Question (for women): Do you "gain weight" on your period?

Options

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Most every woman will bloat due to water retention during menstruation.
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy in February and I can still gain anywhere from 1-5 pounds during my TOM (even though no period).
  • AnnKneeNorth
    Options
    Nope I lose lose lose weight
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I retain water, and even gain some water weight. Comes right off after it leaves.
  • PeteSuppoti
    Options
    In an odd turn of events, I gain weight when my gal is on her period.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm using Mirena as birth control and rarely have cycles anymore, and if I do they are only 1-2 days of spotting at most. No bloating. No PMS. No b*tchiness.

Best. Thing. Ever.
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    No, but I do hold on to bloat when I ovulate.
  • movn4ward
    movn4ward Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You are not alone, I have bloating that makes me literally one size bigger in my shirts and my bottoms are always tight for two weeks (including time of cycle). I don't usually get on the scale during my "on- week", but did for a challenge I am participating in last month. The week of I was 6 POUNDS HEAVIER than the week prior to and and following. I bloat and retain a lot of water.

I think my case is extreme as I have hormonal issues, but yes the scale can make you angry during that time. I notice that as long as I exercise, maybe even a bit harder, my retention and cramps are greatly diminished.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said, it's water weight.

To give you a personal example: I'm due to start on Monday. I stupidly weighed today (when I hadn't since last month). I hadn't lost a single bit--not one fraction of a pound was different. But I lost inches.

Conclusion? I probably weigh LESS than the weigh-in I had today, but the water retention of ToM kept me at a weight I've since dropped from.

Interesting that some women bloat ON their period while others bloat BEFORE (I bloat like crazy the week before I start then lose it all once I do).

EDIT: Also, from taking measurements every week like I was doing for several months, I also figured out my boobs swelled a full inch right before my period... which is both good and bad X_X
  • jenj717
    Options
    yep I think it is normal to have some weight gain. I don't know about the rest of the ladies but my biggest thing is a day or two before and during I am straving! I eat my normal calories (which usually is great) and I feel hungry and cranky. I always have to allow myself 200-300 extra calories for that week. I also work out harder- the cramps make it hard to start my workout but once I do the exersice does help a lot.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Without going over calories (1320 per day), I can easily gain 2-4+lbs right before I start. I avoid the scale bc it will only screw with my head.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm using Mirena as birth control and rarely have cycles anymore, and if I do they are only 1-2 days of spotting at most. No bloating. No PMS. No b*tchiness.

Best. Thing. Ever.

You give me hope!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    A few days before and for the first day, yes. I usually would hit a new low on day 2 or 3 though even if I still felt bloated and miserable.
  • Samanthaskywalker
    Options
    I believe you retain water when menstruating.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't know if guys will be comfortable/interested to read this topic :P But, for all the women out there...

I feel really bloated when I'm on my period, and I have a noticeably larger midsection. I'm on the second day of my period now. Earlier, I checked my weight on the scale and was surprised to see that I gained a pound since I last checked my weight (the day before the start of my period) despite the fact that I never ate over my calorie deficit. D: So I am wondering if it could be because of my period.

Also, I heard that somehow you shouldn't lift weights when you're on your period? Is that true? XD Thanks.

you can because of water retention ive never heard you shouldnt lift weights while on your period though thats a new one on me
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I can retain anywhere from 2-15lbs of water weight before and during my period depending on my diet during my cycle.

This was my first successfull TOM where I put on about 3lbs of water/bloat and all of it came off. The key for me during that time is to eat foods very low in sodium, and if I do go over, try to do better the next day and drink lots of water.
  • jules1202
    Options
    Very normal to hold fluid that time of month. I just started back on the pill and since then I went up a little with my period and now my weight won't budge so I am wondering if the pill is the problem or its just a coincidence.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Best. Thing. Ever.

You give me hope!
    Mirena was THE WORST thing I ever did to my body.
  • jules1202
    Options

Best. Thing. Ever.

You give me hope!
    Mirena was THE WORST thing I ever did to my body.

Women either love it or absolutely hate it. I myself fall in the second category; it gave me a lot of problems.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I don't know if guys will be comfortable/interested to read this topic :P But, for all the women out there...

I feel really bloated when I'm on my period, and I have a noticeably larger midsection. I'm on the second day of my period now. Earlier, I checked my weight on the scale and was surprised to see that I gained a pound since I last checked my weight (the day before the start of my period) despite the fact that I never ate over my calorie deficit. D: So I am wondering if it could be because of my period.

Also, I heard that somehow you shouldn't lift weights when you're on your period? Is that true? XD Thanks.

You can do all your normal exercise during this time. The body fluctuates and it's mostly water. The scale is a horrible tool sometimes.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.