel
    Options
    How can I increase my calories without going over my carbs protein etc?
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    How can I increase my calories without going over my carbs protein etc?

Hmmm, not sure I understand.

Macronutrients provide our bodies energy, which we measure using calories.

1 gram of protein = 4 calories

1 gram of carb = 4 calories

1 gram of fat = 9 calories

1 gram of alcohol = 7 calories

You can't increase calories without also increasing nutrients. They go hand in hand.

Now if there are preset targets for the various macronutrients on MFP, then I wouldn't worry much about sticking with them. They're likely based on some flawed logic.

Here's how I look at things for most cases:

Shoot for 1 gram of protein per pound of goals weight, 30% of calories from fat, 2-3 servings of fruit per day, 3-6 servings of fibrous veggies per day. If there are still calories to "fill," you can eat whatever you want really to meet your calorie goal.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Is there any benefit to having a single day each week where you eat the less nutrient dense, healthy foods (Ie - cheat day) as opposed to having small quantities each day ? I have noticed many trainers seem to subscribe to the planned cheat meal/day and keep their diets very 'clean' the rest of the time and am wondering if that is just a personal choice or if there is any science behind only having the refined sugars etc on a single day ?

And I am speaking in terms of maintenance as opposed to weight loss in my case, since I am 5'10 and 126.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I'd like to start weight training but I've done it before and I always injure something and quit. Do you have a recommendation of how to START getting into shape for weight training?
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    I am limited as the the exercises I can do. I routinely ride a stationary bike, but keep hearing that doing the same exercises everyday is not good. Should I be taking off days in between? Or is it alright to ride everyday? I typically ride for about an hour a day.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Can you sucessfully lose weight doing only the elliptical machine?

O.o
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Is there any benefit to having a single day each week where you eat the less nutrient dense, healthy foods (Ie - cheat day) as opposed to having small quantities each day ? I have noticed many trainers seem to subscribe to the planned cheat meal/day and keep their diets very 'clean' the rest of the time and am wondering if that is just a personal choice or if there is any science behind only having the refined sugars etc on a single day ?

And I am speaking in terms of maintenance as opposed to weight loss in my case, since I am 5'10 and 126.

Nope. Research definitely isn't there yet. There are indicators, but nothing significant enough to say one way or the other. Here's my take. Structure your weekly meal plan how you see fit. And what's "fit" will vary from person to person. As long as you're hitting your calorie and macro targets each day and not making terrible food choices, things should be good.

That said, my personal strategy with my own nutrition and with many of my clients is to time most of my carb intake around strength training. I've found that there's a better partitioning effect (where calories are being stored) when you do this due to an increase in muscle tissue insulin sensitivity post strength training.

During this time, I'm much more liberal with food choices. I might plow down a few ice cream sandwiches, a bowl of cereal, and a protein shake post strength training and keep the carb intake high for the remainder of the evening after the workout.

On non training days, I'll back off the carb intake a big keeping it mostly to fruits and veggies... but I'm not rigid there.

That's what works for me and the majority of my clients psychologically and it makes a lot of sense in from a physiological perspective too.

That said, I have some clients who thrive on more or less rigidity.

So again, experiment and tailor to your own needs and mindset.
  • NewMeAT33
    Options
    Steve,
    I am 33 and 229 lbs. I lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks when I started MFP and then hired a trainer. Since then, we have been lifting weights twice a week and I am doing cardio 3-4 times a week.
    Since adding the lifting, I have not lost any weight and sometimes see a small gain which I know is from recovery. When does this even out and I start to lose weight again?

Am I doing too much? Up the lifting? Reduce the cardio?
    I am at 1300 calories and barley eating back the work out calories mainly bc Im not hungry.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'd like to start weight training but I've done it before and I always injure something and quit. Do you have a recommendation of how to START getting into shape for weight training?

Hmmm, an intro to weight training would take a lot of explaining. I've started and stopped a big article about the subject more times than I care to admit. I'm a terrible procrastinator when it comes to writing!

That said, the best I can say is be very conservative with loading. People tend to get overzealous and throw more weight onto their bodies than they're ready for. This tends to distort movement causing bad form, which, in itself, can instigate injury. It can also overload tissues (muscles, connective tissues, etc) beyond what they're ready for, which can also cause injury.

So start very light until you're sure that your movement competency is through the roof.

In fact, if it's in the budget and assuming you can find one who isn't a total boob, hiring a trainer to teach you exercise form in the beginning isn't a bad idea.

I'll also throw it out there that I'm always up for assessing form if you have the courage to film yourself and send me the link. Many people have done so in the past.

Having a good trainer or better yet a good PT assess your posture would also be a good idea. With even my online training clients I do what I refer to as a static posture assessment where they'll take and send me pictures of themselves in various positions so I can better guide their exercise prescriptions, loading parameters, and pre/rehab stuff.

Without knowing more about how you've gone about things in the past, it's hard to trouble shoot you.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I am limited as the the exercises I can do. I routinely ride a stationary bike, but keep hearing that doing the same exercises everyday is not good. Should I be taking off days in between? Or is it alright to ride everyday? I typically ride for about an hour a day.

