Wife thinks I'm too skinny now, obsessed

Options
I don't have a recent picture but my profile picture is about 3 years old now, however I look fairly the same. Maybe a little leaner. I've lost 34 pounds since June 1st.

My wife is complaining that I am too thin. Others have commented to her that I am too thin. I've always read that as a runner, you know you've achieved the best long distance running weight when people start asking if you are sick!
She thinks I am too obsessed with the food tracking, the morning running & the after work biking. I take about an hour each. I don't interfere with anything family and always check if there is something going on.

I am 57 & have been down this road before. But in this 'chapter; I am filled with more energy and enthusiasm than ever before. I am taking advantage of the weather (upstate NY) until the winter comes when I plan to slow down to one workout a day and maintain rather than lose weight. I feel great but find it very disheartening because I care what she thinks.

This is going to have to be one of those 'to thine own self be true' experiences.

I don't want to go back to being a beer drinking, cheeseburger gobbling, avoiding depression through alcohol slob. I've got nothing bad in my life and am not running from anything.

Anyone else have such experiences?

Replies

• alexandra0713
    alexandra0713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My husband use to complain about my workouts. I too, use to workout at least twice per day training for triathlons. It took me quite a while to figure out that he wasn't actually upset about the workouts, he was upset because he wasn't getting to spend much time with me. I now only workout once per day in the morning so we can spend the evenings together. He's much happier now and actually I am too:-)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My situation isn't quite the same, but I do always have people commenting on my weight. It makes me uncomfortable when they say I'm skinny and don't need to work out or watch my diet or whatever. Heaven forbid I try to lose the 5 pounds I gained while binge eating from stress. Sorry, but my body doesn't feel right with five extra pounds of fat on it that weren't there a couple of months ago. I guess I'm not allowed to work out to try and prevent the heart disease and type 2 diabetes that run in my family because others feel that I don't need to exercise. The doctor thinks I'm healthy when I work out and try to eat better.

When it comes down to it, people are perfectly comfortable telling someone they're too skinny, but it's somehow rude to say the same thing when others are overweight. One of my friends is really skinny due to genetics, and he can't put on weight. People are always telling him he's too thin and it's embarrassing for him.