What limits you to only stationary bike riding?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Steve,
    I am 33 and 229 lbs. I lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks when I started MFP and then hired a trainer. Since then, we have been lifting weights twice a week and I am doing cardio 3-4 times a week.
    Since adding the lifting, I have not lost any weight and sometimes see a small gain which I know is from recovery. When does this even out and I start to lose weight again?

Am I doing too much? Up the lifting? Reduce the cardio?
    I am at 1300 calories and barley eating back the work out calories mainly bc Im not hungry.

Hard to say exactly. That workload doesn't seem like too much to me. How long have you been with the trainer? I mean, when you start a new strength training routine, especially if weights are new to you or if you're coming off an extended break from them, it's pretty easy for some to realize enough muscle growth and inflammation that it masks fat loss. But after a month or two, the scale should start moving in the right direction again, assuming your nutrition and calories remains dialed in.

Now I don't know how many calories TOTAL you're consuming per day, but I will say that 1300 seems low for you. I'm not sure of your activity levels outside of the gym, but if you were my client, my goal would be to have you eating as many calories as possible while still allowing for a reasonable rate of weight loss. That seems to fuel success the longest.

When people slash calories by large margins, they tend to either burn out mentally after a while, even when they're feeling great 'right now,' or they burn their bodies out.
  • NewMeAT33
    Options
    I have been with the trainer for 2 weeks. So it is still very new. I have not touched a weight in years so this is like 'the first time.'
    I am eating around 1300-1500 a day. i am drinking on average 100 oz of water and really paying attention to my nutrition.
    I guess things will fall off/into place soon :)
  • cherikasalzmann
    Options
    bump
  • fitsin10
    Options
    bumping for later....... and thanks :)
  • chachii26
    Options
    I recently stated doing strength training after doing only cardio for 1 year; I needed a change because is getting boring and im not as committed anymore, so I gained weight!. What should be my approach? heavy and less reps or lighter and more reps? Im at a lost here! Please take in consideration that I want to lose 10-15 lbs in the process. Thanks!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I recently stated doing strength training after doing only cardio for 1 year; I needed a change because is getting boring and im not as committed anymore, so I gained weight!. What should be my approach? heavy and less reps or lighter and more reps? Im at a lost here! Please take in consideration that I want to lose 10-15 lbs in the process. Thanks!

With only a little bit of fat to lose left, I'd argue for heavier weight with lower reps. What I mean by that is you should be focusing on loads that keep you in the 5-12 rep range.

Now I'll also say that you could realize improvements by focusing on higher rep ranges as long as you were working hard with those lighter weights (towards failure) and increasing the load over time. I'd simply argue that it wouldn't be ideal.

Since you're new to weight training though, you can pretty much get by with anything that has you targeting all of your major muscles 2-3 times per week with a focus on form and getting stronger. As you progress, your focus needs to become more deliberate and exact. But that's sort of the beauty of being a beginner. It's easy to make progress. Which is why so many people realize results from DVDs, classes, traditional strength training, etc.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Have about 15 more minutes guys... get your questions in. Then I'm training 2 more clients than running around with the oldest daughter. Might go grad ourselves some kiwi yogurt!
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on powerlifting? I have a couple of friends who love it, and it's something I've given some thought to off and on. Primarily I'm a long-distance runner who tries to get in strength training (full-body circuit style) 2-3 days a week. However, I am not afraid of more weight and want to try a new challenge. How would you recommend I get started? I've been considering getting a trainer, at least initially.

Thanks!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    What are your thoughts on powerlifting? I have a couple of friends who love it, and it's something I've given some thought to off and on. Primarily I'm a long-distance runner who tries to get in strength training (full-body circuit style) 2-3 days a week. However, I am not afraid of more weight and want to try a new challenge. How would you recommend I get started? I've been considering getting a trainer, at least initially.

Thanks!

Hmm, it's hard to answer "what do you think about powerlifting." It's the same as asking, "what do you think of football." it's just a sport. And as a sport, I really like it.

If you're asking me how to train for it, now that's an entirely different question that would require me knowing a lot more about you. If you're not squatting, deadlifting, and benching right now though, obviously that'd be a great place to start.

I've done a bit of powerlifting training myself. For it, I've adapted a lot of stuff from Westside Barbell with their max effort, repetition, and dynamic effort methods. But that's only one school of thought when it comes to training for the sport.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Hmm, it's hard to answer "what do you think about powerlifting." It's the same as asking, "what do you think of football." it's just a sport. And as a sport, I really like it.

If you're asking me how to train for it, now that's an entirely different question that would require me knowing a lot more about you. If you're not squatting, deadlifting, and benching right now though, obviously that'd be a great place to start.

I've done a bit of powerlifting training myself. For it, I've adapted a lot of stuff from Westside Barbell with their max effort, repetition, and dynamic effort methods. But that's only one school of thought when it comes to training for the sport.

Point taken, the question was a little vague. :) I do squat already as part of my circuit training, but no deadlifting or benching as most of my circuit training is done at home without benefit of equipment beyond basic hand weights.

Obviously you don't know much about me, so I'll just ask this - how does one know where to start with regards to how much weight to lift, initially? I don't want to start out too heavy and risk injury, but nor would I want to start out too light and waste effort. Is there some kind of test you, as a trainer, use to create a client's routine?

Thanks again!